Author Topic: Sam Banks [merged]  (Read 15801 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Pick 29: Samuel Banks
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 08:11:13 PM »
lol dunno bout his tumbling wormburner Georgie.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 29: Sam Banks
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »
Banks becomes another Tassie Tiger

Richmond has used its fourth selection (No. 29 overall) in the 2021 national draft to recruit Clarence defender Sam Banks.

Recruited from: Tasmania Devils/Clarence
Position: Rebounding defender
Height: 186cm
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 2/4/03

What the Richmond recruiters say about Banks...

Sam is a skillful running type from Clarence, Tasmania, Jack Riewoldt’s junior club.

Highly regarded rebounding defender, Banks has played two years of senior Tasmanian State League football. He had a dominant Under 16 Championships in 2019, winning the Alan McLean Medal for the Best and Fairest in Division 2.

Sam's strengths in his game are his kicking, decision making, intercepting, competitiveness and running capabilities.

Sam is a highly-credentialed young man. Having been named Tasmanian Captain at all levels, he has played Under 12’s, 15’s, 16’s and 18’s.

Sam was part of the AFL Academy 2020/2021, despite having to overcome a wrist injury which impacted his 2021 season.

In his four NAB League games, he averaged 21.8 disposals, six rebound-50s and two intercept marks per game, which showcased his rebounding and intercepting ability which saw him selected in NAB Team of the year.

Sam attended the prestigious Guilford Young College in Hobart. He grew up on a farm in Whitefoord, one hour north of Hobart.

We see Sam as a versatile player, capable of playing AFL as a rebounding defender with the scope to progress to a wing and potentially a midfield role in time.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1033546/banks-becomes-another-tassie-tiger

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Pick 29: Samuel Banks
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »
he will fill out ramps, he is 187cm and young still a kid

I think Sam Banks maybe alright just too light. Dont these kids eat food lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 09:08:54 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 09:27:50 PM »
Well he at least speaks like Luke Hodge:

https://twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1456531738037866501

:shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2021, 09:41:21 PM »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 02:10:01 AM »
A message from the Apple Isle

Click to watch:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1463816285398077442

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2021, 02:11:42 AM »
Special moment for Sam and the Banks family

Click to watch:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1463813225418350592

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 02:24:01 AM »
BOLTER - Samuel Banks (Pick 29, Richmond)

With the second of three consecutive picks, the Tigers opted to secure Banks and go against what most had predicted, with Banks lucky to make most top 40 or 50 projections.

Listening to the attributes of Banks, however, and it’s clear why the pressure-heavy, hard-nosed Tigers opted to pursue him.

“He’s a player for mine that’s just always involved in the contest,” Mick Ablett said.

“He just tends to hang around and give himself every opportunity to get involved whether it’s at stoppage or an attacking type player with the handball receive.

“He’s a really hard worker and a traditional Tassie product who isn't afraid of contact.

“The Tigers have got themselves a nice ball-winning tough inside midfielder that can create opportunities around him.”

Kevin Sheehan was another who had Banks among the draft chances, likening him to Western Bulldogs rebound defender Bailey Dale.

“Most people hadn’t put him in their 40 or 50, but don’t forget about him,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-winners-and-losers-sliders-and-bolters-biggest-surprises-hawthorn-trades-analysis/news-story/53cb637ecafbf646ed88e0a864f0ef93

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 07:10:03 PM »
Old Figjam Jack interviewed Sam on radio today and encouraged to pull the pin at the Tigers and join the Tassie team when it comes in.  Said he'd like a management role with the Tassie team so will speak to Sam at the time and said if he was in Sam's position he definitely be heading home

Should have retired the prick at the end of last year if he has that attitude.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »
So we'll still get a decade out of him...presuming he makes it that is... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 05:35:24 AM »
From a ‘little old paddock’ to Punt Road – Banks is ready to roar

by AFL Tasmania
Nov 26, 2021

Whitefoord, a suburb of just 60 people, lies in the heart of Tasmania. Few links between this rural part of the state and inner-Melbourne immediately spring to mind, however, this small community has a strong connection to the Richmond Tigers Football Club.

Sam Banks, who hails from the region, will soon find himself in the big smoke, selected by the Richmond Football Club with pick 29 in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft. He follows in the footsteps of Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend Royce Hart, also from Whitefoord, who put together a storied career in the yellow and black, booting 369 goals from 187 games.

“I come from a little suburb called Whitefoord, 20 minutes away from Oatlands,” the 19-year-old said.

“I went from Kinder to Grade 10 at the Oatlands District High School. I grew up training and playing footy with the Woodsdale Footy Club on a little old paddock, pretty much.”

“For my home ground to now be the MCG, it’s a big step but it’s unbelievable. I can’t wait.”

Banks was pinching himself the morning after his name was called out, with the Tasmania Devils captain joining fellow Tasmanians Jack Riewoldt, Toby Nankervis and Rhyan Mansell – who Banks played alongside in the NAB League – at Tigerland.

“It was a bit of shock, really. Sitting there with my mates, my family and my girlfriend. When my name got read out there was shock for the start. I’m still lost for words.

“I had some interest from them (Richmond) through my manager yesterday morning but a couple of clubs were interested.

“I spoke with Jack Riewoldt this morning on the radio and had a phone call from Tom Lynch this morning but my phone was blowing up so I missed it. I had a call from Damien (Hardwick) earlier as well. It was great to hear his voice.”

“Living away from home will be tough but it’s something I’ve got my head around. There’s a few Tassie boys at Richmond and I’m going to move in with Rhyan Mansell for a few weeks which will be good.”

Banks, who captained the Tasmania Devils in 2021, has modelled his game off a soon-to-be Tiger teammate.

“Jayden Short is one I’ve looked at as a rebounding half back. I’m really keen to learn from him.

“Brodie Smith from Adelaide is another one. They are both a similar sort of player, rebounding half backs with a good penetrating kick, which is one of my strengths.”

After an injured wrist hampered his 2021 year, Banks feared he may have slipped out of draft contention.

“Going into the year I was reasonably confident, but the wrist wreaked havoc all year and I was worried I’d slide too far and wouldn’t be taken at all. Richmond have taken a punt on me and I can’t wait to get going.

“There will be a little more rehab (for the wrist injury). Fingers crossed over the next few weeks the ligament comes good so I can get cracking as soon as I can.”

Tasmania Devils Head Coach and Talent Manager Jeromey Webberley coached Banks throughout his time at Clarence. A once Richmond player himself, Webberley is confident Banks has what it takes to make a seamless transition into an AFL environment.

“He’s easy to coach because he has high talent, he’s a professional and he picks things up really well. He’s a natural football player and won’t have any issues going into the AFL system – he’ll adapt really well.

“His running ability is a real strength. He has an AFL athletic profile, but then when the ball is in his hand his decision making and kicking ability really sets him apart.”

https://www.afltas.com.au/2021/11/26/from-a-little-old-paddock-to-punt-road-banks-is-ready-to-roar/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 05:37:29 AM »
'Unbelievable' Tigers AFL opportunity awaits Tasmania's Sam Banks

Josh Partridge
The Advocate
27 November 2021

Watching the AFL Draft with his family, mates and his girlfriend, Sam Banks' selection at pick 29 came as a shock to him.

Despite the Tigers being one of several interested clubs, the Clarence and Devils star thought his wrist injury may set him back.

However, his name was read out and the calls followed.

"I had a phone call from Tom Lynch this morning, my phone was blowing up and I actually missed it but he sent me a message and just before I left home, I had a call from Damian [Hardwick]," Banks said.

"He's overseas at the moment but it was great to hear his voice and he's back over on Monday, so hopefully I get to meet him then."

In being drafted, Banks became the fourth Tasmanian at the Tigers by joining Jack Riewoldt, Toby Nankervis and new housemate Rhyan Mansell.

Born and raised in Whitefoord, 20 minutes south-east of Oatlands, Banks had a strong under-16 carnival as a top-aged player before continuing to improve.

One of many overseeing that rise was former Richmond player and Clarence coach Jeromey Webberley, who is now coaching the Tasmania Devils.

He said his former AFL side reached out to him several times in the past year to talk about Banks.

"The last time was probably about a month ago but there's not too much to find out about Sam really to be honest," Webberley said.

https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/7527728/unbelievable-tigers-opportunity-awaits-whitefoords-banks/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 05:38:47 AM »
Richmond draftee Sam Banks - Jack and Flash - SEN Hobart - Friday 27th December

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=932922

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »
Matthew Armstrong, a Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame Legend, who had a fine playing career himself at the game’s highest level with Fitzroy and then North Melbourne, has closely followed Banks’ football fortunes throughout his time as AFL Tasmania’s southern region talent manager and is a big fan of the way the 18-year-old goes about his football.

“Sam is a versatile player who has showcased his skills across a number of positions,” Armstrong said.

“He can play wing, he can play in the midfield and he can play across half-back.

“He is an elite ball-user by foot and a fantastic athlete with good speed and good endurance.

Sam also is an outstanding leader and the consummate professional on and off the field.

“He really sets a high standard for others to follow. As a coach, you need people like that.

“If he gets into an AFL program, they’ll put 5-10 kilos on him, and I think then they’re going to have a really special player who can play many different roles.

“Because he’s got such a good footy brain, and an understanding of many roles within the team itself, it should hold him in good stead.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently-appointed Tasmania Devils coach Jeromey Webberley agreed with Armstrong’s evaluation of Banks.

Webberley, who played 16 senior games for Richmond from 2010-12, subsequently coached Banks at Tasmanian club Clarence.

“He’s easy to coach because he has high talent, he’s a professional and he picks things up really well,” Webberley said.

“He’s a natural football player and won’t have any issues going into the AFL system – he’ll adapt really well.

“His running ability is a real strength. He has an AFL athletic profile, but then when the ball is in his hand, his decision making and kicking ability really sets him apart.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1035017/tigers-investment-in-banks-to-pay-dividends