Author Topic: Swear filter  (Read 28560 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Swear filter
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:31:29 PM »
with respect, we should be allowed to use the word 's h i t' - we are mature people here

:-\

2015 ...
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Swear filter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
And on that topic, how does this filtering thing work Mods, because it seems that you can avoid it in many weird and wonderful ways so why have it at all?  Is it filtered by the site host or ISP, or is it just you guys deciding what to filter?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
with respect, we should be allowed to use the word 's h i t' - we are mature people here

2015 ...

Nope. Sunday best and 1955
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
And on that topic, how does this filtering thing work Mods, because it seems that you can avoid it in many weird and wonderful ways so why have it at all?  Is it filtered by the site host or ISP, or is it just you guys deciding what to filter?

Short answer is both

There are certain things that our site host filter, spam in particular

And yes we have swear filter as part of the forum software. Which we set up. As part of that process when a word Is added we have to include a replacement word.

Why have it? Number of reasons. Here's a couple

Firstly, facts are there are people on here that who seem to be unable to post anything without swearing, especially the F Bomb. Then there are those who get abusive towards others. The filter believe it or not takes out some of the heat of the abuse, granted probably not enough but it does help especially when we can't be on the site 24/7

Then there is the issue of kids having access to this site. We have a responsibility on that front as well. I am sure there will be people who will scoff at that but it is none the less an issue we have to deal with.

Again facts are we have lost a number of people posting on this site because of the swearing and abuse.

I know some on here will say big deal but the number of female posters who have stopped posting over the last few years has been a concern. The intended or not derogatory/disparaging/sexist comments about women posted by some on here are highly offensive. At least the swear filter tones it down a bit. Not enough but a bit

Perhaps we need to start being stricter with imposing suspensions with those who to try to avoid swear filter, like we have done with the "C" word?

While I appreciate what offends one person doesn't always offend another we have a responsilbity to make this forum a place where everyone feels welcome. It is certainly what we want to achieve. We also need to try and get some sort of balance, the swear filter despite its obvious flaws does help with that. As we've said many times we can't be on here 24/7 so again the swear filter does help in that area as well

2015 ...

With respect, in light of what has gone on today between a number of posters, which can only be described as absolute childish CRAP, i would say that your comment that "we are mature people here" is wrong.

Today's "efforts" by a number of posters were anything but mature.  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
like we have done with the "C" word?

This isn't directed at only you, but for everyone it encompasses. But I don't understand the logic of some words carrying more offence than others. Words are just words

which can only be described as absolute childish CRAP,

This is just an example of what I mean. Both words mean the same thing yet one is accepted?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »

This isn't directed at only you, but for everyone it encompasses. But I don't understand the logic of some words carrying more offence than others. Words are just words

Wish they were but they aren't. Having been on the end of some truly vile abuse when I was younger I can tell you that some words easily become more offensive

Without wanting to appear to having a go at you I ask you this:

are there certain words that you won't use or try not to use in front of say your mother, grandmother, parents, children or partner?

If your answer is "yes" then I ask you why if words are just words?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 10:04:16 PM »

Wish they were but they aren't. Having been on the end of some truly vile abuse when I was younger I can tell you that some words easily become more offensive

Without wanting to appear to having a go at you I ask you this:

are there certain words that you won't use or try not to use in front of say your mother, grandmother, parents, children or partner?

If your answer is "yes" then I ask you why if words are just words?

Because other people take offence to them. Me personally I don't see the issue with them.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »

Because other people take offence to them. Me personally I don't see the issue with them.

You don't understand the logic, you don't have an issue with them but you don't use them in front of certain people because they are offensive to them.

A contradiction? Or just covering all bases

BTW ever asked why people they take offence?

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
swear filters are so gay. we're all men here aren't we

I have to agree with the above.
What the hell has happened to this site over the last 18 months?
It used to be fun hear once and now it just turned into an over moderated Snip fest!
It's now a nanny forum full of whingers, dobbers and prudes! Nothing can be said in jest anymore without the kids removing it just incase it offends someone!
The place has slowly been brought to its knees by the whining
There was some good posters here once, the likes of Tiga, Coach Davey, Gerkin Greg, Rampstar among others were all good value and now we put up with the crap posted by Mrakov, tuckerbag and that Dookie guy......sheesh!!
Get it together mods or this site will be compleatly taken over by the prudes of this world ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:49:22 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 10:51:51 PM »
Agree.... place has become as dull, precious & humourless as....oh wait...criticising other forums is also verboten...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
swear filters are so gay. we're all men here aren't we

I have to agree with the above.
What the hell has happened to this site over the last 18 months?
It used to be fun hear once and now it just turned into an over moderated Snip fest!
It's now a nanny forum full of whingers, dobbers and prudes! Nothing can be said in jest anymore without the kids removing it just incase it offends someone!
The place has slowly been brought to its knees by the whining
There was some good posters here once, the likes of Tiga, Coach Davey, Gerkin Greg, Rampstar among others were all good value and now we put up with the crap posted by Mrakov, tuckerbag and that Dookie guy......sheesh!!
Get it together mods or this site will be compleatly taken over by the prudes of this world ::)
Some of those names still post here if you haven't noticed. And although I am male I have no idea who is and who isn't. Thus there maybe females or even younger types on here who want to come here for a discussion of football matters. We still all can have a laugh as many here are extremely clever and witty. I often visit for the laughs alone. However, there are certain lines that should not be crossed too.  I don't think that is too unreasonable.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 11:04:39 PM »
What lines would they be Mr. Lay Moderator? Do tell...

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
Creating a humourous account mocking the questionable antics of a self-confessed, serial troll?

- Gustav Mahler

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »
 :lol

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 11:34:09 PM »
Creating a humourous account mocking the questionable antics of a self-confessed, serial troll?
Yes it was funny but it continued incessantly. It didn't need to. And it clearly was upsetting a fellow poster. Yes, Bo does take a rather unique view of our recruiting team but hey, if that is what he thinks, it's his opinion. Whether you think he is trolling then that is your opinion. If you find it offensive, report him. I really don't care what he writes as it doesn't offend me at all. In fact he makes me laugh. We all send him up and he takes it well. But if you don't realise when you cross a line with continual mocking then you may find it difficult to understand people's feelings and how they can be hurt.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.