Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 116571 times)

Jackstar is back!!!

Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
Earmarked by Dimma for 2020 😉
Will miss 10 weeks
Might play one game to qualify for VFL finals on 17th Aug against Essendon
Following week is a bye
🤦‍♂️

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
Earmarked by Dimma for 2020 😉
Will miss 10 weeks
Might play one game to qualify for VFL finals on 17th Aug against Essendon
Following week is a bye
🤦‍♂️
There's a huge difference missing 10 weks with a knee or soft tissue injury and missing 10 with a finger. He will be doing a preseason and learning team structures and he'll be right with 3 rounds to go. The guy is a gifted footballer. Don't be surprised if he becomes a bit of a weapon during the finals......  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »
Sounds like this guy has something to prove to himself and a lot of other people. If he comes in with some fire in his belly and a good work ethic on and off the field as reported then he is going to help us win and be a handy player for us for a while. Has low k’s under the bonnet and sounds like he is tough as nails.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 01:29:06 PM »
as a mature recruit he ticks just about every concievable box you can think of.It really is a no brainer pick when you tick off the boxes.

Lots of people making comparisons to Kelly i think hes better in a lot of areas than Tim but he certainly isnt as proficient weather tis stops him playing midfield at afl level or not time will tell.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 07:48:56 PM »
The reward far outweighs the risk IMO.

Good luck to him as it sounds like he has worked extremely hard to get this opportunity.

I’ll back what our recruiters are doing going off what they have been able to do over the last 3 or 4 years.

Why any Tiger supporter wouldn’t back this guy after what Sydney Stack has been able to do is mind boggling.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
as a mature recruit he ticks just about every concievable box you can think of.It really is a no brainer pick when you tick off the boxes.

Lots of people making comparisons to Kelly i think hes better in a lot of areas than Tim but he certainly isnt as proficient weather tis stops him playing midfield at afl level or not time will tell.

Haven't seen a lot of him live, but have a mate who watches every South's game.

He reckons that the Kelly comparison is overplayed by the media, and that a better comparison is Gilbert McAdam.

He tells me he has never seen a player with more explosive pace than Pickett. Extremely quick off the mark.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »
I think it's worth a go, we can have a good look at him and see if he's cut out for the rigor of the Tigers.
Just because you have the ability doesn't mean you have the attitude
I hope he does

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 06:36:28 AM »
I think it's worth a go, we can have a good look at him and see if he's cut out for the rigor of the Tigers.
I hope he does

Post of the week right here 👍

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 06:57:41 AM »
I hope he does

Post of the week right here 👍
Our recruiting department now analyses things like that. of course the science isn’t exact but I’m backing them in if they think he’s got the right attitude. Why do you think differently?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »
Interesting that he got through  to our pick.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
Not really ...injury clearly put the other clubs off.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 11:14:58 PM »
Apparently will be living with Dusty. Great match-up there I reckon.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 02:57:20 AM »
‘Doing it for the kids’: Father-of-four Marlion Pickett finds his feet at Richmond

Adrian Barich
The West Australian
Wednesday, 30 May 2019

The South Fremantle star has been picked up by Richmond in the Mid-Season Draft.

From a jail cell to an AFL club – Perth’s Marlion Pickett is one of the great redemption tales.

Pickett touched down in Melbourne today to begin life as an AFL footballer with Richmond, who picked him up in the NAB Mid-Season Draft on Monday night.

The father-of-four was considered one of the country’s best non-AFL players before Monday, but off-field drama kept him out of the spotlight.

“I’m mainly doing it for my family. I’m not doing it for myself, doing it for my kids,” he told 7NEWS.

“(I’m) a bit nervous but looking forward to the challenge.”

Pickett spent more than two years behind bars as a teenager, but turned his life around.

Arriving in Melbourne today, Tigers stars Daniel Rioli and Sydney Stack rolled out the welcome mat, greeting the 27-year-old.

Pickett has been signed on a short-term $50,000 contract with the Tigers, but a finger injury picked up last weekend will rule him out of action until August.

“So when I’ve done my finger, I thought that was it,” he said.

“I wasn’t really watching the AFL app for me (on Monday night), I was watching for a couple of other boys but my name got called out. I wasn’t sure what to think.”

The new Tiger will live with Brownlow Medallist Dustin Martin as he finds his feet in Melbourne.

Marlion Pickett was greeted at Melbourne Airport by some of his new Tigers teammates.Picture: 7NEWS

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/doing-it-for-the-kids-father-of-four-marlion-pickett-finds-his-feet-at-richmond-ng-b881215205z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »

Tigers’ recruit Pickett to live with Dusty

Michael Ramsay
West Australian
30 May 2019

Dustin Martin is the definition of a rough diamond, so it’s only fitting that the AFL superstar is taking Richmond’s mature-aged draftee Marlion Pickett under his wing.

The Brownlow Medallist has opened his home to Pickett, who the Tigers snapped up in this week’s mid-season draft.

Highly rated at WAFL side South Fremantle for a number of years, a history of off-field issues - including time spent in jail - had contributed to the 27-year-old Pickett being overlooked for higher honours despite plenty of interest.

But the Tigers believe his issues are in the past, and still chose to select the father of four after he had surgery to repair a broken finger.

Pickett will spend about a week living with Martin, who himself had off-field troubles before changing his ways in recent years.

For Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, it’s all part of the club’s rich tapestry.

The Tigers have reaped the rewards of recruiting Sydney Stack, another talented indigenous WAFL player who was overlooked by other clubs because of perceived character issues.

Even the Tigers’ AFLW list has its share of surprises.

The Herald Sun last week revealed foundation signing Tayla Stahl had received a suspended prison sentence for serving as the getaway driver in a bank robbery on a military air base.

“The thing I love about our club is we sort of embrace those challenges,“ Hardwick said.

“It adds to the person’s story and adds to our club’s story along the way. The one thing I will say about footy clubs is they are fantastic at wrapping their arms around and giving people a chance.

“That’s the great thing about sport in general - it allows people to grow and thrive and get better as a result.”

Pickett’s finger injury will sideline him for up to 10 weeks.

But judging by Hardwick’s excitement at his highlights reel, he won’t have to wait too long before he gets his opportunity.

“Have you seen his tape? I would have picked him this week, I reckon, if he didn’t break his finger,” a grinning Hardwick said.

“I think he’s capable, there’s no doubt. Learning the system will take some time, absolutely, but the reality is good players are good players.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-recruit-marlion-pickett-to-live-with-richmond-superstar-dustin-martin-ng-b881215970z

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »

Haven't seen a lot of him live, but have a mate who watches every South's game.

He reckons that the Kelly comparison is overplayed by the media, and that a better comparison is Gilbert McAdam.

He tells me he has never seen a player with more explosive pace than Pickett. Extremely quick off the mark.
Mini-me says he’s from a WAFL club some of her mates play at and they say he’s the best player they’ve ever seen