Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 183914 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick is "very confident" small forward Shai Bolton will stay a Tiger (H-Sun)
« Reply #465 on: September 02, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »
Hardwick is "very confident" small forward Shai Bolton will stay a Tiger

Lauren Wood
Herald-Sun
September 2, 2019

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is "very confident" that small forward Shai Bolton will stay a Tiger despite reports linking him to West Coast.

The 20-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season with a suggestion made on Sunday night that the Eagles had made a play for the Western Australian.

But while Hardwick said any interest would be natural, he backed the exciting forward to remain at Punt Rd.

"That’s what happens when good players are out of contract," he said.

"We understand that, and Shai – as far as I’m concerned – is firmly in our future.

"I love what he brings and he’s just starting to scratch the surface of his career. I think we’ve got a great coaching group that is going to bring out the very best of Shai. That’s something that will happen in due course.

"We’re very confident that he’ll stay, but once again these things are out in the public domain, so we’ll see where it ends up."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-rolling-footy-news-from-across-australia-for-monday-september-2-2019/live-coverage/a525ea1f2e28af6aed8d8c0661f909a4

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #466 on: September 02, 2019, 08:40:15 PM »
This bloke's as a reliable source as they come on the internet (no not our old mate Bo, the post above):

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-draft-targets-rumours-2019.1216210/post-62642076

:shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2019, 07:55:04 PM »
SHAI BOLTON

Expected to stay at Richmond despite offers from rival clubs including West Coast. Since joining the Ralph Carr stable, brought in by Dustin Martin, has redoubled his efforts and got himself fit. Loves the Tigers so not keen to leave.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trades-unplugged-superfooty-trade-experts-look-at-where-the-big-names-will-be-playing-next-season/news-story/05d5f3999bdd0c8fb69882704c019905

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma ultimatum brings out Bolton’s best (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #468 on: September 04, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
Dimma ultimatum brings out Bolton’s best

Lauren Wood,
Herald Sun
4 September 2019

Rising Richmond star Shai Bolton has revealed he was given an ultimatum by Damien Hardwick and the Tigers coaching staff to lift his fitness heading into the final year of his contract.

The talented but inconsistent forward had played just nine games in two years, and missed the Tigers’ drought-breaking 2017 premiership.

The West Australian returned to Perth during the summer and started a gruelling regimen with personal trainer Saia Wood-Halafihi.

Four times a week during the middle of the day he would borrow his mother’s car and make a 130km round-trip from his home in Mandurah to knuckle down for the workout sessions.

“It was kind of like (it could have been my last year and I had to give it everything),” he said.

“I just wanted to prove myself and show them that I can work hard and play the football that I want to play.

“I just wanted to show the club ... I just really wanted to focus on this year and coming back strong and to Richmond as good as I could.”

The hard work has paid off, with Bolton able to improve his stamina and play 16 games this year, including a Rising Star nomination.

He is now about to embark on his first AFL finals series, kicking off in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Captain Trent Cotchin says Bolton’s improvement this year is a “credit” to the speedy small forward.

“When he was drafted … he was super shy,” Cotchin told the Herald Sun.

“He’d come from Perth and had a great relationship with his family ... he struggled a little bit being away from home, but he had a really big off-season and then pre-season last year and for him it’s just about finding that consistency, which I think we’ve started to see.

“It’s just about taking that to a new level.

“To be proactive in his own development was a credit to him and obviously he’s reaped the rewards this season as well.”

Bolton has become a vital cog in Richmond’s newly-dubbed “mosquito fleet” — which includes Daniel Rioli and Jason “George” Castagna — booting 13 goals this year.

“A lot of the small forwards are pretty close to each other,” Bolton said.

“We just practise every day on our goals and we’re always close when we travel. We have a close relationship which is good.”

As the Tigers look to repeat their 2017 glory, coach Damien Hardwick has been excited by the renewed energy provided by the likes of Bolton.

“When it clicks for Shai, it really really clicks,” Hardwick said.

“Him and Daniel Rioli and George are so important to the way we play.

“The common misconception is ‘oh, they’re not massive stat-getters, they’re not massive goal-getters’, but the reality is they help us win a lot of footy games.

“That’s why they’re so important to the way we play.

Born in Katanning, a small town just over three hours south-east of Perth, Bolton had always eyed football as his path.

His father, Darren, played two games for Fremantle in 1999.

He won a best and fairest with Peel Thunder, and after a stint boarding at Wesley College in Perth, Bolton quit school after Year 11 to channel everything into his AFL dream.

He now loves Melbourne life and insists he has not been distracted by the fact he will be out of contract once the season ends.

“I’m just focused on football. I’ll let my manager do all the talking with the club,” he said.

“I’m focused on now with Richmond and the finals. I love playing with Richmond and being with them.”

The 20-year-old is eyeing more midfield time, endeavouring to soak up as much as he can from stars such as Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards and Cotchin.

“It will be the first time I play on the big stage,” Bolton said of Saturday night.

“Hopefully we can go to the ‘Gabba and get a good win. I used to get nervous in my first and second year, but now that I have a few games under my belt I don’t get too nervous.”

Personal trainer Saia Wood-Halafihi puts Shai Bolton through his paces in Perth. Picture: Instagram

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmond-young-gun-shai-bolton-on-the-gruelling-summer-that-propelled-him-to-finals/news-story/a7faba1fca5a41b83d86dcb35e8c5dc5

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dimma ultimatum brings out Bolton’s best (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
“The common misconception is ‘oh, they’re not massive stat-getters, they’re not massive goal-getters’, but the reality is they help us win a lot of footy games.

I am sure that would not happen

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #470 on: September 08, 2019, 03:41:38 AM »
Richmond’s Shai Bolton takes Mark of the Finals contender

Chris Robinson
The West Australian
Saturday, 8 September 2019

Is this the Mark of the Finals?

Shai Bolton got some serious air in the first half of Richmond’s qualifying final clash with Brisbane in front of a loud Gabba crowd.

The South Fremantle product launched himself onto the shoulders of Brisbane’s Lachie Neale in the second term, getting both hands to the ball before juggling the grab on the way down.

“Look at the elevation there,” Seven’s Jobe Watson said.

Even better, Bolton then quickly bounced to his feet and found Tom Lynch for a mark and goal.

Bolton would later get on the end of a fast break for a goal of his own to cap a big second term for both himself and the Tigers, with the visitors ekeing out an 11-point lead at the main break.

The strong quarter highlighted why West Coast is reportedly interested in luring the soon-to-be out-of-contract 20-year-old back to WA at season’s end.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/richmonds-shai-bolton-takes-mark-of-the-finals-contender-ng-b881316479z

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #471 on: September 08, 2019, 07:00:32 AM »
Was awsome big game player so much x factor.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #472 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
“He [Bolton] is like a big-game player. He does some things that most other people can’t do,” Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said.

“He’s going to build on what he’s doing and he’s only going to get better and better through the experience.

“He’s still really young. He’s been in the system three years now, but he’s still a second-year player, really.

“I think he’s going to be a really special player for us going forward.

“He’s starting to understand what the game of AFL footy’s about.

“We’re very lucky to have him in our squad.”

Bolton finished the match with 13 disposals, three inside-50s, four tackles, one goal, three goal assists and six score involvements.

Bolton is averaging 14.4 disposals, 3.6 inside-50s, 3.2 marks, 5.7 score involvements and 3.6 tackles per match this season and he’s kicked a total of 14 goals.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-10/shai-shineson-september-stage

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tight bonds behind Shai Bolton's breakout (Lakes Mail)
« Reply #473 on: September 19, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »
Tight bonds behind Tiger's AFL breakout

Anna Harrington
Lakes Mail
19 Sep 2019

Anyone watching Shai Bolton practising his goalkicking pre-game with close mate Daniel Rioli at the Gabba two weeks ago would have had no idea how nervous he was.

The 20-year-old Tiger was stepping out for his first AFL final, determined to remain unfazed by the big occasion, when the butterflies hit.

But he and Rioli had a winning strategy - "go out and have fun" - and they did just that.

"I tried to treat it like another game but when I came to the game I got a bit nervous," Bolton told AAP this week.

"Obviously it's a big game and I normally don't get like that during games ... but once the ball went up I was all good."

Bolton played his role in the win, kicking a goal and compiling 13 disposals as Richmond blitzed Brisbane to set up their third preliminary final in as many years.

For the flashy West Australian, it was another high point of a breakout year that started with a self-imposed brutal pre-season.

Heading into 2019, Bolton had just nine AFL games to his name and his future was uncertain.

"I had to really focus on getting fit. I don't think I was as fit as I could be," Bolton said.

"So that's why I went home and focused on trying to get as fit as I can."

Seventeen AFL games later, Bolton has made his finals debut, signed a new contract and become a fixture of Richmond's side - playing every game since round 15, earning a Rising Star nomination and kicking 14 goals.

"He's obviously got an enormous upside and his his best games are as good as anyone's," teammate Shane Edwards said.

"Having someone there on the half-forward line that can also rotate through the midfield, puts on enormous pressure, really great finisher and a great team player is everything you want in a half-forward.

"And he's still really young."

Edwards and Rioli were two mainstays in Richmond's 2017 premiership team - and this year, the Tigers have reaped the rewards of their faith in two other young indigenous players in Bolton and Sydney Stack.

While Stack quickly took on cult hero status - playing 17 games and finishing third in the Rising Star, Bolton's rise has been slower but arguably just as impressive.

The 20-year-old is quick to credit Edwards for his role in his development.

Edwards is the first Indigenous player at Richmond to reach both the 200 and 250-game mark And has long set the tone on and off the field.

In rounds 16 and 17, the Tigers fielded a club-record five indigenous players - Edwards, Rioli, Bolton, Stack and Derek Eggmolesse-Smith. The milestone was a far cry from Edwards' early years, when at times he was the only Indigenous player at the club.

"He's been a big influence. The longest Indigenous player to have been at Richmond - he's a big role model to all us Indigenous boys that are here," Bolton said.

"All of us pretty much look up to him.

"When I've played a bit of midfield, he's given me some pointers on how to play and how to set up in the midfield."

While the Tigers are knwpon for their tight-knit playing group, Bolton is particularly close to Rioli.

"Me and Daniel are pretty tight, we have a kick after training all the time and then go get some breakfast together," Bolton said.

"But we're all a pretty tight unit, especially us Indigenous boys, we're pretty close."

It was that close bond that helped Bolton decide that his future lay at Punt Road.

He had been linked to a move to West Coast, but resisted the lure of home and family and made the "easy" decision to sign with Richmond until the end of 2021.

"There was a chance of me going home but I just love it over here ... I just love what the boys bring here, we're all a close unit - we're all like brothers," Bolton said.

"There was a little bit of a chance of me going home, obviously with family but I'm not homesick or anything.

"I love Melbourne, my family will come over whenever they can so I see them, so I didn't see really any point going back home."

https://www.lakesmail.com.au/story/6394782/tight-bonds-behind-tigers-afl-breakout/?cs=4783

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2019, 02:18:16 AM »
Did some nice things up forward but loved his work rate at the end of the Q3 (i think) to get back into D50 and spoil the ball surrounded by 3 cats players most likely saving a goal

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2019, 02:23:41 AM »
One of the only players stats don’t paint the entire picture sometimes... a bit like Georgie....  :gotigers

YOU F$&KING BEAUTY!

WHAT A NIGHT!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #476 on: September 21, 2019, 02:39:29 AM »
Thought he was very good. Applying pressure from the beginning when no one else really was.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #477 on: September 21, 2019, 05:42:40 AM »
Shai Bolton – 4

Didn't have a major impact up forward and struggled to get involved in the contest. Didn't have a single tackle, which will be a concern, and also didn't hit the scoreboard.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-20/every-tiger-rated-from-the-preliminary-final

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »
Was very good to much class.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #479 on: September 21, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
Not a great game.