Author Topic: Should Richmond re-build or re-boot? (7afl)  (Read 2636 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Should Richmond re-build or re-boot? (7afl)
« on: September 05, 2022, 06:46:42 AM »
Should Richmond re-build or re-boot?

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1566338108366503936

Heath Shaw says "re-boot". Add a couple of recruits and a couple of draftees and go again.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Should Richmond re-build or re-boot? (7afl)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 09:59:35 PM »
Sheesh if they are getting Taranto and having a go at Hopper as well then id say they are rebooting.
Should be rebuiling imo but that should not stop us also going for young mids like Taranto.Would rather we did it thru F/A though so we can attack the draft still.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 10:14:02 PM »
Given Geelong have rebooted for 10 years and they finished top I'm all for rebooting. Sydney do it too.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 10:28:19 PM »
10 years with no flag.

The core of Sydney’s team have absolutely come from the draft (although helped by their academy rights).

I’m yet to see the core of any premiership side built on anything other than first round draft picks (Riewoldt, edwards, dusty, cotchin, rance).

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 11:48:50 PM »
10 years with no flag.

The core of Sydney’s team have absolutely come from the draft (although helped by their academy rights).

I’m yet to see the core of any premiership side built on anything other than first round draft picks (Riewoldt, edwards, dusty, cotchin, rance).

Geeez i agree with ya here what amazes me is just how many now espousing the Geelong path were ripping into them not that long ago.

I think this year they have a slightly better balance of younger blokes  v oldies  regularly playing that may get the that elusive flag.

Flag or no flag if they keep all of their old players at the start of next year they will have 18 vets on the books. That is not sustainable even for just making the 8.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
It’s hard for me to dissect geelong. They have performed pretty average in general over the top up reboot method with some pretty bad finals losses. The years where they were close though they probably could have won it if it wasn’t for a tigers outfit which matches up well on them and can grind them out.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 12:28:12 PM »
They have consistently put themselves in the mix to win the flag. They might have won it in 2020 if it wasn't for Dustin.

They're in a prelim again this year and favourites to win the cup.

It's not like they are scraping into the 8 with a mediocre list.

The strategy has been a clear success for them, despite the lack of ultimate success.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 12:48:31 PM »
They were probably on their way to the GF in 2019 if they faced anyone else other than Richmond in the prelim

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 01:12:18 PM »
As harsh as it sounds, making finals doesn’t make you successful, it’s premierships or bust in this industry.

Their home and away record over the past decade is outrageously good but their finals record is abysmal. Can’t see how you can call that a successful strategy.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 01:17:32 PM »
I meant more in terms of list strategy. I think their list has been good enough to give them a chance.

From there it’s up to the players and coaches which is where they have failed.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 01:23:19 PM »
As harsh as it sounds, making finals doesn’t make you successful, it’s premierships or bust in this industry.

Their home and away record over the past decade is outrageously good but their finals record is abysmal. Can’t see how you can call that a successful strategy.
This!  Spot on.  I'm incredibly proud of our premierships, I'm up to #7 in my lifetime.  Every time we finish 3rd we go on to win the flag & how many opposition supporters envy us for that?   I count cups, not wins.      :cheers
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
I meant more in terms of list strategy. I think their list has been good enough to give them a chance.

Yeah I see your point there but you could also argue that the list hasn’t been good enough to get it done when it matters. This year may be different though although I’m backing the swans to win it all.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 03:10:58 PM »

Yeah I see your point there but you could also argue that the list hasn’t been good enough to get it done when it matters. This year may be different though although I’m backing the swans to win it all.

I think if your list is good enough to be up at half time in a GF (2020) then the strategy is working. Up to the players/coaches to get it done there.

Dont get me wrong, I bloody loathe Geelong, but I rate their list management. 

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How Tigers can ‘rebuild on the run’ (Foxsports)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 06:31:27 PM »
How Tigers can ‘rebuild on the run’ and launch a raid on rivals

David Zita
Fox Sports
September 8th, 2022 3:24 pm

Richmond might’ve lost the battle, but yellow-and-black army may be about to win the war in avoiding the dreaded rebuild, becoming the latest side to defy the usual convention.

The Tigers are well and truly in the midst of a ‘rebuild on the run’, with Tim Taranto set to join the club on a seven-year deal worth at least $750,000 per season.

Smart management of their draft capital and salary cap could also see them add Jacob Hopper to the mix, paving the way for a recharged midfield brigade in 2023.

Richmond will enter next season a genuine premiership threat once more and, like Geelong before them with Jeremy Cameron and other savvy additions, seem set up to avoid the pitfalls of the standard rebuild.

They already have a strong list. While they failed to win a final, they finished the year with the fourth-best percentage in the AFL, and did not lose a game by more than a goal after Round 6.

The new method for clubs in the premiership hunt appears to be combining a slow but steady stream of retirements with the retention of veterans on lower salaries and then bringing in some significant signings on long-term deals that allow for salary cap maneuverability as needed.

Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin have done their bit, re-signing for another year, while cap space has been freed up via the retirements of Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert and Shane Edwards.

It means the Tigers can afford what they’ve offered Taranto while still paying Dustin Martin $1.3 million next season and offer Jacob Hopper what Foxfooty.com.au understands is a bigger offer than that of Geelong - another side in the rebuild on the run mould.

The Tigers are positioned incredibly well not only to accommodate those deals, but also trade for them.

As it stands, the Tigers hold picks 12, 19 and 30 in this year’s draft as well as a first-round pick in next year’s draft.

The Giants will start high in their asking price, wanting two first-round picks in exchange for Taranto.

In addition to that, the Giants will also want a first-round pick for Hopper.

If there’s one thing the Geelong of 2023 has proven, it’s that three first-round picks going out the door doesn’t signal the ultimate all-in gamble many thought it was at the time.

The Cats have eschewed most equalisation conventions, keeping themselves in the premiership window and already having a significant number of younger players ready to take over when the likes of Joel Selwood and Tom Hawkins hang up the boots.

It’s unlikely the final trade deals will involve a total of three first-round picks, but in any case by the end of it they’ll have at least one more walk-up starter in the midfield, which has looked thin at times and has been left undermanned when Dion Prestia goes down hurt.

Whether it be a fringe player like ruckman Ivan Soldo heading across, or some negotiating done over the breakdown of Hopper’s salary next season, one suspects Richmond will hold at least one first-round pick in this year’s or next year’s draft.

Whatever new talent comes in will join an already impressive young brigade headlined by Josh Gibcus and Noah Cumberland.

The Tigers took three players inside the top 30 of last year’s draft, led by Gibcus, with Tyler Sonsie (pick 28) also playing in the elimination final, and Judson Clarke (pick 30) featuring at times through the season.

It’s a positive sign for the rejuvenation of Damien Hardwick’s side that they had six finals debutants against Brisbane - Gibcus, Cumberland, Sonsie, Ben Miller, Maurice Rioli and Jack Ross - despite all of their recent appearances in September.

Taranto and Hopper, 24 and 25 respectively, will add to the mid-aged bracket of the Tigers and provide the grunt, while the likes of Cotchin and Riewoldt continuing could prove the perfect stopgap while the younger Tigers develop.

Richmond’s premiership dynasty may’ve ended in 2020, but savvy list management means the next dynasty could be closer than we think.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-trade-news-2022-richmond-offseason-plan-analysis-tim-taranto-jacob-hopper-contracts-deals-picks-list-build/news-story/2a436857616a08a9789d23c051787df2

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 08:28:12 PM »
Think we are actually doing both

End of 2021 we went hard at the draft with a long term vision. Players that will be the cornerstone for the next 10-12 years = re-build

2022 we are looking at trading in players in their prime to ensure we remain a finals contender while giving the group above time to develop = re-boot

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)