Author Topic: Season opener: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG --- Round 1, 2023  (Read 15347 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Season opener: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG --- Round 1, 2023
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2023, 09:28:21 PM »
Shai?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2023, 01:29:36 PM »
The media are pumping up Carlton.

“They’ve got stars everywhere. They’ve probably got more stars than anyone ..."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/12/they-are-primed-club-great-bullish-on-carltons-list-in-2023/

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2023, 04:03:11 PM »
The media are pumping up Carlton.

“They’ve got stars everywhere. They’ve probably got more stars than anyone ..."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/12/they-are-primed-club-great-bullish-on-carltons-list-in-2023/
Ok, will give them Walsh, Cripps as stars.  McKay & Curnow are really good but stars, not sure. Weitering also very good.
The article mentions stars everywhere then in the same paragraph mentions Cerra, Hewitt, Fischer & Kennedy.  Um, no. 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2023, 04:43:40 PM »
McKay and Weitering are stars IMO. Proper A grade book ends. Walsh and Cripps A grade mids, the rest are all in that awkward B+ range but not proper superstars imo.

Curnow has a high ceiling but you'd want to see another good year.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2023, 08:22:07 PM »
they really do match up well with their spine. It is every bit as good as ours and younger

Tarrant v Wietering. Tarrant has been very good but Weitering is top notch and people forget he is still only 24.

Balta v Young. Young never got a look in at WB but look at his season when he did at Carlton. His season last year is better than anything Balta has dished up so far imo.A 22yo and a 23yo.

Tarranto/Hopper V Cripps. Well Cripps is the best inside mid in the game. Our two arent too shabby either. Cripps has been around for awhile but is still only 27.

Riewoldt v Curnow Right now with age being a big factor Curnow is the better player  obviously Jack has had the better career. Curnow has had his share of injuries and has just turned 26

Lynch v McKay  Clearly Tom has had the better career to date but McKay has done his apprenticeship and in the last two seasons has kicked 58 and 45 goals. he has just turned 25

Just playing devils advocate here but we do get the blinkers on when it comes to oppo players especially arch rivals.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2023, 10:21:14 PM »
Curnow is Grimes bitch.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2023, 02:56:58 PM »
Tigers’ 196cm beast: AFL draftees pushing for Rd 1 debuts

Catherine Healey and David Zita
Fox Sports
February 14th, 2023

With clubs in the midst of pre-seasons and practice matches around the corner, draftees across the country are pushing hard to make their AFL debut in Round 1.

Foxfooty.com.au assesses the players closest to an opening round debut at every club.

RICHMOND

Richmond ended as one of the biggest trade period winners in 2022, picking up the likes of ex-GWS duo Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto.

But that meant their first pick in the draft was down at No.49 and Kaleb Smith, while impressive in his early showings at training, has been sidelined with foot bone stress.

With their midfield depth taken care of, Trent Cotchin looks set to spend more time forward, as does Shai Bolton in a dangerous attack end for coach Damien Hardwick. That means the likes of young Steely Green will have to bide his time in the VFL.

The club could turn to Tylar Young, who came to the club via the Mid-Season Draft, given Josh Gibcus’ absence in defence to start the season through injury.

“Young (pick 26 in the rookie draft) has been in our VFL program for a little while and hasn’t put a foot wrong,” Tigers footy boss Tim Livingstone said.

“He has great athleticism for a big guy and he will benefit from having an AFL pre-season at 196cm. We think he may have a future, this young fella.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-round-1-debutants-2022-draftees-who-could-debut-straight-away-best-22s-preseason-analysis-latest-news/news-story/194236fc20e8de35d4a2749b2d369f18

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2023, 08:21:00 PM »
10,000 days since Carlton won a flag.

On September 30 1995 as their funeral March of a club song rang out through the MCG Carlton stood alone at the top of Australian Football. Since then it’s been salary cap rorts and wooden spoons and has been fantastic to watch.

Here’s to 10,000 and the next 10,000!

https://twitter.com/DaysFlag/status/1625602365318639617

;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Doubts" over Lynch's availability for Round 1 (SEN)
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2023, 09:04:15 PM »
“DOUBTS” OVER LYNCH’S AVAILABILITY FOR ROUND 1

By Lachlan Geleit
SEN
15 February 2023

Channel Seven’s Mitch Cleary doubts that Tom Lynch will be available for Richmond’s Round 1 clash against Carlton.

While the Tigers are hoping Lynch will be available for the March 16 clash at the MCG, Cleary isn’t so sure as he’s yet to see the star tall join in match play this summer.

Richmond have confirmed that Lynch has begun working on light drills with the team, but after having surgery to relieve plantar fasciitis, Cleary isn’t certain he’ll be ready to go for the season opener.

“I’ve still got my doubts (on Lynch’s availability),” Cleary told SEN Sportsday.

“I haven’t seen him as part of match play just yet and we’re getting pretty close now.

“He’s been on the outer wing at Punt Road for most of the pre-season after surgery in November, it was to relieve some plantar fasciitis pain he had.

“So, I’ve got my doubt around Tom Lynch.”

After kicking 63 goals from 19 games in 2022, Cleary does expect Lynch to make an “instant impact” once he is deemed fit.

“He has proven previously that when he does get fit, he can make an instant impact,” Cleary said.

“So, I’d watch for him in the early rounds to come into Richmond’s best team.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/15/doubts-over-lynchs-availability-as-hawkins-labelled-a-long-shot-for-round-1/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2023, 10:18:31 PM »
If he can jog in a straight line, he'll play.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2023, 07:03:09 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2023, 09:16:55 PM »
Richmond v Carlton tickets
Round 1

On Sale Soon

MCC Members - Rounds 1 to 3 - Tue 21 Feb, 10am (AEDT)
Club Members - Tue 21 Feb, 12pm (AEDT)
AFL Members - Rounds 1 to 3 - Tue 21 Feb, 2pm (AEDT)
General Public - Wed 22 Feb, 12pm (AEDT)

https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=RICHM0123

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2023, 01:56:32 PM »
Every AFL club’s predicted Round 1 side

David Zita and Max Laughton
Fox Sports
February 17th, 2023

Foxfooty.com.au predicts every club’s 23-man squad for the opening round, taking into account injuries and suspensions.

RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad

HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Dan Rioli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jacob Hopper, Marlion Pickett

HF: Tim Taranto, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton

F: Noah Cumberland, Tom Lynch, Maurice Rioli Jr

FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin

I/C: Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Trent Cotchin, Tyler Sonsie, Hugo Ralphsmith

We say: That Richmond midfield all of a sudden has plenty of depth. In fact, the whole side looks to have a fair bit of selection pressure, with Josh Gibcus sure to challenge for a return once he overcomes a hamstring concern and Ivan Soldo waiting in the wings behind Toby Nankervis and Ben Miller. Judson Clarke isn’t in here but is another who should be pushing for a spot. Jack Graham’s job getting back into the senior side hasn’t been made any easier by the arrivals, ditto Jack Ross. Hugo Ralphsmith is a likely sub to start the season.

--------

CARLTON

B: Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering, Lewis Young

HB: Adam Saad, Mitch McGovern, Nic Newman

C: Blake Acres, Patrick Cripps, Adam Cerra

HF: Jack Martin, Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni

F: Zac Fisher, Harry McKay, Jesse Motlop

FOLL: Marc Pittonet, Sam Docherty, George Hewett

I/C: Tom De Koning, Matt Kennedy, Matt Owies, Paddy Dow, Brodie Kemp

We say: Injuries to Sam Walsh and Zac Williams mean the best 22 at Carlton won’t be out on the park to start the year, but there’s still plenty of competition for spots. Oliver Hollands doesn’t look to have the frame to compete at the top level just yet and the Blues will take their time with the pick No.11. Sam Docherty is one who has been earmarked to fill the void left by Walsh’s absence, so he could get a run through the middle to start the season. Tom De Koning and Marc Pittonet may end up competing for the same spot, but Michael Voss looks set to give them both a run in the side at first.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-predicted-round-1-lineups-sides-squads-analysis-team-news-preseason-updates-injuries-position-changes/news-story/19fc469ee1cb12ebedee3c7aa1b95638

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2023, 06:33:08 PM »
Well I’m officially starting to get excited. I don’t know what this season will bring and I really have no expectations… but I am SO excited to see our two new mids in action and how that changes the whole landscape of our game. Will be Jack’s last season and potentially a few others I reckon so I’m excited to get to watch a whole season of these players one more time. If we do win the flag I think it will be the best yet.. hard to top 2017 but this would just be really special to send off a few of the older boys after such a great era for the RFC. Really excited to see what level Bolton will go to.. cumbo, sonz, balta, gibcus and don’t forget Maurice. Very very exciting times for a Richmond fan.  :gotigers

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2023, 07:14:12 PM »
Well I’m officially starting to get excited. I don’t know what this season will bring and I really have no expectations… but I am SO excited to see our two new mids in action and how that changes the whole landscape of our game. Will be Jack’s last season and potentially a few others I reckon so I’m excited to get to watch a whole season of these players one more time. If we do win the flag I think it will be the best yet.. hard to top 2017 but this would just be really special to send off a few of the older boys after such a great era for the RFC. Really excited to see what level Bolton will go to.. cumbo, sonz, balta, gibcus and don’t forget Maurice. Very very exciting times for a Richmond fan.  :gotigers

Well said. I’m with ya.

Edit: Fixed quoting
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 08:10:04 PM by one-eyed »