Author Topic: Roach plans 'run-with' revival - RFC Site  (Read 1594 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Roach plans 'run-with' revival - RFC Site
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:58:38 PM »
Roach plans 'run-with' revival

3:43:02 PM Tue 10 January, 2006
Jason Phelan
Exclusive to richmondfc.com.au

Having played just one senior match in 2005, Tom Roach admits his season fell well below expectations, but he's determined to recapture the form that saw him make eight senior appearances in his debut year.

A back-pocket experiment in round one against the Cats didn't work out so well for the 20-year-old more accustomed to a forward or wing role.

"I played round one last year and then didn't play another game which was pretty hard," Roach says.

"I think I lost a bit of confidence early. They tried me in the backline and it didn't quite work out - I got a few goals kicked on me and I lost a bit of confidence with that and it took a while to get it back.

"I was playing in the back pocket and I wasn't really used to it. They tried me as a run-with player on one of their small forwards and I just got cut up a bit early.

"I started to play good footy again by round 10 or 11 for Coburg. The start of my season was shocking which was a bit disappointing, but after that I started to play some good footy again and nearly broke through for a few games at the end."

Roach doesn't have any set goals in mind as to how many games he'd like to play, but he is certain of what he doesn't want to happen.

"NAB Cup, round one is my first goal and we'll take it from there - I just don't want to do what I did last year, which was play all of the pre-season cup, play round one and then not play again," he says.

Roach is enjoying a good pre-season with the carrot of a possible midfield role in 2006 to work towards.

"Pre-season's been pretty hard, but it's been good. It's been spread out really well and I'm enjoying it," he says.

"(Coach) Terry (Wallace) just wanted me to have a really good pre-season and to get stronger, fitter, quicker and all those sorts of things because he wants to play me as a run-with player (through the middle) this year, so I can go with the better onballers in the league like Buckley or Ricciuto - I've got to get a lot stronger to run with them."

Roach wears the number eight guernsey of his father, Tiger great Michael, but he is unfazed by the prospect of learning his craft in the shadow of the former goal-kicking legend.

"One of my goals is to get my name on the locker because there have been no number eights since my old man that have done that," he says of his ambition to play 100 games in the yellow and black.

"If I can do that, it would look pretty good with T. Roach right there under M. Roach."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=242255
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Roach plans 'run-with' revival - RFC Site
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
Intersting.

I don't see Roach making it and he is right up there as one of the batch I would have thought will be delisted.

If he can mature into a solid B grade player it'd be a great bonus for the club long term.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:47:23 PM »
I think he has the pace but (like many of his mates) his disposal & decision making seems to be the big problem - that and strength

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »
The kid has done heaps of weights and has bulked up, dont know about the tipped hair though ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »
The kid has done heaps of weights and has bulked up, dont know about the tipped hair though ::)

What about the skills Jack :help

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:56:56 PM »
Skills, well there lies  a little problem.
Has heaps of speed. Lets focus on the positives ;)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »
I dont care if he doesnt get the pill if hes playing as a run with player...as long as his opponent doesnt get it.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »
Intersting.

I don't see Roach making it and he is right up there as one of the batch I would have thought will be delisted.

If he can mature into a solid B grade player it'd be a great bonus for the club long term.

Agreed

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:03:28 PM »
Bring back Duncan eh Ramps ;)

Skills, well there lies  a little problem.
Has heaps of speed. Lets focus on the positives ;)

LOL.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
I dont care if he doesnt get the pill if hes playing as a run with player...as long as his opponent doesnt get it.

The good run with players today don't just tag like back in the day.

In the Rawlings,/Cornes/Hadley/Barker type mold you have to keep your bloke quiet but also be good enough to get your own pill but to have the skils to give it off well.

I hope Roach develops into a player of this class - highly doubt it.