Author Topic: Richmond vs GWS @ Marvel Stadium --- Round 22, 2021  (Read 27064 times)

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond vs GWS @ Marvel Stadium --- Round 22, 2021
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2021, 09:14:35 AM »
WP if we are feeling the pinch , with over 100,000 members surely every other club is too? Or is it our unique situation?

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2021, 09:31:23 AM »
Ive got no doubt in my mind that the whole Dimma affair issue played a significant part in Leppa leaving.

That along with it being a hard year away from home and being away from family.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »
WP if we are feeling the pinch , with over 100,000 members surely every other club is too? Or is it our unique situation?

Every club would be feeling the pinch

Not one club is paying over the soft cap amount. Not one.

Every club has had to let people go from another areas ...every club.

Other strong clubs have spoken about the impact the soft cap reductions have had on their footy departments. Less coaches doing more work with many saying it's in the recruiting & development space where it being felt the most.

Every Club made cuts but in different areas. Maybe ours cuts were in the wrong place, I don't know. Clearly some people on here think it was around our assistant coaches. But as I said Contracts are funny things, when someone has one you are sort of backed into a corner a fair bit

So no, I don't think it unique to our Club

TBH I am expecting that more clubs will make losses this year than they did last year.

Ive got no doubt in my mind that the whole Dimma affair issue played a significant part in Leppa leaving.

TFL you're entitled to your view, totally respect it

But I am in no doubt that it had absolutely nothing to do with Leppa leaving
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2021, 01:33:31 PM »
From Fox Footy:

“The moment has finally arrived,” Riewoldt told Fox Footy post-game. “We’ve been waiting, we’ve been wondering … that is as spiritless a performance as we’ve seen for Richmond, considering the stakes. In the first half, they were nowhere near it.

“History is undefeated – and tonight it showed.”

Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown said it appeared the Tigers “have lost hope”, while Melbourne champion Garry Lyon said the “stark reality” was the Tigers had lost seven of their past nine games.

“It would appear that the reign is over after as good a four-year block as you’re ever going to have in footy – and that’s not being disrespectful,” Lyon told Fox Footy.

Former Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon pointed out the Tigers conceded 27 points from centre bounces against the Giants and couldn’t score themselves from that source.

“They’ve gone from predator to prey and they are getting hunted,” Dixon told Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“They were scary two years ago and everyone that came up against the Tigers knew if you didn’t use the ball well, turnover scores and they were going to get punished. That’s just gone off a cliff. Their turnover scores, their pressure and ability to stop an opposition is gone.

“Not only have they lost their defensive action and hunger, they’ve lost it in the middle of the ground in structure. They’re actually falling apart a bit here. The wheels are off for finals, but you don’t want the cart to fall apart too and start getting your bum on the gravel.”

“They’ve had a great system for a long time, but everyone’s caught up. Now the competition’s so even … the system itself is not standing up.

Source: Foxsports

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
the Hawks spend more $$$ on McRae obviously a better offer than ours and the Hawks need to pay for a Clarkson that won’t be there next year.

They like Sydney & Geelong don’t seem to have the same soft cap issue that WP seems to go on about.

If we are to pay over the cap we pay the tax, so what? 105,000 members who have stuck fat which is significantly more than the next best Victorian club but WP thinks we don’t have enough money?  :rollin
Every club lost money except for us last year and all of a sudden we are worse off than these other clubs? Why? What are these clubs doing that is so special they can get quality assistants and even hawthorn can afford to pay out 1 million for Clarkson.

You are aware that since June there have been no crowds in Mleb and before that capped crowds. You do understand that no crowds mean no dollars from gate receipts.

So that is a major revenue hit.

Our other non pokies revenue comes from Aligned Leisure. You know gyms? Those things that when we are in lockdown aren't allowed to open?

And yes we made a profit last year, helped by over $6 million (I'll double check this to confirm) received via job keeper. That won't be there.

So despite having 105k+ members we will not be generating the same revenues as last year so yes there is a gap.

Didn't think it would be that hard to workout  ::)

I'll leave it there. There's more i could say but I wont
Gate receipts - which club is benefiting from gate receipts this season?
Why wouldn’t hawthorn or Geelong or Sydney be as concerned with soft cap especially the Hawks considering the large payout they have to give to Clarkson? Sydney added to their football department. Geelong have kept all their assistants from last season. Hawks poached McRae.

How about answering the questions I asked you instead of ignoring them and answering question I didn’t ask?
If we pay over the cap, so what! We pay the tax, so what! 

We still have more members than any other club paying their membership fees so the club might take a hit but all clubs are taking hits. Some just choose to not let it effect their footy department.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »

Why wouldn’t hawthorn or Geelong or Sydney be as concerned with soft cap especially the Hawks considering the large payout they have to give to Clarkson? Sydney added to their football department. Geelong have kept all their assistants from last season. Hawks poached McRae.

How about answering the questions I asked you instead of ignoring them and answering question I didn’t ask?

We still have more members than any other club paying their membership fees so the club might take a hit but all clubs are taking hits. Some just choose to not let it effect their footy department.

First up to confirm in 2020 we received over $10 million from jobkeeper. In  2021 we don't have that or gate receipts. It is money we don't have coming in this year. Do you understand that?

You are right Hawthorn will be paying Clarkson next year if he doesn't get another job. So Hawthorn are going to have to manage their cap next year. Can't see them paying over the limit or the tax.

You do realise that the clubs you seem to be obsessed with to make your argument were not paying the full cap last year like we were? So if the cap was 9 Mil in 2020 and you were only paying 8.0 mil or less then cutting back to 6mil is a bit easier than slashing 3 million?

Further to that Sydney added Pyke but got rid of people out of their academy and cut costs in that area. Geelong kept their assistants but they carried less than what we did. Even Scott has lamented how the cuts have impacted on their entire footy department

So you tell me if you have to cut 3 million out of your footy department spend how do you keep everyone in every area? Oh that's right you just keep spending 9 million, pay a tax even if you don't have the money to do it. It doesn't matter right? So what right?

It won't matter until of course the Club reports losses and then people will jump up and down and say how the hell did that happen?

You seem to think that because we have 100k+ members it somehow equals an endless money pit. It doesn't

Yes they can pay over the cap, yes they can pay tax but it cannot be at the risk of being financially irresponsible in the current climate. Our Club has worked far too hard to build its financial strength. The CEO has said many times this year and next year are going to be tough financially for us with the restrictions in place. Clearly the Club intends to not spend what it doesn't have.

But hey, let's spend more than we earn, it doesn't matter right? So what?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2021, 06:04:11 PM »

First up to confirm in 2020 we received over $10 million from jobkeeper. In  2021 we don't have that or gate receipts. It is money we don't have coming in this year. Do you understand that?

You are right Hawthorn will be paying Clarkson next year if he doesn't get another job. So Hawthorn are going to have to manage their cap next year. Can't see them paying over the limit or the tax.

You do realise that the clubs you seem to be obsessed with to make your argument were not paying the full cap last year like we were? So if the cap was 9 Mil in 2020 and you were only paying 8.0 mil or less then cutting back to 6mil is a bit easier than slashing 3 million?

Further to that Sydney added Pyke but got rid of people out of their academy and cut costs in that area. Geelong kept their assistants but they carried less than what we did. Even Scott has lamented how the cuts have impacted on their entire footy department

So you tell me if you have to cut 3 million out of your footy department spend how do you keep everyone in every area? Oh that's right you just keep spending 9 million, pay a tax even if you don't have the money to do it. It doesn't matter right? So what right?

It won't matter until of course the Club reports losses and then people will jump up and down and say how the hell did that happen?

You seem to think that because we have 100k+ members it somehow equals an endless money pit. It doesn't

Yes they can pay over the cap, yes they can pay tax but it cannot be at the risk of being financially irresponsible in the current climate. Our Club has worked far too hard to build its financial strength. The CEO has said many times this year and next year are going to be tough financially for us with the restrictions in place. Clearly the Club intends to not spend what it doesn't have.

But hey, let's spend more than we earn, it doesn't matter right? So what?

I understand your point mate , but you need quality assistant's we have let go 4 in space of 2 years and replaced one in Kingsley 2 went prior covid to correct Rutten and Blake .Like I said proof is in the pudding when we attracted quality assistant's back in 2016.You can see we're undermanned in the coaches box some coaches taking on 2 roles sorry for club of our status ,success and membership not acceptable add to that Emma Murray has been cut back to.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2021, 07:12:35 AM »
AFL Report Card: Round 22

Foxsports
16 August 2021

RICHMOND

Some teams come down gradually from their peak - the Tigers have fallen through the floor over the last two months. They were mercilessly thumped by a team that looks set to potentially do some damage come finals time rather than limp in as the Tigers would’ve done. There were junktime goals that brought the margin back to a somewhat respectable loss but it was anything but.

In the votes

Jayden Short and Trent Cotchin were both prolific and Daniel Rioli at halfback has been a great move by Damien Hardwick. Shai Bolton kicked a couple of goals and looked better than he has in recent weeks, while Liam Baker couldn’t have done much more.

Room for improvement

Some moments of ill-discipline gave the Giants a 12-point swing early in the match, with Tom Lynch’s free kick against denying Jack Riewoldt a goal while Dylan Grimes’ elbow to the back of Harry Himmelberg was just plain stupid. Jack Riewoldt was barely sighted up forward while in defence it was a scoring frenzy against the Tigers. Intercept marks were few and far between and it was just a sluggish and disappointing display from a side with everything to play for.

Grade

F

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-report-card-round-22-analysis-every-club-graded-best-and-worst-players-votes-reactions/news-story/ec27ccf44b678adc0f19d4f0f1353c1c

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2021, 07:22:35 AM »
Our wingers aren’t running into the centre square with their man, and almost acting as the sweeper to protect the fast break. It’s cost us the last 2 goals.
They pointed this out on The First Crack last night.

Our wings were standing 15m away defensive side from their GWS opponents and then would run towards our backline while the GWS wingmen were left free. We tried it three times and it cost us a goal all three times  :P.

St Kilda also tried it against Geelong and it cost them a goal. Clearly a dud idea!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2021, 05:15:14 AM »
Coaches votes (Hardwick & Cameron)

GWS vs Richmond:

10 Tim Taranto (GWS)
7   Josh Kelly (GWS)
7   Isaac Cumming (GWS)
2   Callan Ward (GWS)
2   Jacob Hopper (GWS)
1   Harry Himmelberg (GWS)
1   Nick Vlastuin (RICH)

https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2021/20210122