Author Topic: Hardwick "sometimes behaves as though he's bigger than the club": Caro (FC)  (Read 2462 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"This is a coach who sometimes behaves as though he's bigger than the club."

Caroline Wilson and the Footy Classified team react to the recent war of words Damien Hardwick has found himself in recently.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1424710747611877380

-------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has been criticised for his swipe at Lions great Jonathan Brown, with veteran reporter Caroline Wilson suggesting the triple premiership-winner "sometimes behaves as though he's bigger than the club".

With the reigning premiers currently sitting in 10th position, Hardwick has been increasingly irritable this season, notably taking aim at the AFL for fixturing a Tigers match at Marvel Stadium earlier in the season.

After his side scripted a second-half comeback win against the AFL's bottom-placed side, the Kangaroos, on the weekend, Hardwick took aim at Brown, who had criticised Tigers star Tom Lynch for his lack of involvement at half-time.

The comments  did not sit well with Wilson, whose assessment of Hardwick's "personal issues" resulted in the Tigers coach imposing a ban on her radio station, 3AW, earlier this year.

"This is a coach who sometimes behaves as though he's bigger than the club, and his ban on 3AW is one example of that," she told Nine's Footy Classified.

"Why would you ban the top-rating football station in the country because of one journalist whose comments he didn't like? You don't have to go on [3AW] with me.

"With some of those comments, the club at the time saw him in the zone, in the mood, and probably weren't quite as tough on him as they maybe should have been. I just hope at some point now they are because there is just a pattern emerging.

"I don't like journos asking coaches, 'Matthew Lloyd said this, what do you think about it?', because if they think it, they should just put it on their own opinion, not Jonathan Brown, but why would you make a comment about Jonathan Brown going out and coaching? That was a perfectly valid point about Tom Lynch."

Wilson's view was supported by Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes, who defended Brown's criticism of Lynch's performance against North Melbourne.

"It's hard, because [when] you're winning you get away with a bit more," he said.

"Throw in the comment about Marvel Stadium in there, how foolish does that look now with the situation that we're in?

"Tom Lynch had two kicks on the weekend against the 18th team, Jonathan Brown would produce more than that.

"There's a line where the criticism is fair and what Jonathan Brown said wasn't over the top."

While Hardwick's old Essendon teammate Matthew Lloyd admitted the Tigers coach can get personal at times, he argued that it was the very trait that made him special.

"It's an interesting one because David Teague gets hammered for not giving enough, and then Damien Hardwick, he gets emotional, he probably gets protective of his players," he said.

"I know he does [get personal] occasionally. I defend Damien Hardwick because it's what makes him a great coach and a players' coach, because of the passion he exudes."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/caroline-wilson-unloads-on-damien-hardwick-snappy-behaviour-media-conferences/15c5df54-a031-4f51-b990-56af8962f8b7

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
stuff off Caro u old campaigner

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lloyd most times I have to say gets it right more than wrong.

He is known to come up with stupid crap, like last week suggesting dimma has been there too long, but gee wiz compared to some of the other flogs he is one of the best out there.

People wonder why many don’t bother with these shows, or television in general. This show is one example. I did watch a part of 360 the other night, and the chief is fantastic. If only they could replace him with jabba it may become watchable again.

That question was a loaded question, and a stupid one. Ask your own question Sam not someone else’s and if you quote it, get it right. Glad it makes him look like a fool.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think Dimma got that one wrong.
He normally has one or two presser brain fades a year - last year was the Longmire stab.
It’s obvious to me he’s struggling with the team’s performance and it must be tough - we long nothing like the side of the past 4 years.
Having said that, media should cut him some slack - for some reason the media can slag off a player, a coach an official but they can’t have a crack back?
Give me a spell princess
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
I would agree with you IF the question was put to him factually correct.

Cant argue with the longmire one especially now, but not on this occasion IMO.

caro is bitter about 3aw, thats all this is.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
“Caro sometimes behaves as though she’s bigger than the stupid tv show she is on …. “.     ::)
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Times like this you need Mrs Hardwick to whack him over the head

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....

caro is bitter about 3aw, thats all this is.

She's bitter because she's not the favourite daughter being given inside info from the club anymore and hasn't been since Wallace left... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
I like that he shows support for players. Muppets in the media think they can have a free swing at players and it’s refreshing to know Dimma back players in publicly. They are no different to the anonymous social media bandits.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Listening to Caro is like reading the Bigfruity main board.  A complete waste of time

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
At the end of the day Caro is only an observer and speculator, she is not the news.
Her opinion is just that and has no factual basis IMO.

A journalist should report facts.

At least The RFC are doing something, as is every footy club, player and sportsperson……

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Caro was critical of the club when Hardwick transgressed and had an opinion about integrity etc.

Hardwick obviously has taken offence.

What did Caro say that was so wrong? People are very good at smashing her but she gets things right the majority of the time.
Her opinion about the Hardwick affair was balanced and it asked the right questions and her opinion of it was a very good one and we’ve got to remember it’s her job as a journalist as it was for Mike Sheahan and as it also is for the very basic Robbo.

Hardwick can be bitter about it but the facts are he was caught out to be cheating on his wife and was in the wrong in this occasion. These things happen in life and it’s newsworthy because they are public people in the entertainment business. Can anyone remember the whole Carey saga?
What was the media supposed to do, ignore it?

Love her or hate her she seems to get it right most times especially the more controversial issues.
All those calling for her to be sacked only weeks ago are in denial, she was 100% correct about the Hawthorn issue and no matter how many interviews the coaches had with the media to “set the record straight” changed that fact.

BTW Lynch had a terrible game and was non effective if anyone would know how to play forward it would be Jonathan Brown. He also is paid to make comment and have opinions as he sees it.
Blind Freddy could see Lynch was having a poor day at the office. In fact he’s been very poor all year.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
Ahhhhh I think you’ll find the Wayne Carey incident was such massive news as the person he was caught cheating with just so happened to be his teammates wife……

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Caro was critical of the club when Hardwick transgressed and had an opinion about integrity etc.

Hardwick obviously has taken offence.

What did Caro say that was so wrong? People are very good at smashing her but she gets things right the majority of the time.
Her opinion about the Hardwick affair was balanced and it asked the right questions and her opinion of it was a very good one and we’ve got to remember it’s her job as a journalist as it was for Mike Sheahan and as it also is for the very basic Robbo.

Hardwick can be bitter about it but the facts are he was caught out to be cheating on his wife and was in the wrong in this occasion. These things happen in life and it’s newsworthy because they are public people in the entertainment business. Can anyone remember the whole Carey saga?
What was the media supposed to do, ignore it?

Love her or hate her she seems to get it right most times especially the more controversial issues.
All those calling for her to be sacked only weeks ago are in denial, she was 100% correct about the Hawthorn issue and no matter how many interviews the coaches had with the media to “set the record straight” changed that fact.

BTW Lynch had a terrible game and was non effective if anyone would know how to play forward it would be Jonathan Brown. He also is paid to make comment and have opinions as he sees it.
Blind Freddy could see Lynch was having a poor day at the office. In fact he’s been very poor all year.

Caro takes offense easily and then attempts to bury the person for eternity.  The worst sort of human.  Not for one minute has Hardwick ever acted like he was bigger than the club and for her to suggest as much is dirty pool. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From Wednesday's Footy Classified:

Caro: "It's wonderful when you stick up for your players. Coaches who do it well do it brilliantly. Damien Hardwick has done it fantastically. You don't [though] have to belittle the critic if they're someone like Jonathan Brown or David Schwarz. You don't have to criticise opposition coaches or groundsman or the people Damien Hardwick has taken aim at over the years. There's just a touch of hubris creeping into the Richmond coach and it's been there a for a couple of years now and it concerns me."

Eddie: "So it's ok for people to have a crack at his personal life. People in the media come out and sack every coach ... the media come out and sack people every day. I don't mind a bit of return fire. Everybody is over 18. Browny said Collingwood trained badly a few years ago and it was a captain's run."

Caro: "It's not the Jonathan Brown thing for me. It's the pattern of behaviour."

Ross Lyon: "I often say the team is what you are. Damien is aggressive, stand your ground, get after them ... and that's what his team is at their best."

Caro: "So all that talk of humility and vulnerability that took them to the top doesn't seem to be there anymore."

Eddie: 'They need a bit of grit at the moment and you'd back Tom Lynch to kick the first goal and have a good one this week. If he puts in for his coach then it's going to be a great result."

Go to 41 min mark: https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2021/episode-41