Author Topic: Grimes vs Rance  (Read 3244 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Grimes vs Rance
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »
Tony Shaw just now on 3aw said he rates Grimes ahead of Rance as Grimes can not only play on key forwards and intercept mark like Rance did but he can also play on smaller defenders which Rance didn't/wouldn't be able to do.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Grimes vs Rance
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
I thought Rance was great on smalls too personally.

Grimes has to keep this up for another 1-2 years before I see him as the backbone that Rance was, but gee he's doing a great job.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
Rance could most definitely play on smalls.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »
Rance ... Rance being supreme in his position allowed Grimes and co to just develop their games. People forget how many times Rance saved the day by running of his opponent to help grimesy and the others. I hope Rance comes back next year and plays for us. One last roll of the dice and a 2nd premiership medallion for Rancey would do his career justice.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
Stupid comparison. Shaw is an idiot with a short memory

Rance has 5 all Australians and has a best and fairest award.

Grimes is a gun player and our premier defender but needs to command the top defender in the league title before he can be properly compared to Rance.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »
He is, man to man, the top defender in the league and has been for a number of years. Just doesn't get the plaudits.

Stupid comparison though. Different players and they are both exceptional. We were lucky to have the Rance man and I hope to see him back one day...:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:06:10 PM »
Shaw is a peanut.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »
Do the media take roofies each year and get their memories wiped? Rance was so dominant that they put a tagger on him against Port. A tagger in a KPD is something I have never seen before happen in a game of AFL.

Some words from Cotchin and after half time he dominated! Also do people not remember that round 23 game against Sydney where he took on the entire forward line?

Grimes is very good, elite even don’t get me wrong. But Rance at his peak was godly.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 09:56:00 PM »
Do the media take roofies each year and get their memories wiped? Rance was so dominant that they put a tagger on him against Port. A tagger in a KPD is something I have never seen before happen in a game of AFL.

Some words from Cotchin and after half time he dominated! Also do people not remember that round 23 game against Sydney where he took on the entire forward line?

Grimes is very good, elite even don’t get me wrong. But Rance at his peak was godly.

Wasn’t the only time. Adelaide tried it too in the grand final when Rance shut down their entire forward line in the first half. Was bog first half, second half we dominated so much he wasn’t really involved.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »

That Sydney game was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen.

Tigers winning 9 in a row to make finals and Rance with the full body cramps. Sydney were contenders too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »
The AFL website has Rance as our best defender of the 21st century:

RICHMOND - ALEX RANCE (200 games from 2008-2019)

Not only is Alex Rance easily Richmond's best defender of the past 20 years, but he is comfortably in the mix for the best full-back of the modern era. He is a five-time All-Australian, including one as captain, a best a fairest winner and played an integral part in the Tigers' 2017 premiership triumph. An ACL injury in round one of 2019 robbed him of a second flag. Looked on track to return to his best, but shocked the football world by retiring in December that year. - Ben Sutton

https://www.afl.com.au/news/391266/who-is-your-club-s-best-defender-of-the-21st-century-

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 09:19:03 PM »

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
At the risk of copping plenty i reckon Grimes has played more like a third tall who has shown he can play kp when needed and also play exceedingly well on smalls and mediums.
Even now Grimes is not really asked to play on power fwds very often, and thank god for that. punching so far out of his height size division every week would soon cut him down.  The kp  role has mainly  gone to the likes of Astbury Rance and now Balta.
Always good to know if Balta or Astbury went down in a game Grimes could slip into the role.

Its not often acknowledged by tiger supporters but every yr from 2017  to 2020 we have played four players at 190 plus centimetres at every single opportunity barring injury or development in the back half made up of 5 players.

The 5 players  Rance 194/94, Astbury 195/95, Balta 194/100, Grimes 193/89, Broad 192/89.
That really is a lot of stability just 5 players and when Rance retired Balta has come in and performed very well very quickly maintaining the desired structure down back.
Personally i dont look upon Grimes and Broad as talls both more than capable of regularly playing on smaller players and more often than not doing so.

I suppose the real difference for me between the two is i look at Rance as a genuine KPD and Grimes more of a tall general defender.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 10:06:07 PM »
If I was picking a team I would take Grimes ahead of Rance.  Rance was brilliant but had a weakness against big gorilla forwards.  I can't remember ever seeing Grimes get beaten.  Plenty of forwards with big reputations have been made to look silly by Grimes in the last 4 years - Charlie Cameron, Jeremy Cameron in the GF, Rohan in this years GF, Eddie Betts in 2017 GF.