Author Topic: Chris Hyde - Tiger Tough (Shepparton News)  (Read 674 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chris Hyde - Tiger Tough (Shepparton News)
« on: March 02, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
TIGER TOUGH
By Tim Rowe
March 2 2006
Shepparton News

Barooga's Chris Hyde carried physical and mental scars after a sickening head clash with St Kilda's Matt Maguire virtually wrecked his season last year.

The Richmond half-forward, who suffered a hairline fracture of the skull as a result of the round five incident, battled ongoing headaches and severe fatigue during his recovery.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's Richmond-Western Bulldogs practice match at Shepparton's Deakin Reserve, Hyde now says he might have returned to the game prematurely.

"I think at the time I kept telling myself everything was all right," Hyde said yesterday.

"I really think it had an effect on me. It took a lot longer to recover than expected, looking back at it anyway.

"But that's hindsight, I guess."

Hyde, 23, eventually returned to the Tigers' senior line-up, playing 17 games for the season.

Keen to put last year behind him, and after a trouble-free preseason, Hyde was named in the Tigers' best in the opening round NAB Cup loss to Hawthorn.

Roaming the forward line, the 2000 National Draft selection kicked two goals and had doublefigure possessions.

"It was disappointing not to get the result we wanted," he said.

"I suppose some games have greater rewards than others, but I think every game you want to win.

"Even playing table tennis with a mate, you want to win."

Kyabram's Brett Deledio will also play, but another hometown hero and Tigers teammate Kayne Pettiffer will miss because of a hand injury.

Hyde, now in his sixth season with the Tigers, denied that it was a make-or-break year for him and expects to sit down with coach Terry Wallace to discuss his role before the season proper begins.

"It's just a week-by-week thing at the moment," the former Murray Bushranger said.

"Terry will decide which direction he wants me and the team to go."

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Chris Hyde - Tiger Tough (Shepparton News)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 10:12:39 PM »
If Hyde can get back to early 2005 form he'd definetley be a regular