Author Topic: 2006 Ladder Prediction  (Read 2631 times)

PuntRdRoar

2006 Ladder Prediction
« on: December 17, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »
So where will we finish guys. Ive said that since our draw came out i dont expect big things....

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: 2006 Ladder Prediction
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 11:56:10 AM »

I reckon next year's competition is going to be very even, bottomed out clubs would have sufficient young talent to be competitive. The clubs who scraped into the finals or just missed out will probably finish in the same position (with the exception of the Dogs) The top clubs have good lists but not as much emerging young talent.

My prediction of the ladder at the end of the home and away season of 2006

1. West Coast - Made the GF, and nothing suggests they won't dominate next year
2. Adelaide - The contendor for the minor premiership
3. St Kilda - Talented list of players who aren't kids any more
4. Sydney - Great side, but I doubt they will have as much luck with injuries as they did this year
5. Geelong - List doesn't looked to have improved much
6. Melbourne - See Geelong
7. Western Bulldogs - Kids are continually improving and will pushing up the ladder
8. Brisbane - On the decline, but have shown plenty of spirit and still a finals contendor IMO
9. Kangaroos - Can't see how Hay is going to help their finals chances
10. Essendon - Had a dismal year, but young kids should push the club up the ladder
11. Port Adelaide - On the decline like Brisbane, but IMO don't have as much spirit so will probably tumble
12. Fremantle - Hot and Cold, probably will tumble as well
13. Richmond - Improving side with some good young players, but dodgy draw will hold us back IMO
14. Collingwood - Have picked up some young talent, but the list (in general) is getting older and slower
15. Hawthorn - Project side for the future, have kids with talent but aren't ready to carry the side
16. Carlton - Didn't do enough in the trade week and draft to stop them from getting back to back wooden spoons

2006 draft, my early predictions of the top 4
Carlton - Bryce Gibbs
Hawthorn - Scott Gumbleton
Collingwood - Joel Selwood
Richmond - Mitch Thorp

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 04:26:34 PM »
It often that there's two changes to the top 8 from year to year, one surprise packet and one side that takes a major fall.

Top 8 changes:  Roos, Dees out; Dogs, Freo in.

Surprise packet: Dogs - not really a surprise but I wouldn't be surprised if they went from outside the top eight to top 4.

Major fall: Roos - quick fixes and giving up good draft picks eventually catches up with you. Also although I think the Swans will make the finals but will come back to the pack a bit without Jason Ball.

Here's my 2006 ladder prediction:

1. St Kilda - Talented list although backline is suspect. Injuries hurt them this year in terms of getting their best 22 regularly on the park yet they still made the top 4 and will do so again.

2. Adelaide - Still reliant on its old guard so may drop away in a couple of years but should be able to repeat 2005.

3. West Coast - still young and we plenty of talent. Forward line is still a concern especially with Matera retiring when it comes to the finals but midfield strength will get them another top 4 spot.

4. Western Bulldogs - Finals footy for the Dogs with another year under the belt of their young midfielders. Old guard in West, Grant, Smith and Johnson still have another year or two in them. If Darcy can return to his old form straight after his reco then a top 4 spot isn't unrealistic. The big movers in 2006.

5. Geelong - Same old same old. Better than most but as they did nothing in trade they will need to extract further improvement out of their current group to challenge.

6. Sydney - Loss of Ball is a big loss and they only replaced him with Chambers who was a pseudo-ruckman from the Cats. They also had a dream run injury-wise which may not repeat. Will still make the finals but IMO will finish 5th-8th.  

7. Port Adelaide - Had a poor start to 2005 due to heaps of injuries but was good enough to still snag a finals spot and smash the Roos at the Dome. Sneak a lower top 8 spot.

8. Fremantle - Would definitely make the finals if Connelly wasn't their coach. Connelly gone if they miss. Haddrill was a big loss from their defence in 2005.

9. Melbourne - Hot and cold side. Can look a premiership threat when on song then just fall out of form and not win a game for a month. Could finish anywhere from 5th to 13th. A low finish may be the end of Daniher.

10. Richmond - We'll improve but the tough draw in the first half of year will IMO see us remain where we are. If best 22 stay on the park we could surprise and make the finals but winning 3 out of our last 13 games shows we lack depth if we cop a few injuries. Look out 2007-8 for the mighty Tiges  :thumbsup.

11. Collingwood - If Rocca, Tarrant, Richards and Buckley can stay on the park then they'll move up the ladder but they have an ordinary list who may not be on the same wavelength as their coach.

12. Kangaroos - A club with mediocre list which needs to go for quick fixes out of fear of going under if they have a bad year or two. Getting smashed in the finals at home against Port is a major body blow to confidence IMO.

13. Brisbane - On decline and heavily reliant on Jonathan Brown and its ageing premiership players.

14. Essendon - Gone for quick fixes in Camporeale and Heffernan. Another tough year for the Dons. Maybe Sheeds final year?!

15. Hawthorn - Have gone for all youth so lack experienced bodies. Will surprise against some and may start well in the first few rounds but will struggle to escape from the bottom 4 by round 22.

16. Carlton - Had a reasonable draft to start the rebuilding process but that won't help them for a few years to overcome their many many deficiences. Another piece of wood for the bluebaggers.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 05:40:04 PM »
13th

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 09:15:59 AM »
I think we'll make the 8 (6th or 7th) provided a few of the second and third year players step up like Jay Schulz, Brent Hatigan, Will Thursfield, Andrew Raines, Kelvin Moore and Daniel Jackson. If they don't, and we end up on having to rely too much on Browny, Cogs, Lids and Richo then I think we will finish similar to last season (10th to 13th). I guarantee that we won't get the wooden spoon as Carlton and Hawthorn have their hands all over it at the moment.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 10:28:31 AM »
we will finish 5th

adelaide will finish on top

saints will struggle to make the 8, they missed the boat over the past 2 years , just as the cats
melbourne are gone

surprise packets will be the tigers , as no one really believes we are the deal yet, and freo

sydney will slump also

dogs will climb

blx

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 11:13:11 AM »
im on the doggie bandwagon too, will climb the ladder (wow wonder who fostered that young fast skillful team at the doggies???).

If we dont make the eight i would like to finish as low as we can.

I would like to :

1. See Schulz and Moore come on as KPPs and Polo and Meyer take the next step up and start to contribute more midfield.
2. Browny to make a slow but steady recovery and finish the year strong.
3. Tivendale, Chaffey to go at the end of the year.

Tigers : 14th

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 12:36:45 PM »
We will challenge for the 8, whether we make it or not is another thing.

A few points I would like too make and this is just my opinion.

BUT I AM SICK TO DEATH OF ALL THIS DOGGIES BS,everywhere I look,  FFS we beat them first up and the return bout was a ripper and could of gone EITHER way.
We match the Dogs don't worry about that. They were flying at the end BUT lost to the dees when it mattered and melbourne did not exactly fly into the finals did they. The doggies played a few good games but sides will now focus on that run and carry a bit more than they did this year.

Like a dogs supporter I know, after the Richmond game he was cockahoop and declaring FINALS here we come - My comment was you are not there yet mate. COP THAT !

Dogs like us could make the 8  but may be middle of the road again.

Sydney - average side at best and Matera got WCE a few of their wins- they will need to replace his goals somehow, if they can they will be there abouts again.

One thing I will say is (Yes I know we didn't make it) But I wish it was us playing GF day WE WOULD HAVE BEATEN EITHER OF THOSE TWO SIDES  :thumbsup

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 03:10:14 PM »
Our team has that much potential in it, that its relaly hard to gauge where we might finish.

Best case scenario = 6th
Worst case scenario = 12th-13th

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »
4. Western Bulldogs - Finals footy for the Dogs with another year under the belt of their young midfielders. Old guard in West, Grant, Smith and Johnson still have another year or two in them. If Darcy can return to his old form straight after his reco then a top 4 spot isn't unrealistic. The big movers in 2006.

Sheesh talk about mozzing someone  :-\. Darcy has just redone his ACL at Bulldogs' training this morning and will miss the whole of 2006. Link:- http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=241409
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 05:35:17 PM »
Doggies should of traded some of their old brigade in Grant, Darcy, Smith, Johnson and West a couple of years back and gotten some dam decent draft picks and young players for them!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 07:55:39 PM »
I think can make the 8 - it depends on how the start the season.

So I'll say 8th ot 7th

Top 8:

WCE
Port Adelaide
ST Kilda - but will crash out of the finals in straight sets - far to many over rated players except for St Nick of course  ;D ;) :help :santa
Adelaide
Essendon - I think they will make it because Sheeds is a cunning old so'n'so
Bulldogs
Geelong - their like the Beatles song "Nowhere Man" - he's real nowhere man sitting in his nowhere land............ :help
Richmond

Cannot see Sydney making it - were lucky with injuries at the right time of the year in 2005

So my bottom 8 goes something like this

Sydney
Brisbane
Melbourne
Kangaroos
Collingwood
Freo - Connelly to be sacked in round 15  ;D
Carlton
Hawthorn

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 09:37:46 PM »

Freo - Connelly to be sacked in round 15 ;D

A truer word has never been said

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 11:01:42 PM »
Fremantle are soooooooo the LA Clippers of the AFL!

They are stuffing hopeless, watch for another poo season yet there won't be wholesale changes!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »

Freo - Connelly to be sacked in round 15 ;D

A truer word has never been said
You can hear the chant now as Connolly leaves his post....'Freeeeeoo...Out you go!