Author Topic: Your club's development gurus .... (afl site)  (Read 3828 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Your club's development gurus .... (afl site)
« on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Your club's development gurus

Jennifer Phelan
AFL.com.au
13 December 2015

RICHMOND

DEVELOPMENT TEAM
Mark Williams, Craig McCrae, Andrew McQualter, Ryan Ferguson

THE GUN
Since arriving at Punt Road at the end of 2012, Port Adelaide premiership coach Williams has featured as a significant part of the Tigers' development team. With extensive coaching knowledge, Williams – who most recently honed his development experience at Greater Western Sydney in the club's formative years – has also taken ownership of mentoring specific players over the last three seasons, including Dustin Martin. He also helped settle interstate recruits in Melbourne by showing them basic life skills such as performing hook turns in the CBD. This season, former Melbourne defender Ryan Ferguson will assume a full-time development role alongside Andrew McQualter in Williams' team, following the departure of Max Bailey, who has left to pursue charity work in Africa.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-12/your-clubs-development-gurus

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Your club's development gurus .... (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »
Chocco might be a great bloke and he might be an even greater mentor but I have serious doubts about his ability in developing players for the modern game.

Either our picks are just terrible  ie. Conca, Vlastuin, Lennon, GirlGriff, B Ellis, C Ellis, Elton Struggled, McBean, Batchelor, Arsebury, Sideshow Bob etc. etc. (not including traded players)

Or Chocco isn't the guru everyone thinks he is.

Question; Woululd these picks have succeeded at Hawthorn? And what player would they be now if drafted by them instead of us?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:40:13 PM by Tigeritis™©® »
The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 02:51:56 AM »
Chocco might be a great bloke and he might be an even greater mentor but I have serious doubts about his ability in developing players for the modern game.

Either our picks are just terrible  ie. Conca, Vlastuin, Lennon, GirlGriff, B Ellis, C Ellis, Elton Struggled, McBean, Batchelor, Arsebury, Sideshow Bob etc. etc. (not including traded players)

Question; Woululd these picks have succeeded at Hawthorn? And what player would they be now if drafted by them instead of us?

It's actually dumbfounding to think a club could get their picks or development so incredibly wrong. But guys like Deledio and Martin show you that even if your development sucks you can still get an excellent player, so it has to be the drafting IMO.

Vickery could have been Ziebell, Sidebottom, Shuey, Zaharakis, Ballantyne, D Beams, Hannebery, Motlop, Sloane

Griffiths could have been Fyfe, Carlisle, Duncan, Gunston

Conca could have been Caddy, Hepell, Prestia, T Lynch (GCS), Darling, Parker

Ellis could have been B Hill, Rowe, Dickson, Neale

Vlastuin could have been Grundy

Lennon could have been Cripps, McCarthy, Dunstan, Taylor, Brown

Obviously there's less developed players from the previous years but seriously look at the talent we overlooked and just torture yourself and wonder how we could get it so wrong...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 09:02:31 AM »
great question tigeritis though I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He is probably restricted by what he can do, by the narcissist in dimwit

I had doubts when they signed up that stkilda dud and now a Melbourne bloke leads our development team.  :lol
I still remember copping a spray on here about those 2, because they were just new and to give them a chance.

Well mcqualter has been here for nearly 3 years and he couldn't develop a tomato in my dads vege patch, he is that useless. He develops the way he played the game.

Mark Williams. The hack who looks like a clown is the biggest fail of the lot.
It's almost laughable that this idiot still has a job,  after doing nothing in 4 years to improve our forward structures. Nothing.

In summary was it chocos fault we didn't attempt to recruit a ruckman? I thought it was April fools day watching these ruckman go to other clubs
 Was it chocos fault to extend the flogs contract? Was it chocos fault to bring a crippled dud in Knights and Hampson to the club when most people with eyes knew they were cooked? Was it chocos fault we drafted the dud in Conca on a top 10 when everyone knew he was a second rounder?

Answer is no. Most of our problems are self inflicted. Dimwit has chosen the spud Frawley monkeyball route now he can pay the price.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »
I think McCrae will be the best of the bunch. Proven track record at Collingwood and he already looks like he can coach......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »

It's actually dumbfounding to think a club could get their picks or development so incredibly wrong. But guys like Deledio and Martin show you that even if your development sucks you can still get an excellent player, so it has to be the drafting IMO.

Vickery could have been Ziebell, Sidebottom, Shuey, Zaharakis, Ballantyne, D Beams, Hannebery, Motlop, Sloane

Griffiths could have been Fyfe, Carlisle, Duncan, Gunston

Conca could have been Caddy, Hepell, Prestia, T Lynch (GCS), Darling, Parker

Ellis could have been B Hill, Rowe, Dickson, Neale

Vlastuin could have been Grundy

Lennon could have been Cripps, McCarthy, Dunstan, Taylor, Brown

Obviously there's less developed players from the previous years but seriously look at the talent we overlooked and just torture yourself and wonder how we could get it so wrong...

:facepalm
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
I think McCrae will be the best of the bunch. Proven track record at Collingwood and he already looks like he can coach......

Yeah right. Until the narcissist tells him how to strangle the life out of his players

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
Why stop at 2008 it goes on and on eg Fiora over Pavlich, Tambling over Franklin,
It begs to ask has there been 1 common person at the club over all this time?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:00:36 AM by MintOnLamb »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »

Yeah right. Until the narcissist tells him how to strangle the life out of his players

Maybe Angus, but his brief is to develop the youth the way he knows best.
He already looks like a coach who says the right things and can recognise failings on field and can turn them around. :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »
I was having a chat with a Bulldogs mate last night, these are the players they've lost over the last 4-5 years

Griffen
Cooney
Ward
Higgins
Hill
Lake

Lose some top end senior talent, no worries still take massive steps forward.

What the hell are we doing down there?

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »
I was having a chat with a Bulldogs mate last night, these are the players they've lost over the last 4-5 years

Griffen
Cooney
Ward
Higgins
Hill
Lake

Tiddlywinks?  :snidegrin

Its our drafting, can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  I don't mind monkeyball but your meat and potatoes has to come out of kids from the national draft.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »

Griffen
Cooney
Ward
Higgins
Hill
Lake

Tiddlywinks?  :snidegrin

Its our drafting, can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  I don't mind monkeyball but your meat and potatoes has to come out of kids from the national draft.
Well said. Especially the bit about the sows ear.  :cheers

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 03:24:36 PM »
great question tigeritis though I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He is probably restricted by what he can do, by the narcissist in dimwit

I had doubts when they signed up that stkilda dud and now a Melbourne bloke leads our development team.  :lol
I still remember copping a spray on here about those 2, because they were just new and to give them a chance.

Well mcqualter has been here for nearly 3 years and he couldn't develop a tomato in my dads vege patch, he is that useless. He develops the way he played the game.

It's almost laughable that this idiot still has a job,  after doing nothing in 4 years to improve our forward structures. Nothing.

In summary was it chocos fault we didn't attempt to recruit a ruckman? I thought it was April fools day watching these ruckman go to other clubs
 Was it chocos fault to extend the flogs contract? Was it chocos fault to bring a crippled dud in Knights and Hampson to the club when most people with eyes knew they were cooked? Was it chocos fault we drafted the dud in Conca on a top 10 when everyone knew he was a second rounder?

Answer is no. Most of our problems are self inflicted. Dimwit has chosen the spud Frawley monkeyball route now he can pay the price.
I think list management is one thing and I agree with you but the question still remains...
If the players we picked up were playing for Hawthorn would they be just the same as they are now or would we be envious of those players wondering why we didnt pick them up?

I agree also that the coaches game plan may discourage natural flare as Dumma has but it still shouldn't mean that all skill decline across all of the players we have recruited considering one of the most important attributes we were after when selecting players in the draft was skill by foot.
In terms of skill many have got worse and can't even properly hand pass to a teammates chest or properly execute the trusted dinky 20 metre sideways special which is a staple of Hardwicks game plan.

I know that everyone loves Chocco on here but I'm looking at the results at hand and mostly it looks terrible in terms of player development. We could've excused the fact that we didn't have the resources in years gone by but we don't have that excuse any longer.
Im not asking about list management, that's for the other thread.
Rightly you have questioned the ability of both development coaches but I still have a final question:

Who's in charge of development?

Senior Development Coach- Mark 'Choco' Williams. 
Development Coach-Ryan Ferguson.
Development Coach-Andrew McQualter.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »
Guru mcqualter 
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »

hahaha & the head of development Chocco gets off scott free, you are an imbecile mate