Author Topic: Tigers poor tackling (Fox Footy)  (Read 1959 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers poor tackling (Fox Footy)
« on: July 05, 2022, 12:02:08 AM »
Tigers poor tackling:

Tackling efficiency:    57%     2nd worst ever recorded

Buckley said it is an issue especially for a side that prides itself on its pressure. But he sees it as an opportunity for rather than a threat to Richmond because they are a team that knows what it's like to hunt and kill on their own.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers poor tackling (Fox Footy)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 12:14:01 AM »
Can anyone dig up what our efficiency was in our premiership years?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 01:38:30 PM »
The single biggest issue with our tackling is the majority of our players don't pin the opposition's arms

The 3 best we have at pinning arms are: Graham, Baker and believe it or not Castagna
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 02:46:15 PM »
Bolts did a couple cracking tackles in a row last week

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »
Diving horizontal to the ground isn't that effective either, seems to be a method of some players. Opposition breaking tackles is becoming all too familiar and it seems the coaches don't address it because it's getting worse. Hire a Melbourne Storm coach/player and teach these guys how to stop a player in their tracks. Sometimes I think we approach opposition players way too quickly which makes easy evasion with a side step, need to slow their approach and use a bit of common sense.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »
I think our gameplan is a factor in this.  Our gameplan revolves around turnovers (which we are particularly good at).  Tackling & pinning the arms may earn a free kick (which I doubt we'll get!) or force a stoppage, but allowing an opposition player to rush a kick or panic handball feeds our turnover game.  Why rely on the umpires to give us the ball as a reward for a good tackle when we can squeeze the ball out & rush it forward?
I might be wrong, but that's my take on it ...         
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 06:24:42 PM »
I think our gameplan is a factor in this.  Our gameplan revolves around turnovers (which we are particularly good at).  Tackling & pinning the arms may earn a free kick (which I doubt we'll get!) or force a stoppage, but allowing an opposition player to rush a kick or panic handball feeds our turnover game.  Why rely on the umpires to give us the ball as a reward for a good tackle when we can squeeze the ball out & rush it forward?
I might be wrong, but that's my take on it ...       

Yeah that’s why I’m keen to know what our tackling efficiency was in our premiership years. Are we actively worse or is this just how we’ve always been?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 02:22:11 PM »
Tigers’ burning question: Will Richmond sort their tackling woes?

Teams are taking the Tigers on and getting away with it, in an issue that would be concerning for the club, Nathan Buckley said. Richmond currently sit at just 57% tackle efficiency – their second-worst ever recorded, and are ranked 17th in pre-clearance pressure. “I think it is (an issue), especially for a team that rates themselves as such a high pressure side,” Buckley said On The Couch. “Around the ground they are still putting perceived pressure or corralling pressure, but they aren’t sticking enough tackles.” Garry Lyon said the “broken tackle stuff” needed to be addressed. “Opposition sides have looked at them – they have their tackles broken more than any other team,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-accused-of-falling-asleep-freos-liability-fear-emerges-the-blowtorch/news-story/30d6197539479f433c1284bcdaf87430

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 11:17:19 AM »
Still believe a part of the problem is the size of our players lots of smalls they attempt to tackle but too often opposition just get their arms free having drawn them in to then handball to  a free man.

There are stats and then there is the big picture.
I also think our tackle numbers have been in decline for awhile.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 10:04:33 PM »
Who is our tackling coach?  Do we have one?

Or is Luke Meehan doing this too?  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 10:06:14 PM »
We are pathetic in this department. So frustrating seeing players walk through our attempts.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 10:06:52 PM »
Been banging on about it for three years. Even previously good tacklers like Rioli are woeful now. :banghead
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 10:40:34 PM »
Might be something to do with how many dangerous tackle free kicks there are and players being rubbed out for it. AFL is encouraging players not to pin the arms and instead give players gentle hugs around the waist.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 11:14:25 PM »
Been banging on about it for three years. Even previously good tacklers like Rioli are woeful now. :banghead

It’s simple - we used to have a guy from the Storm training us. We ditched him. Watch the Lions technique compared to us and you will see the difference
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 11:37:12 AM »
In our premiership year in 2017 we had an abundance  of good tacklers.