Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 198765 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Sydney Stack [merged]
« on: November 24, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Hmm maybe we weren't keeping the free spot for the mid-season draft after all.... :shh

WA’s clouded draft crop could have a silver lining with Sydney Stack set to receive a lifeline from Richmond.

Stack was one of the most high-profile names overlooked in the national and rookie drafts yesterday, as the State recorded its lowest haul since 2002.

But The Weekend West understands Richmond is poised to invite the Perth midfielder to train at the club in the coming weeks. It is believed Stack — an All-Australian in the national carnival from just three games — would live with Tigers coach Damien Hardwick while he is in Melbourne and could be listed by March 15 under new rules if he impresses.

WA had just one player taken in the first round of the national draft, Jordan Clark (Geelong), on Thursday night, with highly-rated forward Ian Hill slipping to Greater Western Sydney at selection 24 yesterday.

Twelve players found their way onto lists during the two-day event — seven in the national draft and five as rookies.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-draft/afl-draft-2018-richmond-set-to-offer-sydney-stack-an-afl-lifeline-ng-b881030755z

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:48:22 PM by one-eyed »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
The guy is a jet. Must have behavioural issues not to get picked.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
gee he looks good from that highlight reel

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »
My uneducated guess is that at least 16 clubs passed because he was considered a real flight risk so by doing it this way we can assess whether or not he he can adapt to living interstate without costing a list spot if it looks like he can't....of course the fact that both WA clubs also overlooked him might mean there are some deeper issues involved but it also may just mean they had other needs.....Freo already have a couple like him while WC were forced to take Jarrod Cameron with a higher pick than they probably anticipated....(mind you, they both could've just rookied him too)... . :shh
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:35:45 PM by Diocletian »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »
He's not a flight risk. In fact, he has said he would love to get away from his home state and start his life afresh.

He was overlooked due to off-field/behavioural issues. The same thing happened when he was first overlooked for WA in the U18 Champs.

“It’s more like off-field and what your character is like and what you are willing to do to develop as a person and player,” Stack said.

“Footy is like kind of an escape for me. I grew up moving a lot and grew up around violence ... and never really had stability, so I just find footy as just a way out, to get out of trouble and things like that.

“I just really find my peace there, on the footy field. Just that physical side, I really take my anger out at footy sometimes and it just helps me, to release stress and stuff.”

“I just have a lot of family issues and stuff like that. I just really focused on myself and putting my best foot forward this year.

“A lot of credit to my manager Paul Peos. He helped me on the mental side of things and got my head screwed on and just focused day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out. Not thinking too far ahead.”

Stack lived with Peos at the start of the year but ended up spending the rest of the year staying with former Western Bulldogs player Brennan Stack, who has also helped him off the field. Brennan and Sydney’s great grandfathers were brothers.

He is close with his four sisters, but would love the chance to move interstate.

“Just a whole new start and just to get away from everything and live my life,” he said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-draft/afl-draft-2018-sydney-stack-finds-peace-in-footys-rough-and-tumble-ng-b881023654z

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »
Not saying he's not being truthful but we all know that what these kids say publicly and what they really feel aren't always the same thing and clubs can usually see right through it during the pre-draft screening interviews.....just like everyone could tell Ben King was absolutely shattered by being drafted to GC despite everything he said... GC knew it too but they also know it wouldn't matter who they picked atm...:shh

- Gustav Mahler

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
Not saying he's not being truthful but we all know that what these kids say publicly and what they really feel aren't always the same thing and clubs can usually see right through it during the pre-draft screening interviews.....just like everyone could tell Ben King was absolutely shattered by being drafted to GC despite everything he said... GC knew it too but they also know it wouldn't matter who they picked atm...:shh

A great story to give young Stack a chance and a chance in life :clapping King's old man told his boys should they end up interstate they must give a 4 year commitment to forge a career with a view of being a one club player.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
Easier said then done.....never seen a more forced smile than the one on Ben's face on Thursday night.....with  Lukosius & Rankine's not far behind.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
Dud. delist..... sounds like a young Chris Yarran
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
Happy to take the minimal risk.

Club, once again, knows what it is doing.

In Balmey we trust.

:bow

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »
Big upgrade on Stengle??

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
For those follow the draft can he play ?.3 best for WA in under 18.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

- Gustav Mahler

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
He can play, watch his highlights.
Got nothing to lose giving this kid a chance

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »
I have this posted on here elsewhere, but I reckon he has more potential than Hill.

Hasn't had a lot of opportunity in life, and getting him into a full time professional program will do wonders for him as a footy player.

Happy with this pick-up, but still think Tyron Smallwood is another who deserves a chance. Great kicking skills, great hands, hard as a cats head.