Author Topic: Is it time to put a line through the Tigers? (ESPN)  (Read 890 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Is it time to put a line through the Tigers? (ESPN)
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:00:20 AM »
AFL Round Table: Is it time to put a line through the Tigers?

ESPN
30 June 2021

Q: Are you prepared to put a line through the Tigers for 2021?

Rohan Connolly: No. I accept that their task is going to be mighty difficult from here, particularly given the latest crop of injuries. But the bottom line for me is this ... they're still in the eight, their draw has only two of eight games against top eight teams, and they'll have the likes of Balta and Broad back for finals, Lynch and Nankervis well before that. Last year they played four finals to win the flag. This time, they'll have to WIN four, but I still think their best is better than anyone else's and that they can produce it at the right time.

Jake Michaels: You know what, for the first time in about four seasons I think I'm saying it: 'the Tigers won't win the flag this year'. It's not a wild overreaction to the horror performance against the Saints, either. As Rohan mentioned above, they will now have to win four finals in succession (because they definitely aren't making the top four) and I can't see that happening. The odds are certainly not in their favour. But is the dynasty over? Absolutely not. They will rightly be one of the favourites again in 2022, and few would be surprised if they went all the way again.

Matt Walsh: Yes, I think there's a lot working against Richmond, and there are some hungry teams out there. As Christian Joly from Champion Data mentioned on the podcast this week, they've slipped in a number of key stats compared to their flag seasons, and as a result their defensive structure isn't at all holing up well (and Balta's injury won't help) and with little support from up the ground. They won't win it this year.

Jarryd Barca: If they win the flag from here, I'll tip my hat to them and personally give them the honour of best dynasty in the 21st century. A mounting injury list, obvious lack of youthful depth, stars out of form and top four out of reach... it's not happening. The line is thick.

https://www.espn.in/afl/story/_/id/31722529/afl-round-16-round-table-put-line-richmond-tigers-which-broken-rule-needs-fixing-most

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Is it time to put a line through the Tigers? (ESPN)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
I want it this year more than ever just to shove it in their faces.

I said the same last year too.

Would I finally be satisfied if we won it again this year? I'd say so, but probably not.

I honestly don't believe the hunger could ever fade for the players. Every sport I ever played I was desperate to win and I don't see why they wouldn't be at that level. It's in their nature.