Author Topic: Frawley vs Wallace vs Hardwick  (Read 2339 times)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Frawley vs Wallace vs Hardwick
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 08:13:08 PM »
Hardwick had more resources but he had a compromised draft. Frawley had the best list vs the rest of the competition.Campbell, knights, Richo, they just over rated the 2nd and 3rrd teir players on the list. Wallace had no resources and a poor list and over rated his own coaching ability.  None have actually been good teachers or good judges of talent.

The compromised draft... our pick 2 turned into pick 6.... pick 7 Caddy, pick 8 Heppell, Prestia, Tom Lynch.... all available. Pick 30 Parker was available.

I think we only complain about the compromised draft because we stuffed it up so badly.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
Ironically pick 2 was Bennell.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
Hardwick had more resources but he had a compromised draft. Frawley had the best list vs the rest of the competition.Campbell, knights, Richo, they just over rated the 2nd and 3rrd teir players on the list. Wallace had no resources and a poor list and over rated his own coaching ability.  None have actually been good teachers or good judges of talent.

if you reckon Richo Campbell & Knights are 3rd tier players you should stop watching the game & go follow golf & be someone's bag goffer. They were 3 very high quality players who needed a bit more help from the club.  :lol

No No No Richo, Campbell and Knights are examples of his first tier players (I'm not totally mad :) ) and I reckon his first tier had more talent than our current first tier (Jack, Lids, Cotch, Martin) and Wallaces first tier (An older Richo and Campbell again, a young lids) .  What Frawley did was over rate his second tier and third tier.  What Wallace did was bring in a rotten second and third tier.  I don't think he overrated them, I just think he prayed hard that the selectors could do their job.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »

The compromised draft... our pick 2 turned into pick 6.... pick 7 Caddy, pick 8 Heppell, Prestia, Tom Lynch.... all available. Pick 30 Parker was available.

I think we only complain about the compromised draft because we stuffed it up so badly.

Yeah but all the 17 year olds were gone from years previous, pick 2 was really pick 12 or there abouts for about 3 or 4 years.

But I agree we stuffed our drafts, which is why I am finally saying we must delist Jackson.  I've given him the benefit of the doubt over 8 or 9 years now, through the under resourced periods, and it's time to go.  In this highly resourced period he has consistently failed to find National Draft gems further down the rungs and the top picks he has hits and misses. Hits Lids, Cotch, Martin, Misses Griff, Conca

I wouldn't be surprised if we have done better from the rookie draft (Miles, Grimes) than our picks past 30 (in the last 5 years).

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »
Helicopter Campbell was a selfish, soft, unaccountable bludger and the start of an onfield cancer that we still haven't cut out.

No No No Richo, Campbell and Knights are examples of his first tier players (I'm not totally mad :) ) and I reckon his first tier had more talent than our current first tier (Jack, Lids, Cotch, Martin)

Nope - the current first tier's easily the best we've had since the 80's.....Hardwick's just strangled the life out of them...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 09:51:09 PM »

Yeah but all the 17 year olds were gone from years previous, pick 2 was really pick 12 or there abouts for about 3 or 4 years.

But I agree we stuffed our drafts, which is why I am finally saying we must delist Jackson.  I've given him the benefit of the doubt over 8 or 9 years now, through the under resourced periods, and it's time to go.  In this highly resourced period he has consistently failed to find National Draft gems further down the rungs and the top picks he has hits and misses. Hits Lids, Cotch, Martin, Misses Griff, Conca

I wouldn't be surprised if we have done better from the rookie draft (Miles, Grimes) than our picks past 30 (in the last 5 years).
You forgot BEllis. It's taken awhile for all to see but most have caught on.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »
To take that thought up if you look at footywire excluding the last two years which haven't really played out yet

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-richmond-tigers?year=2014
Rookies have played more games than the ND draft minus the first round

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-richmond-tigers?year=2013
3rd and 4th round ND just beat rookie picks in games played but one of those 4th rounders was a rookie promotion, if you put Petterd as a rookie pick then rookies beat ND minus the first round again.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-richmond-tigers?year=2012
rookies equal the 3 2nd rounders we had that year.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-richmond-tigers?year=2011
10 rookie games vs 20 ND minus 1st round.  What a crap draft that was.  This is a nil all draw.

Its not until 2010
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-richmond-tigers?year=2010
that ND 2nd round and below = 94 beats rookie 29 hands down and that's because of Jake Batchelor the rest of the ND failed.

WTF We do equally as well or better from rookie drafts 3 out of 5 years there and 2011 is almost a nil all draw.  We ought to beat it hands down every year but it says how weak round 2 and below of the national draft has been under Jackson.  There is no realistic way we can build a premiership team without regularly getting 2 or 3 good players per national draft.  We don't have the Sydney salary cap allowance, nor the attractive anonymity a player gets in Brisbane. 

If you get one good player in the ND and one in the rookie or another draft it still takes you 10 years to build 20 good players at which time a pile (half) have broken down or retired or moved on and your age and experience bracket just doesn't work.  You really need 3 a year to get 15 good players in 5 years and it helps if you get a Geelong great year and keep 8 (was it 8 or 6, anyway it was a lot).

We need a talent spotter for the lower draft levels.  Jackson clearly isn't it.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »

You forgot BEllis. It's taken awhile for all to see but most have caught on.

I take your point, B Ellis has played a lot of games but were they good games? Well that's in the eye of the beholder.    C Ellis is a worry too, he really needs to up his possession gathering skills.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »
The only worry with kids like C.Ellis, Menadue etc is if they continue to be poorly coached & developed under the current regime - otherwise they're the least of our worries...they're actually the most likely to come good as they can still be saved by a change in direction....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.