Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 57177 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2024, 10:09:47 AM »
Sampson doesn’t have the size or heart to play in the ruck or at AFL level. When he’s not getting pushed off the ball, he’s simply losing his feet and falling over. I actually feel for the kid as it feels to me like the selectors have misplaced faith in his abilities which he knows he doesn’t possess.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2024, 10:24:38 AM »
Not up to it unfortunately and seems to be going backwards.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2024, 12:31:56 PM »
That dropped chest mark was a shocker
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2024, 12:34:19 PM »
Gets a block of games for me like all the youngsters who come in. Yeah made a few mistakes,  but who didn't. Take into consideration his game to 50% on the ground.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2024, 12:48:53 PM »
He is a while off but we have the luxury of being able to play him in a block of games that will help him. Samson has to be developed otherwise we literally have zero options up forward for the future. I am loving the Lefau story, but at his absolute best and ceiling he'd be a depth forward in a top 4 side. We need 3 young KP forwards to start the rebuild, ideally 4 so we have a 50% success rate. of getting 2 decent ones, if we only unearth one we can go free agency.
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2024, 01:47:20 PM »
Look most of the criticism of him is warranted and I'm not saying he'll definitely make it but some of its just the usual goldfish memory revisionist hyperbole that you get on footy forums - the assertion that he's never shown anything at AFL level shows some either didn't watch or have conveniently forgotten last year when he was playing while Nank & Soldo were both out and it was the best actual ruck work we'd seen from a Tigers big man since Ottens or that one good year Jake the Snake had in '08....hell everyone's -rightly- raving about Lefau's 12 goals in 9 games ...well Samson had 12 goals after 11 games last year....and I don't even rate him as forward.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2024, 09:13:00 PM »
Mentioning our modern great ruckman can’t believe you don’t mention the big knob, Trent Knobel

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2024, 09:40:44 PM »
I thought he improved markedly in 2023

But so far in 2024, even at VFL level I'm yet to see improvement. I don't think he's gone backwards just reckon he's stagnated a bit

Yesterday was a great example 2 almost marks, one that literally bounced off his hands (could have been a chest mark) and a pack mark on the goal square, in 2023 he would taken both. Watching the replay today he never looked like taking either. The other thing I was wanting to see was improvement in his 2nd efforts, unfortunately they still seem a long way off

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #323 on: May 27, 2024, 01:00:28 AM »
Showed no improvement in the VFL? Come on

Give him a block of games like some of the other duds received then run a line through him if it warrants.

He played a shocker last night
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2024, 06:58:39 AM »

Give him a block of games like some of the other duds received then run a line through him if it warrants.

Agree he needs a block of games.
Maybe a combination of stage fright ( massive game at the MCG) immaturity and pressure.
A block of games to give him confidence.
You may also note that he did some nice things ( not statistics wise) which teammates including Dusty went up and high fived him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #325 on: May 27, 2024, 07:17:03 AM »

IMHO

At VFL level as a ruckman he's shown his tap work has improved slightly (it's always been good) but his round the ground work IMV hasn't. Same with his forward work he should be clunking big pack big marks and still doesn't as often as he should. In one on one contests against smaller opponents he gets out bodied too easily.

I watched him closely a few weeks ago at Coburg, his body work or lack there of stood out like a beacon.

He's a big lad, needs to get get aggressive

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #326 on: May 27, 2024, 07:35:26 AM »
We can give him a block of games - particularly this year but it is unlikely to disprove the current narrative on his career at AFL level.
The main disappointment has been his lack of progression physically, was getting pushed off the contest far too easily. Wafted in and out of contests like a feather.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #327 on: May 27, 2024, 07:55:38 AM »
We can give him a block of games - particularly this year but it is unlikely to disprove the current narrative on his career at AFL level.
The main disappointment has been his lack of progression physically, was getting pushed off the contest far too easily. Wafted in and out of contests like a feather.

okay good we agree then he has work to do. How it will be is how it will be, so lets revisit after the block.

by the way how has nank gone this year? Dominating has he been?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #328 on: May 27, 2024, 08:03:17 AM »
Maybe we need to give him an injection of Jack Dyer enzyme/chromosome mix?
Plus some gym work and send him on a commando/mma course

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #329 on: May 27, 2024, 04:54:51 PM »
He needs a block of games .
Unleash the tornado