Author Topic: Trent Knobel back to the Saints?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Trent Knobel back to the Saints?
« on: September 18, 2005, 08:48:30 AM »
I was watching the Saints vs Sydney match and the saints were killed in the ruck by Jolly/Ball in the last quarter. Looking at their ruck division Ackland/Blake, both are duds and i believe that if Knobel was leading their ruck division they may have been able to hold off Sydney's comeback.

Seeing as Simmonds had a very good finish to the season, he may well take over as the no. 1 ruckman at Richmond. This means we could trade away Knobel, maybe for the Saints first pick?

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trent Knobel back to the Saints?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 12:27:31 PM »
IIRC Knobel and Thomas had a pretty big falling out when he left the club, so i can't see him wanting to go back there.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 08:25:19 PM »
Razor is right. IIRC Knobel wanted a slight pay rise and the Saints said no. Got pretty bitter in the end apparently.

Not paying Knobel though has proven more costly for St Kilda. They were smashed by Ball and Jolly.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 04:30:09 AM »
IIRC Knobel and Thomas had a pretty big falling out when he left the club, so i can't see him wanting to go back there.

Knobel a big loss for Saints
By Robert Walls
The Age
September 20, 2005

So why did the Saints let Knobel go? There's no doubt that Knobel didn't want to leave

Moorabbin. After growing up on the Gold Coast, the now 25-year-old was rookie-listed by the Brisbane Lions. Surrounded by the likes of Clark Keating, Jamie Charman and Beau McDonald, opportunities were slim. So he jumped at the chance to join the Saints. His first two years as a Saint delivered just 13 senior games, then last year he hit his stride. His 368 hitouts was ranked seventh in the AFL.

Compared to what his high-profile teammates were getting, Knobel was being paid peanuts. It's believed he put his hand up for a little more, but was flatly refused. It's also believed he was given less than a day to accept what he had been paid previously. When a little more time was requested, he was shown the door.

Knobel is now a much appreciated Tiger. Terry Wallace was quick to secure the big fella with the No. 1 pick in the pre-season draft. Knobel played 18 games for Richmond. Wallace knows that at 25 and with just 72 games to his credit the best is yet to come.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/09/19/1126982002581.html