Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 184624 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #855 on: September 02, 2022, 11:15:53 AM »
I agree completely WP.

I love Nank, but his choice as captain was an error IMO. Take Gawn out of equation and find me a successful captain as a ruckman. Don't like dual captains. Both players are injnury prone. It wouldn't surprise me if the club came out and said Nank was carrying an injury, and was selected cause having both dual captains injured is embarassing.

I'd begin a new era, I'd refresh the leadership group, I have said from day 1 that Graham and Vlastuin should be captain and vice captain. I still stand by that. I'd also genuinely consider Daniel Rioli. I love the idea of an indigenous captain with how rich we have been with our indigenous player and academy. I want the best leader though but if it were Daniel I'd be thrilled.
Go Tigers!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #856 on: September 02, 2022, 11:29:34 AM »
Totally agree with WP and Tigerland.  I think Nank especially has struggled.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #857 on: September 02, 2022, 11:33:29 AM »
Re: captaincy

Floss, Baker, Rioli. All good options IMO

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #858 on: September 04, 2022, 04:53:27 AM »
25. Toby Nankervis

Colossal captain’s game. Made the most of the Lions being without their No.1 ruckman and dominated at stoppages, winning hit-outs and clearances throughout the night. Strong numbers at the end of the game: 26 disposals, 18 contested possessions and nine clearances, while 13 of his 41 hit-outs went to a teammate’s advantage.

Foxsports rating: 9

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Broadsword

« Reply #859 on: September 04, 2022, 09:30:22 AM »
25. Toby Nankervis

Colossal captain’s game. Made the most of the Lions being without their No.1 ruckman and dominated at stoppages, winning hit-outs and clearances throughout the night. Strong numbers at the end of the game: 26 disposals, 18 contested possessions and nine clearances, while 13 of his 41 hit-outs went to a teammate’s advantage.

Foxsports rating: 9

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76
So basically whoever wrote this never needs to be consulted for their football opinion ever again--took a look at the stats and farted a dumbf*ck opinion out their face trumpet. Nein, nein, NEIN!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #860 on: September 04, 2022, 10:07:01 AM »
Would think that the glaring stat is that out of his 41 hitouts ONLY 13 went to the advantage of his team-mates

And someone thinks is a great number?

I'd give him a 2 and that's being generous.  It was an atrocious game
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #861 on: September 04, 2022, 02:28:07 PM »
I still think Floss would make a good captain. I hope he gets the nod next year.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #862 on: September 04, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
I think he was a 4 or 5 , my disappointment is he didn’t think it through and take advantage of not having a recognised as an opponent . He tried his guts out but if he thought it through and worked a plan with the mid fielders we may have even won

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #863 on: September 04, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »
Nanks cause certainly wasn’t helped by not having his number one midfielder there for more than half the game

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #864 on: September 04, 2022, 03:54:13 PM »
Good point

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #865 on: September 04, 2022, 05:12:45 PM »
Given Neale dominance at stoppages, I still can't believe Nank didn't try or was at least instructed to try thumping the ball 30m forward when he had a free hit. Neale can't get the footy if he isn't near where the ball is.  It would've also gained us territory and forward momentum as long as every Tiger mid and half-forward up the ground is on the same page and ready for it.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #866 on: September 04, 2022, 07:36:07 PM »
Exactly this. It was 2018 and when grigg went against grundy, grundy just absolutely belted the ball forward and instantly put our defenders under pressure

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #867 on: September 05, 2022, 09:19:42 PM »
Would think that the glaring stat is that out of his 41 hitouts ONLY 13 went to the advantage of his team-mates

And someone thinks is a great number?

I'd give him a 2 and that's being generous.  It was an atrocious game

I don’t think 13/41 hit outs to advantage is bad at all. The problem was that a lot of the remaining 28 hit outs seemed to be to disadvantage i.e. sharked by Neale.

The game just proved to me what I’ve thought for a while in that the ruck position is the most overrated one in the team. Just need someone who can make a contest in the ruck, compete when the ball hits the deck and provide a marking option around the ground. Nank has mostly been very good in this regard but clearly had a poor game especially with the first 2 items.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I personally wouldn’t give a ruckman not named Gawn or NicNat (if he could keep fit) anything more than 400-500k a year as it’s been proven many a time that a makeshift ruck can do the job well enough. Gawn and NicNat (maybe even Ryder) are the only ones in recent memory who could consistently provide hit outs straight down the throat of their team mates regardless of who the opponent is.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #868 on: September 05, 2022, 09:56:01 PM »
 no blame heading to the mids that allowed Neale and co to be so damaging. Nope it was all Nanks fault.

All of a sudden its about hit outs to advantage. IT HAS NEVER BEEN A STRONG PART OF HIS GAME.
His real worth has been nullifying oppo ruckmen breaking even and then getting to work when the ball hits the ground.

People do realise the only player he went up against who was shorter than him was McStay.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #869 on: September 05, 2022, 10:00:30 PM »
Did you just ignore my comment? I literally said I think his hit out to advantage ratio was actually good but the hit outs to disadvantage was what made his game poor. Not to mention the times he grabbed the ball out of the ruck and handballed straight to a lions player or to their advantage atleast. Yes midfielders should also cop some of the blame but doesn’t hide from the fact that nank was also poor.

Also regardless of their heights he was rucking against part timers at best.