Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 184650 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »
Those misses were pathetic.

Just because he has played well this year doesnt that excuse that performance today.

The one in the last was the owrseo for the 2 IMO.

Straight in from less 30 metres out and that  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #361 on: June 17, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »
Was poor today. Set shot misses really hurt us.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #362 on: June 17, 2017, 10:21:58 PM »
Continues to be physical around the packs but is starting losing the ruck contests convincingly is becoming a concerning trend. Needs to do more around the ground if he's going to get beaten in the middle.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #363 on: July 07, 2017, 07:42:27 PM »
Nankervis on SEN today [interview starts at 1:28:00]:

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/posts/6083292-sen-breakfast-july-7

----------------------------------------------------------

Nank's tank driving Richmond towards September

By Alex Zaia
SEN
7 July 2017

Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis dedicates his rise to prominence this season to new found continuity in both a physical and performance capacity.

Nankervis made the move to Punt Road from Sydney during the trade period and has thrived on being the Tigers number one ruckman after registering just twelve games in three seasons for the Swans.

“I was lucky enough to do a full pre-season so I didn’t really miss a session so the body’s feeling pretty good. It’s a long season so we need to keep playing good footy,” Nankervis said on SEN Breakfast.

“I think being able to play a few games in a row has been great. I’ve only missed one game this year and you gain confidence from that.

“To get the opportunity to play on such terrific players, you learn so much every week. I just want to keep improving and as a team I think we have a lot of improvement left also. It’s very exciting.”

With Richmond currently occupying fourth spot on the AFL ladder, Nankervis believes this current group are made of sterner stuff compared to previous years, and has urged his teammates to guard against complacency as the run in towards the finals approaches.

"I wasn’t around last year but I think from all reports it’s a completely different make up and the way the boys are playing I think it’s completely different to last year," Nankervis said.

“We have played some good footy this year but there are still eight weeks to go so there’s still a lot of water to go under the bridge this year.

“You see upsets every week so you can’t afford to look past the next week because if you don’t play your best footy you will get knocked off. Each week is a challenge for us so we have to focus on playing our best footy.”

Richmond take on St Kilda in Maddie’s Match this Saturday night at Etihad Stadium.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/07/nanks-tank-driving-richmond-towards-september/

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #364 on: July 10, 2017, 10:45:13 PM »
Form has dropped as the year has gone on. Doesn't help when you have to go at it alone but he's still young so let's hope we don't break him

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
Running the poor bloke into the turf.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #366 on: July 11, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »
He's still 4 years younger than Maric ever was at Richmond and will hopefully have more support from next year on...Maric never had it and was still good for 2-3 seasons.......I wouldn't be worrying too much just yet....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #367 on: July 11, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
Support next year?
Form who?

Dimmer will plead that they do just fine with Grigg.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
New forward Toby Nankervis primed to have big impact for Richmond against Dockers

Shayne Hope
West Australian
18 August 2017

The ruck revelation of the year could yet have his greatest impact as a marking target in attack after being thrust forward in Richmond’s hunt for a long-awaited premiership.

In an era when versatility is king, emerging big man Toby Nankervis wants to add productivity around goal to his bullocking brand of ruck work and physical approach to the contest.

The former Sydney fourth-string ruckman has been increasingly deployed up front alongside Tigers spearhead Jack Riewoldt over the past month.

And with tall teammate Shaun Hampson on the verge of a remarkable comeback from injury on the eve of the finals, Nankervis shapes as a crucial piece of the puzzle in multiple positions.

“It’s a new role for me,” Nankervis said of his time in attack.

“But if I can go forward, take a couple of marks, contribute on the scoreboard and provide some defensive pressure, as well as contribute in the ruck, then that’s going to be helpful for the team.”

Coach Damien Hardwick entered 2017 under all sorts of pressure and would’ve been tearing his hair out when Richmond’s ruck stocks were savaged early on.

Hampson, the Tigers’ first-choice ruckman last year, was placed on the long-term injury list in March with an ongoing back complaint.

Ben Griffiths battled repeated concussion episodes and it soon became apparent that much-loved veteran Ivan Maric wasn’t what he used to be.

Hardwick turned to Nankervis, a product of George Town on Tasmania’s north coast, who arrived in the system 12 months later than most and hardly got a look-in at Sydney.

The 199cm and 106kg bull was stuck behind flexible ruck options Kurt Tippett, Sam Naismith and Callum Sinclair in the Harbour City, while the Swans had a handy target called Buddy in attack.

“We had two or three other big guys and a pretty strong forward line, as well,” Nankervis said.

“It was hard for me to break in there.”

Nankervis sought a trade to Punt Road in pursuit of greater opportunity.

“It was a hard decision to make at the start,” he said.

“Everyone wants to be a one-club player, but it wasn’t to be for me.

“As soon as I got to Richmond, I just had it set that I was never going to look back. I was going to give it everything.

“I managed to complete a full pre-season and play some games in the JLT Series and that certainly gave me confidence.”

Nankervis grabbed his chance with both hands, immediately endearing himself to the Richmond faithful with two goals and 27 hit-outs in a stirring win over arch rivals Carlton in round one.

His gripping battle with Matthew Kreuzer was one of the highlights of the season opener at the MCG.

With the Tiger Army’s cult hero Maric as his mentor behind the scenes, new fan favourite ‘Nank the Tank’ went from strength to strength.

He has missed just one game, after being suspended for striking when he swung an arm back in frustration at Adelaide’s David Mackay.

It was Nankervis’ worst moment to date and came in one of only two games in which Richmond have been beaten comprehensively this season.

On return, he picked up where he left off by splitting the points with Fremantle’s Aaron Sandilands in their first career meeting.

From rounds 1 to 16, Nankervis spent 97 per cent of his game time in the ruck and was ranked by Champion Data among the league’s top big men for clearances, tackles, disposals and intercept marks. But with former basketball prospect Ivan Soldo promoted from the rookie list, Nankervis has been unleashed forward for longer stints, spending 36 per cent of his time in attack since round 17.

He is trying to fit into a forward line that has been steadily developing its chemistry.

Riewoldt is the mainstay and the fleet-footed Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Daniel Rioli have played important roles, with superstar Dustin Martin stepping in as required.

Nankervis has had mixed results.

In round 19, the big left-footer bagged three goals in the win over Gold Coast, matching in one outing his overall tally from 12 games in three seasons with Sydney.

He kicked 1.2 a week later against Hawthorn and went scoreless from 10 disposals against Geelong last round.

Nankervis, who turned 23 last week, is the Tigers’ third-most prolific contested marker this year, behind Riewoldt and full-back David Astbury.

He will be eager to prove a point against Fremantle at Domain Stadium on Sunday.

“The forward line is somewhere I haven’t played a lot of footy, but it’s a good role for me to go down there and learn,” he said.

“Each week you want to improve and that’s a massive area where I can do that.”

Hampson has not played a senior game all year, but has returned in the VFL and could be promoted for the finals.

Griffiths is still a chance to come back from a shoulder injury sustained on his return from concussion.

The duo’s availability would ease the burden on Nankervis, who has embedded himself in the best 22 and stands ahead of Soldo in the pecking order, but is also feeling the physical toll of his first full season at AFL level.

“Especially playing in the ruck, you definitely feel it,” Nankervis said.

“But it’s something that I’ll no doubt get used to.

“I’m a bit tired and sore, but so is every other player in the comp.

“I’ve had no injuries, touch wood, so I’m ready to get into these next couple of games.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/new-forward-toby-nankervis-primed-to-have-big-impact-for-richmond-against-dockers-ng-b88571904z

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Please stop talking about Hampson

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
Agree......need to maintain the element of surprise by keeping our secret finals weapon under wraps... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
Good Grief

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
And with tall teammate Shaun Hampson on the verge of a remarkable comeback from injury on the eve of the finals,

Don't want to steal Dio's thunder but...

IT'S HAPPENING

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »
Nankervis in his 20th game for the Tigers (plus 12 at Sydney), finished with an AFL career-high 26 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five clearances, four marks, six score involvements, six tackles, 14 pressure acts, 32 hit-outs, one goal and 239 metres gained.

Those 26 disposals were the equal most racked up by an AFL ruckman in the 2017 season (together with Adelaide’s Sam Jacobs).

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-08-21/nank-continues-to-rise

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: August 27, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
Recruit of the year  :clapping