Author Topic: Swear filter  (Read 28569 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Swear filter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
Creating a humourous account mocking the questionable antics of a self-confessed, serial troll?
Yes it was funny but it continued incessantly. It didn't need to. And it clearly was upsetting a fellow poster. Yes, Bo does take a rather unique view of our recruiting team but hey, if that is what he thinks, it's his opinion. Whether you think he is trolling then that is your opinion. If you find it offensive, report him. I really don't care what he writes as it doesn't offend me at all. In fact he makes me laugh. We all send him up and he takes it well. But if you don't realise when you cross a line with continual mocking then you may find it difficult to understand people's feelings and how they can be hurt.

Without going into any detail - I know for a fact it's a troll....and no, I don't have much sympathy for a grown man in his 50's deliberately going out of his way to be a stuffing pork chop on the internet then taking it to heart, cracking the shytes and carrying on like an even bigger stuffing pork chop when he gets mocked for it...I might find it slightly pitiful but mainly I find it stuffing hilarious.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »

Because other people take offence to them. Me personally I don't see the issue with them.

You don't understand the logic, you don't have an issue with them but you don't use them in front of certain people because they are offensive to them.

A contradiction? Or just covering all bases

BTW ever asked why people they take offence?

Ah nice try but you are missing the point (or deflecting?). If they didn't take offence to them then I wouldn't have an issue using them as I don't have an issue hearing them. Your last sentence is pretty much what my original thought process was i.e. why do people take offence to them?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »

Some of those names still post here if you haven't noticed.

Like who? Ramps was until recently but has since disappeared

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
words are wind
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »

Because other people take offence to them. Me personally I don't see the issue with them.

You don't understand the logic, you don't have an issue with them but you don't use them in front of certain people because they are offensive to them.

I'll ask. Why do they take offence at swearing? You would have seen the comments on the reported posts so what are the particular reasons?

Some further questions:-

1) if children are accessing sites, is this not a matter for their parents to supervise or at least discuss with them first?

2) How does the swear filter and resulting content compare to the Code of practice for FTA television? Are the rules on the site regarding language more or less stringent?

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »

Ah nice try but you are missing the point (or deflecting?). If they didn't take offence to them then I wouldn't have an issue using them as I don't have an issue hearing them. Your last sentence is pretty much what my original thought process was i.e. why do people take offence to them?

Not deflecting at all just trying to understand your point as it appears to me at least you are contradicting yourself

You say you have no problems with any words as they are just words but at the same time you admit to not using the same words in front of certain people because those people find it offensive.

If you don't care about the words then why do you make an any effort not to use them in certain circumstances, in front of certain people? It seems to be a contradiction

My other point was simply this, if you chose not use certain words in front certain people because they get offended have you ever asked them why they take offence?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »

I'll ask. Why do they take offence at swearing? You would have seen the comments on the reported posts so what are the particular reasons?

Some further questions:-

1) if children are accessing sites, is this not a matter for their parents to supervise or at least discuss with them first?

2) How does the swear filter and resulting content compare to the Code of practice for FTA television? Are the rules on the site regarding language more or less stringent?

We have already said what happens behind the scences via PM discussion and reported posts will remain private, as they should. You have made a assumption that  a lot of reported posts relate to swearing. This is not the case. Most reported posts relate to other posters trolling, bating and abusing other posters.

However, When a post is reported the system software converts any words the swear filter has changed back to its original form. So we are well aware of the language certain people are using. Rarely, are people suspended for the swearing in reported posts (exception the C word) but are suspended for the trolling, baiting, and abuse. These are the facts

Re your other questions

1) while I agree with your sentiment I would argue that it can't / doesn't happen all the time. Near impossible for parents of monitor their kids access all the time. Also, personally I reckon it is an easy out to say "it's up to a the parents". I come back to the same question why the need to swear, abuse? Surely adults can debate/argue/discuss things without needing to swear or abuse?

2) sorry not deflecting or avoiding but I really don't see the relevance to FTA laws and its code of practice requirements. Not comparing apples with apples.

When we set this site up we undertook a lot of research, got legal advice on a numbers of things and every thing we set up was to ensure this site was protected from any possible breaches. I still when required speak to my legal eagle and their advice to me remains the same, stick to what you've always done, don't open yourself to any grey and you're OK

Again I know people think it's funny, a joke and that we are over the top but its what we've been advised. So until we're told differently we keep doing what we do.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
Just to let you know it's working well lol

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »

Some of those names still post here if you haven't noticed.

Like who? Ramps was until recently but has since disappeared
Ramps is still here and others. I don't want to snitch. These posters often put forward strong points of view but they are entitled too.  I really don't mind them at all and often it is good to have a debate just like we are having now.  It would be pretty boring if we all agreed with each other. :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

Not deflecting at all just trying to understand your point as it appears to me at least you are contradicting yourself

You say you have no problems with any words as they are just words but at the same time you admit to not using the same words in front of certain people because those people find it offensive.

If you don't care about the words then why do you make an any effort not to use them in certain circumstances, in front of certain people? It seems to be a contradiction

My other point was simply this, if you chose not use certain words in front certain people because they get offended have you ever asked them why they take offence?

:banghead :banghead It's called respect, I don't use them because THEY don't like them. I personally have no issue with them. I'm sure there a plenty of things you have no issue with but choose not to do it because you know a certain person doesn't like it.

No I have never specifically asked because I'm not going to ask every bum in the street why they hate the word "C" but not "F" or why they think poo is not okay but then crap is. Which just circles back to my main point "I don't understand the logic of some words carrying more offence than others. Words are just words"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »

It's called respect

And that is it in a nutshell

It is all about respect

:thumbsup

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »

It's called respect

It is all about respect

Nice twisting, still doesn't explain why people even care

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »

It's called respect

It is all about respect

Nice twisting, still doesn't explain why people even care

Not twisting anything, you've explained why people care...you've answered it ..Respect

I have my own reasons why I care, why I get offended by certain words just like others would/do.

Said previously been on the end of some incredibly vile verbal abuse when I was younger. Witnessed others cop the same, stepped in to help and copped it as well not necessarily verbally

Let's just say It impacts...

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
with respect, we should be allowed to use the word 's h i t' - we are mature people here

:-\

2015 ...

Nope. Sunday best and 1955

:snidegrin
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »
I know some on here will say big deal but the number of female posters who have stopped posting over the last few years has been a concern. The intended or not derogatory/disparaging/sexist comments about women posted by some on here are highly offensive. At least the swear filter tones it down a bit. Not enough but a bit

My personal view on the disappearance of the elusive female poster is that with the amount of whining and whingeing kids on this site banging on about the same crap day in and day out is that they think why bother looking at a forum when they can get that same stuffing poo at home.