Author Topic: Sam Banks [merged]  (Read 16026 times)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 29: Sam Banks
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2022, 04:13:42 PM »
I would have gone Bazzo, howes or Draper, maybe Williams. The club does their homework these days so hoping my opinion is wrong and this bloke is a gem

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2022, 09:07:54 PM »
Will be a good player. A nick vlastuin type of recruitment. Leadership, good player, potentially a 200 gamer. It was a very sensible pick.

Lol every kid we take is potentially a 200 gamer according to some.Nick Vlastuin was recruited as a mid that didnt work out too well he struggled in the role at afl level.

Im just putting it out there having taken Brown a rebounding defender of similar size and with Broad, Vlastuin, Stack, Short, Mansell it seemed odd that we would take another  HBF  when really solid mids were still available in fact better credentialled mids a lot of predictions from the so called experts had Banks going later in the draft.

But hey lets not question anything they do thats not on.

My recollection was he was taken as a defender and I thought I would  question My memory and your facts.

From the second post in the Nick Vlastin thread on the night he was drafted.

9. Nick Vlastuin

Former club:Northern Knights
    DOB:19/04/1994
    Height:186cm
    Position:Defender
    Weight:85kg

Player assessment

Medium midfielder/defender who attacks the ball aggressively and rarely fumbles. Strong and courageous in the air, he also excels at the stoppages. Loves the physical pressure of the game, winning contested ball and tackles strongly. Captained Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and won All-Australian honours for his work as a medium defender averaging 16.6 disposals and 4.6 marks. AIS-AFL Academy member.

End quote

Using alternate facts to support your arguments doesn't help your credibility.

Lol what a nonsense. He played all year as a midfielder and he was widely regarded as a potential top 5 pick.
For some reason vic metro played him mostly at hb in the championships and it stuck.This is not something new it happens a lot.

Go look up the right ups on Nick he was very much regarded as a mid and we were after a mid.

Lol pick 9 on nothing but a flanker its a shame those so called alternate facts are actually true.I wonder whose credability is wanting now. You better keep working on that memory.

For what its worth i was hoping Vlastuin would get to us at our pick but when Brodie Grundie was still there i wanted us to take him.
Even after both careers to date id still take Grundy.

Your loosing me Claw midfield or half back who cares played a huge part in our 3 flags that's what counts you try to find a negative in everything we do mate back the club who delivered 3 of the last 5 flags.
Will be a good player. A nick vlastuin type of recruitment. Leadership, good player, potentially a 200 gamer. It was a very sensible pick.

Lol every kid we take is potentially a 200 gamer according to some.Nick Vlastuin was recruited as a mid that didnt work out too well he struggled in the role at afl level.

Im just putting it out there having taken Brown a rebounding defender of similar size and with Broad, Vlastuin, Stack, Short, Mansell it seemed odd that we would take another  HBF  when really solid mids were still available in fact better credentialled mids a lot of predictions from the so called experts had Banks going later in the draft.

But hey lets not question anything they do thats not on.

My recollection was he was taken as a defender and I thought I would  question My memory and your facts.

From the second post in the Nick Vlastin thread on the night he was drafted.

9. Nick Vlastuin

Former club:Northern Knights
    DOB:19/04/1994
    Height:186cm
    Position:Defender
    Weight:85kg

Player assessment

Medium midfielder/defender who attacks the ball aggressively and rarely fumbles. Strong and courageous in the air, he also excels at the stoppages. Loves the physical pressure of the game, winning contested ball and tackles strongly. Captained Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and won All-Australian honours for his work as a medium defender averaging 16.6 disposals and 4.6 marks. AIS-AFL Academy member.

End quote

Using alternate facts to support your arguments doesn't help your credibility.

Lol what a nonsense. He played all year as a midfielder and he was widely regarded as a potential top 5 pick.
For some reason vic metro played him mostly at hb in the championships and it stuck.This is not something new it happens a lot.

Go look up the right ups on Nick he was very much regarded as a mid and we were after a mid.

Lol pick 9 on nothing but a flanker its a shame those so called alternate facts are actually true.I wonder whose credability is wanting now. You better keep working on that memory.

For what its worth i was hoping Vlastuin would get to us at our pick but when Brodie Grundie was still there i wanted us to take him.
Even after both careers to date id still take Grundy.

Your loosing me Claw midfield or half back who cares played a huge part in our 3 flags that's what counts you try to find a negative in everything we do mate back the club who delivered 3 of the last 5 flags.
Sorry Georgies what negative? In reply to a post all i basically said was Vlastuin was drafted as a mid that didnt turn out in that role but became a very good defender.where is the bagging.
And yes if given the choice between Grundy and Vlastuin again id still prefer Grundy.But hey i suppose to come to that sort of conclusion you have to take the blinkers off on opposition players.The only other thing i did is question why we took two HBF in regards to Banks wen we had already taken Brown and had so many similar options already on the list.What we can't question these things?

To put a blanket over them because Vlaustin couldn't make it in the guts is wrong let's wait and see.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2022, 10:07:58 PM »
It doesnt matter where he plays if he plays 150 to 200 games his drafting will have been a success

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2022, 03:50:42 PM »
Who was the player you would have picked claw instead of Banks.

Mate for me it was not just about the ND to correct some list short comings. For me it went all the way back to the 2021 mid season draft. Trade and F/A periods as well. Not saying we get all of them but  Sclhensog mssd, Skinner f/a,  Finlayson Trade, and Dunstan F/A were all players i would have been into prior to the ND.

Let me make it clear im not disappointed with any of the kids we took but i dont think we addressed our most glaring list short comings
That being an ageing midfield and just two key fwds.

On your  question the answer is i probably would not have taken Brown at pick 17 and been happy to take Banks where we did.
If we were taking a mid or even H/B at 17 it would have been Goater or  used it on JVR or a big mid type like Johnson.

Whilst im happy with the Gibcus pick i personally would have taken one of Erasmus or Hobbs. The reasons are simple our mids are aging
and with Tarrant, Grimes, Balta, Nyuon, and Miller it was not a serious need with the likelyhood of a tall defender being there at 28.

Going off memory  i think on the day with the first 4  i went

9/  Erasmus - 188cm MID with much upside imo. Happy as larry with Gibcus.
17/ JVR.  - Arguably the most highly rated KPF. Only his teammate Amiss was rated as high. Brown maybe a gun but the need was for a KEY fwd
28/ Bazzo  - Arguably the 3rd best KPD behind only  Gibcus and maybe Alleer. Having not taken Gibcus at 9 then this made sense.I had had him around here a long way out.
29/ Sonsie - Highly rated mid with silky skills before injury was rated top 10.
30/ Was Happy with the Clarke pick here even Banks would have been happy Liked the look of Howes and Draper.

Remember this is based on needs or greatest needs. Tall in particular fwds and mids for me was the greatest need and imo continues to be.

As for the kids we took well as stated im not upset with any of them

Gibcus looks a beut long term key defender.
Brown is a rangy 187cm hb with  great pace good athletically and good by foot but was it a big need.
Sonsie was the best remaining mid available and the more i find on him the more i like.
Clarke to me made sense because i have little faith in the small fwds we have especially Aarts and Castagna.he looks likely.
Banks again looks to be a good pacy rangy running type with good skills. Just that having taken Brown i thought we could address other needs with this late pick.

Again im not having a go at the kids we took i just dont think we addressed our biggest needs.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2022, 05:14:26 PM »
A balanced thought out response expressing a reasonable opinion , hard to argue with that.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2022, 06:52:59 PM »
I concur clawski

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »
I’ve always thought we should draft for talent and trade / recruit F/A’s for key gaps in the list.
I think we drafted a fair bit of talent. Hopefully we have a few F/A’s in mind for next season when a few of the ageing stars retire.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »
Who was the player you would have picked claw instead of Banks.

Mate for me it was not just about the ND to correct some list short comings. For me it went all the way back to the 2021 mid season draft. Trade and F/A periods as well. Not saying we get all of them but  Sclhensog mssd, Skinner f/a,  Finlayson Trade, and Dunstan F/A were all players i would have been into prior to the ND.

Let me make it clear im not disappointed with any of the kids we took but i dont think we addressed our most glaring list short comings
That being an ageing midfield and just two key fwds.

On your  question the answer is i probably would not have taken Brown at pick 17 and been happy to take Banks where we did.
If we were taking a mid or even H/B at 17 it would have been Goater or  used it on JVR or a big mid type like Johnson.

Whilst im happy with the Gibcus pick i personally would have taken one of Erasmus or Hobbs. The reasons are simple our mids are aging
and with Tarrant, Grimes, Balta, Nyuon, and Miller it was not a serious need with the likelyhood of a tall defender being there at 28.

Going off memory  i think on the day with the first 4  i went

9/  Erasmus - 188cm MID with much upside imo. Happy as larry with Gibcus.
17/ JVR.  - Arguably the most highly rated KPF. Only his teammate Amiss was rated as high. Brown maybe a gun but the need was for a KEY fwd
28/ Bazzo  - Arguably the 3rd best KPD behind only  Gibcus and maybe Alleer. Having not taken Gibcus at 9 then this made sense.I had had him around here a long way out.
29/ Sonsie - Highly rated mid with silky skills before injury was rated top 10.
30/ Was Happy with the Clarke pick here even Banks would have been happy Liked the look of Howes and Draper.

Remember this is based on needs or greatest needs. Tall in particular fwds and mids for me was the greatest need and imo continues to be.

As for the kids we took well as stated im not upset with any of them

Gibcus looks a beut long term key defender.
Brown is a rangy 187cm hb with  great pace good athletically and good by foot but was it a big need.
Sonsie was the best remaining mid available and the more i find on him the more i like.
Clarke to me made sense because i have little faith in the small fwds we have especially Aarts and Castagna.he looks likely.
Banks again looks to be a good pacy rangy running type with good skills. Just that having taken Brown i thought we could address other needs with this late pick.

Again im not having a go at the kids we took i just dont think we addressed our biggest needs.

The only question in that draft order is that by taking Eramus early then the draft strategy of every club changes and whether your selections would be available to us at those picks, especially Sonsie.

Fremantle took Eramus at the next pick. Do they take Gibcus or Hobbs or Johnson or even JVR?

All guess work now

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
A balanced thought out response expressing a reasonable opinion , hard to argue with that.

Agree.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Sam Banks [merged]
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2023, 04:31:41 AM »
"Sam Banks .... they tell me he's going to be an absolute star. Might not be in 2023 but he will be one of the best players at Richmond in the next decade."

- Adam Cooney.

Go to 7:30 min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7I_WST2LgE

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2023, 02:20:07 AM »
Got called a casual for saying Banks deserved a debut, form in last 4 matches.

R9 - 19 disposals, 5 tackles and a goal (2 behinds)
R10 - Bye
R11 - 16 disposals, 2 tackles and a goal
R12 - 24 disposals, 2 tackles and a goal
R13 - 27 disposals, 2 tackles and a goal

https://twitter.com/JourneyRichmond/status/1670256398603812864

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2023, 09:35:21 AM »
When he gets his chance, he will perform as he is a mature level headed young man. A future leader :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2023, 02:02:01 PM »
Oh great another dud confirmed... :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2023, 02:35:39 PM »
Oh great another dud confirmed... :shh :shh

Dud? heads up- this isn't the Cumberland thread :shh :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sam Banks to debut this week (RFC)
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2023, 05:50:14 PM »
Banks to make his debut also.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1371782/

Wingman Banks was drafted in 2021 from Clarence with pick No. 29 and has shown steady development since his arrival at the Club.

The 20-year-old has been knocking on the door for his opportunity, having been named as an emergency on numerous occasions throughout 2022 and 2023.

Banks, who also plays off half-back, has averaged 19 disposals, five marks and three tackles per game in the VFL this season, his two-way running a key feature of his game.