Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 188669 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
RICHMOND expects to be granted an AFL Women’s licence for the 2019 season.

Lauren Wood,
Herald Sun
23 May 2017

RICHMOND expects to be granted an AFL Women’s licence for the 2019 season.

The AFL announced two weeks ago it would hold off expanding the successful league for another season, when at least two teams would be granted entry.

The bidding process began last week. The 10 clubs not currently holding an AFLW licence were given a month to stake their claim before a mid-year ruling from the league.

The five clubs which unsuccessfully sought a licence last year would receive “priority weighting” when the AFL considers adding to the foundation eight-team competition.

Richmond president Peggy O’Neal affirmed to members the club would pursue a licence.

“Richmond Football Club is committed to being part of the expanded AFLW competition, indeed we expect to be when a final decision is made on which clubs will be included from 2019,” O’Neal said.

“We put a very sound submission to the AFL to be included in the inaugural competition and were extremely disappointed to miss out.

“The AFL has stated that provisional licence holders, such as ourselves, will be at the front of the queue when expansion occurs and we will again be making a very strong case for inclusion.”

On the club’s website, O’Neal wrote that “no other sporting club can match the leadership role we have taken when it comes to gender equity”.

She also believed Richmond was the strongest-positioned Victorian club to support and nurture indigenous female participation and talent and said the club’s commitment to supporting female talent in its academy zone and alignment with Bendigo Thunder would be a major asset in its bid.

“These activities — and others — will all feed into a list-build strategy that will have us well-placed for 2019,” O’Neal wrote.

“There is more exciting progress that will be shared in the coming weeks but I wanted to assure our members and supporters that having an AFLW in yellow and black is our ambition, and our expectation, and we will be doing everything in our power to ensure that it becomes a reality.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/richmond-expects-to-be-awarded-a-licence-when-the-afl-womens-expands-in-2019/news-story/94d7b9d31dc29cf6ff81fc7e6e8cea09
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:51:47 PM by one-eyed »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond to have AFLW team in 2020 [merged]
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
We already have a woman's license. Just ask bellis and Prestia
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:39 PM »

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
One thing you wouldn't accuse AFLW footballers of is shirking from contests.

As for us getting the next AFLW side, the media always mention Geelong and St Kilda as being next in line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »
A red herring, Lets get the men's team right first.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
I wouldn't do anything to contribute to the AFL's coffers, drama or rubbish anymore.  stuff their new comps, new clubs, new rules every week and stuff the clowns who have ruined the game.
Lots of people name their swords......

Ruanaidh

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
If nothing else this thread has spawned some entertaining and insightful comments :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
TIGERS CONTINUE AFLW PUSH

RICHMOND also remains hopeful its push for an AFLW license will be successful when the league officially expands in 2019.

The AFL has already confirmed that it will not add to the eight-team competition next year, despite the success of its inaugural season, but has forecast more teams coming in 2019.

A host of sides — including Essendon, Geelong, St Kilda, North Melbourne, West Coast and Richmond — have already put their hands up to be included in the expansion discussions.

However, it remains likely that only two teams will be given a license in 2019, with more expected to follow in the years after that.

But new Tigers AFLW football operations manager Kate Sheahan has called on the league to be bold when they think of expanding the competition.

“They’ve (the AFL) already been bold, so why are they going to hold back now?” Sheahan told Fox Footy’s AFL 360 on Tuesday night.

“If they’re only going to put two or four (teams) potentially in 2019 and then they put in another two in 2020, what’s the point of another year?

“Everyone’s saying there’s not enough talent out there. I just don’t believe that. The AFL told me a couple of months ago there are 12,500 new players. We can’t find 200 to 400 girls out of that?

“No one’s expecting this competition to be the same standard as the men right now — we just want the competition.

“I went on radio recently ... and I had a Richmond supporter ring up — and his father played for the Tigers — and he was nearly in tears because he wanted his daughters to play for the Richmond Tigers.

“I got emotional hearing that because we all want to play, we all want to represent our footy clubs and be part of something that’s bigger than what we see here.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-media-watch-richmond-confident-in-very-strong-dustin-martin-offer-hopeful-of-aflw-team/news-story/d61e6565462b7dc9414a58acb9a5c479

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »
President Peggy O’Neal and our AFLW Operations Manager @KateSheahan1 delivered the Club's submission for an AFLW licence to @AFL_House today:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/875616802033647618

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm presuming this is part of our push for our own AFLW side.

----------------------------------------------

BENDIGO Thunder's partnership with the Richmond Football Club will reach new heights this Sunday, when the NFLW ladder leaders play their first home game at the Punt Road Oval.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/4770509/thunder-to-light-up-punt-road-oval/

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
I think the RFC should get serious about being the SJW of AFL.

Let's have a our women's team completely put together solely with transgender persons to represent tolerance, colour, diversity & inclusiveness and really get this PC bus rolling.  :rollin
 :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
Eye of the Tigers is focused on AFLW team

afl.com.au
27 August 2017

WITH licences for the 2019 AFL Women's season set to be announced next week, Kate Sheahan is bullish about Richmond's chances.

"My gut feeling is we're in a really good place," Sheahan told AFL.com.au.

"It's our time. The club's in a really good place to be able to facilitate a team.

"I know for a fact we've got sponsors who have committed to AFLW when we get our team. It's a terrific place to be in, knowing we can just hit the ground running."

Sheahan, who sustained a serious knee injury in her one and only game for the Magpies’ AFLW team this year, was approached by Richmond CEO Brendon Gale for the role of the club’s women’s football operations manager the day the AFL Commission announced the AFLW would be expanded in 2019.

"He and [the Tigers’ talent general manager] Dan Richardson came to my neck of the woods and had a coffee with me, and they pretty much said, 'Would you like to do a presentation to our executive on what you think women's football operations should look like?'"

"They had so many questions. They wanted to know my experience at Collingwood, what I thought of women's football, my experience in the elite tennis industry and how that all ties together."

Sheahan believes the greatest selling point of the club's submission is its work with male indigenous players, and how easily that work can translate to working with female indigenous players.

The club runs the Laguntas program through AFL Victoria, which last year had five Indigenous players – Kayle Kirby, Mitch McCarthy (both Collingwood), Dion Johnstone (Melbourne), Jamaine Jones (Geelong) and Tristan Tweedie (Western Bulldogs) – drafted by AFL clubs. Current Tigers Daniel Rioli and Nathan Drummond are also graduates of the program.

Richmond also hosts the Korin Gamadji Institute (KGI) at its Punt Road headquarters, where Indigenous students can study up to year 10.

"What [Richmond is] doing blew me away, providing pathways and opportunities for indigenous athletes to play at AFL or AFLW level," she said.

"We've got kids coming down from the Northern Territory to do schooling at our football club, the classrooms are upstairs and they're here every day, out kicking footballs at lunchtime."

Aaron Clark, the director of the KGI, was part of a group, including Sheahan, Gale, club president Peggy O'Neal and Richardson, that presented the club's AFLW submission to an AFL sub-committee.

Sheahan said the Tigers’ proposal covered club culture, building an AFLW list and program, developing women's football in their region, and financial modelling.

"I said to Brendon afterwards, 'I know this is important to this football club, but this is incredibly important to me. When I was 13 or 14 I thought I'd never get this opportunity and my dreams were shattered. But now, every girl gets the opportunity to do this.'

"Since I've been here I've realised how passionate and a bit crazy, in a good way, Richmond supporters are, and I just know they'll get behind it. It'll be phenomenal."

Although this is Sheahan's first formal role at an AFL club, her experience running an elite junior tennis coaching program means she is accustomed to developing programs for talented athletes.

"I'm bringing things from tennis into the football club. Because tennis is an individual sport, you spend a lot of time working on technical analysis and personal one-on-one development programs.

"That's what I think I'll bring into this football club from an AFLW point of view. Yes, it’s a team sport, but moving forward, all of these girls will require one-on-one coaching," she said.

"I was really lucky when I was younger, I travelled on and off for four years with Andre Agassi and Steffi Graff as their nanny, so I feel like I've been around elite environments for most of my life.

"Now I'm lucky I get to take what I've learnt from these people and put it in to practice myself."

With her father Mike an integral part of the football media landscape for more than four decades, Sheahan has been immersed in the AFL world since a young age.

"I can understand people saying, 'What's Kate's experience?' because I haven't been working in women's footy before. I don't claim to have been a pioneer of women's football - I haven't been - but I spent my life growing up in AFL football."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-27/eye-of-the-tigers-is-on-aflw-team

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »
Richmond Tigers fear smaller clubs may be favoured for AFLW expansion

Caroline Wilson
The Age
September 14 2017 - 6:00PM

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale has warned the AFL it would be denying the game "an enormous opportunity" by blocking the Tigers from entering the AFL Women's competition.

Gale said he feared that Richmond could be a victim of their large supporter base and denied a role in the forthcoming AFLW expansion with the AFL favouring smaller clubs bidding in a bid to help increase their audiences.

"I'm hearing the AFLW could be used as a means to help clubs increase their markets," said Gale. "That might be a case against us and if so that is incredibly unfair.

"I just think it would be an enormous opportunity lost to leave Richmond out of an expanded AFLW competition."

Richmond, along with seven other clubs, are expected to learn in grand final week whether they will be granted AFLW licences after a series of administrative and commission hold-ups.

The Tigers' case for expansion was not lost on Gillon McLachlan last Friday night as 95,000 football fans crammed the MCG to watch Richmond win their first final in 16 years after the club recorded the highest home-and-away attendances of the 18 clubs in 2017. But Gale said the Tigers had been receiving mixed messages from the AFL.

"Does our large supporter base help or hinder our club?" Gale asked.

"Whether some clubs are being favoured because they've struggled to previously garnish support was never a part of the evaluation."

The decision on the new AFLW licences has been delayed several times by head office, most recently at the end of last month when the AFL Commission instructed McLachlan's team to undertake more work on the future structure of the competition.

The prevailing view is that the AFL's preference was for four new clubs to join the eight-team competition but that there was also a push from some commissioners to further expand the AFLW and potentially include at least six new sides and break the league into two conferences.

With Geelong and West Coast strong favourites to come into the AFLW along with a hybrid North Melbourne-Tasmania side, Richmond fear they could be excluded at the expense of those clubs, with head office favouring St Kilda.

Non-provisional licence-holders Gold Coast, Essendon and Hawthorn have also put forward their cases to join the AFLW.

"We were confident we'd know by late August," said Gale. "I don't know if there's anything else they need from us. Every question we've been asked we have answered."

Gale shared the view of West Coast chief Trevor Nisbett that the AFL should embrace expansion and not restrict the growth of the women's league.

"They need to consider the enormous enthusiasm and commitment the clubs have shown," said Gale. "There is no doubt the clubs are committed. We are committed."

Gale added that the Tigers were a clear cultural fit to field a women's team and "the most important test to address is the test of culture".

The Richmond CEO pointed to the extensive work the club had undertaken in gender equity, the fact it was led by a woman president, fielded a stand-alone VFL team and stood out as a major advocate in the AFL in "creating an inclusive, nurturing and supportive environment for Indigenous talent".

"We want the AFLW to not just grow but to thrive and we think we can play an increasingly important role in that – a demonstrable role."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-tigers-fear-smaller-clubs-may-be-favoured-for-aflw-expansion-20170914-gyhqxs.html

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »
Stuffen AFL are a bunch of pricks! Jealous deadpooes

The only club of the original applicants to miss out.

I heard Gillian Mcloser say 12mths ago when asked if Richmond was next in line for AFLW license first hesitate and then say we are in the mix. He made his stuffen mind up a year ago the prick. Submission was a waste of time and effort

Hope he gets tipped out soon like his loser buddy

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
Just so long as the club doesn't force current members to be members of both leagues.

Let the women's side stand on its own without taking resources from the men's competition.