Author Topic: GF pits 3 decades of Richmond pain + 1 flag vs 8 years of GWS existence (H-Sun)  (Read 474 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who is the real Grand Final underdog?

Grand Final pits three decades of Richmond pain and one flag versus eight years of GWS existence

Al Paton
Herald Sun
25 September 2019

After a lifetime of watching my footy team fail, I’m struggling to get used to the idea of being a dominant force.

On Saturday the Tigers will start as overwhelming favourite in the Grand Final against the upstarts from GWS.

The Giants have overcome plenty of adversity to make it, winning two nailbiting finals after starting as underdogs. Injuries, the tribunal, an entire state, are all against the plucky underdog.

Don’t believe the propaganda.

It feels a lifetime ago but questions were being asked about how Richmond would survive losing their champion defender Alex Rance to a season-ending injury in the first round.

At the bye the Tigers were 7-6 and in ninth position. This was Matthew Lloyd on June 17: “I’m really concerned for Richmond, I think they could possibly miss the eight ... I don’t think they’ll play a factor at all this year.”

Rance has played one of 24 games this season, ruckman Toby Nankervis has played 11, Jack Riewoldt 12, Trent Cotchin and Jayden Short 13. Sydney Stack and Jack Ross, two of their exciting replacements, both came in then got injured themselves.

But forget all that. Every team has injuries.

I’ve got a lifetime of exhibits to make the case of who is the real underdog on Saturday.

Like Karmichael Hunt’s kick after the siren in Cairns. Or David Mundy’s. Or the other time Mundy kicked a goal with seconds left to steal a win from the Tigers.

The time I got on a plane to Adelaide and Trent Cotchin decided to kick into the wind. Or when I got on a bus convoy to Brisbane and we got flogged in a prelim (under Spud, RIP), and one of the buses got lost on the way up and another one broke down on the way home.

Geelong leading 20 goals to two at halftime. Nathan Brown’s broken leg. Mark Coughlan’s broken body.

Ninth. Ninth. Ninth.

I can go back further. Sitting on the cold benches at Waverley as Jason Dunstall kicked 17 goals against Richmond. Watching Gary Ablett Sr kick 14 goals against us. Then 12. Then 12 again. Sitting in the rain in the old Southern Stand at the MCG in the final round as we lost to the Brisbane Bears. Dad taking me to Victoria Park and Windy Hill (where we got flogged, of course).

Rattling tins to stop my footy team going bankrupt.

That was 30 years ago. GWS was founded 10 years ago and has received more than $150 million from the AFL.

In their first two seasons they were handed 12 first-round draft picks. They fluffed some of those, but snared Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio and Nick Haynes — all key players as the Giants gun for a premiership in just their eighth season.

If you’re not a big fan of the Tigers, think of the St Kilda supporters who have been waiting 53 years for their second flag. Or the Demons, who haven’t won one in 55 years.

Even Carlton has had a 24-year premiership drought. And I won’t be ready for a Blues fairytale for a few years yet.

Is “GWSy” a word? Didn’t think so.

Go Tiges.

Al Paton is the SuperFooty editor. He started barracking for Richmond in 1983.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/grand-final-pits-three-decades-of-richmond-pain-and-one-flag-versus-eight-years-of-gws-existence/news-story/bad48d8f52a010926787e5fa0b15d5c0