Author Topic: How did we all rate our 2022 recruiting effort?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How did we all rate our 2022 recruiting effort?
« on: December 01, 2022, 06:32:17 PM »
How did we all rate this year's recruiting effort?

INS:

Midseason Draft

Jacob Bauer - Key Forward, 20, 192cm, 85kg, North Adelaide (SANFL)

Trade Period

Tim Taranto - Midfielder/Forward, 24, 188cm, 89kg, Greater Western Sydney

Jacob Hopper - Midfielder, 25, 187cm, 88kg, Greater Western Sydney

National Draft

49. Kaleb Smith - Rebounding Defender, 18, 180 cm, 79 kg, East Fremantle (WAFL)

55. Steely Green - Midfielder, 18, 179 cm, 75 kg, South Fremantle (WAFL)

Rookie Draft

12. Seth Campbell - High forward/Midfielder, 17, 182cm, 73kg, Tasmanian Devils

26. Tylar Young - Key Defender, 24, 196cm, 92kg, Richmond VFL.

-------------------------------------------------

OUTS:

Jake Aarts (delisted)
Josh Caddy (retired)
Riley Collier-Dawkins (delisted)
Shane Edwards (retired)
Kane Lambert (retired)
Will Martyn (delisted)
Matthew Parker (delisted)
Sydney Stack (delisted)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: How did we all rate our 2022 recruiting effort?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 03:46:39 AM »
strongly addressed our immediate midfield needs, did not address either our immediate or future key forward needs.

Talent wise - ask me in 3-4 years.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 07:23:08 AM »
I rate them a 6 out of 10 at this stage. I really hope we consider a mature key forward to train with us as potential insurance. Nothing against a player like Narkle but I just cannot see how we need him. If Jack or Lynch go down we could have a big big problem. There was a 26 year forward in WA I hope we consider him.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 09:43:31 AM »
9 for bringing in two gun mids.

Would have been a 10 if they'd drafted a key forward prospect.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
8 for going all in on the 14th

will re rate to 10 if we succeed

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 12:23:06 PM »
Where's our key forward? Fail in my book

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
Im probably the only supporter who thought just getting Taranto was enough and keeping pick 31 and our first rounder next year.
Im not complaining mind. For me the only way that strategy will be a success is if we win the flag next year.

To be honest i really liked the Smith pick. But like just about everyone else at that stage of the draft was looking  for list needs.

Imo i think the following was do able

Bauer. A badly needed tall fwd i dont view him a genuine kpp.

Taranto/Hopper. With these two we certainly took care of a lack of big mids contested ball and clearances addressing immediate mid field needs.

Lemmy. trade a future pick to get here. Just a huge list need and there was a lot to like about him.

Smith. As i said i like this pick i think he is real good pick.I always take time to look at East Freo players and there are couple who can consider themselves unlucky not to be taken somwhere.

Bradtke. Just going by his athleticism i thought him well worth a punt and said so. The bits you find on him the more you have to like.

Just there we have the real list needs taken care of. Two big mids, Two genuine key forwards with good attributes to develop and one tall fwd of which he is the only one of his type on the list.

One hb/mid/fwd  who i thought was a bit of a slider.

Phillips/Szybkowski. We do lack big mids coming thru development i only see Jack Ross. Preferred Phillips over Young at 198cm and only 23 having shown he can play really well against all comers in the vfl.
Rogers a 25 yr old mid who has dominated in the WAFL would be good cover for injury and would be ideal to lead our kids in the VFL.

Finally Tyler Kietel is probably one of the best performed key forwards going around in state leagues in the last two or three seasons he imo would have been good ready to go cover if injury hit one of Jack or Tom.

Im not claiming to be right here only seen small bits of some and am going by highlights and and bits and pieces on the others.
Im looking more at list needs and the type of picks we had.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
I'm happy with the Young pick kid has performed and our coaches know his capabilities and upside will deprive a few.

Hopefully Bradtke comes through fills a need and Ryan and Bauer need to come through to.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 02:58:25 AM »
2022 AFL Draft Review: Richmond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLK_kkpRMhQ

---------------------------------------

Michael Alvaro
central.rookieme.com
December 7, 2022

RICHMOND sold the farm for a couple of star midfielders and held a slender hand coming into the 2022 AFL Draft. Although, the Tigers have been notorious for extracting late value and will hope to have done so once again. We recap their haul and analyse what each new player may offer the Victorian powerhouse.

NATIONAL DRAFT

#49 Kaleb Smith (Small Defender/Midfielder, East Fremantle/Western Australia)
#55 Steely Green (Midfielder/Forward, South Fremantle/Western Australia)

ROOKIE DRAFT

#12 Seth Campbell (Midfielder/Forward, Tasmania Devils/Tasmania)
#26 Tylar Young (Key Defender, Richmond VFL/Victoria)

Pick 49 was the Tigers’ first point of call, having essentially put their feet up on night one of this year’s draft. A West Australian bolter was in the offing, with East Fremantle speedster Kaleb Smith landing at Tigerland in the third round. His line-breaking ability from defence and potential to also swing forward piqued the interest of many clubs, so Richmond would have been thrilled to see him remain available.

The Tigers stayed in Western Australia for their second selection, just six picks later. South Fremantle midfielder Steely Green was their man, and is very much a Richmond type of pick in terms of traits. He’s small but tough, clean at the contest and versatile enough to play a range of roles. Having taken up footy later than most, he still cracked the senior WAFL grade and has improvement left.

Steely Green was Richmond’s second National Draft selection | Image Credit: Rookie Me Central
Akin to Noah and his arc, the Tigers did things by twos as they selected a pair of rookies to go with their National Draft additions. Seth Campbell was their first rookie choice, having been unlucky to miss out previously. He’s another small with senior experience, adding some speed and smarts in the mid-forward rotation. A bag of 10 goals from 32 touches in the TSL well and truly put him on the radar.

Richmond then dipped into its state league squad for the fourth of four overall selections, promoting Tylar Young from its VFL program. The 24-year-old key defender is a talented multi-sport athlete who has made great strides since switching to football, playing 14 VFL games in the yellow and black to earn his chance at AFL level.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2022/12/07/2022-afl-draft-review-richmond/

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 01:33:28 PM »

Lemmy. trade a future pick to get here. Just a huge list need and there was a lot to like about him.

Fairly sure that once we traded our future 1st for Hopper then we were not able to trade any other future picks unless we traded into the first round again

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 09:49:00 PM »
So take out the hopper Taranto trades what did we do? Interesting question hey. Take out the right now trades what does it leave as far as the list goes.

Interesting topic on another site was looking at our 25 and unders and where that lot would get us. Obviously not very far but what keeps on bugging me is apart from a few obvious talented kids the gap continues to grow between say best 26 and the rest as far as experience at the level goes. we must be one of the worst placed sides in the comp when it comes to this.

Imo compared to  just about every other team our cliff is greater and any rebuild is already going to take longer than even GESOOK.

Imo the only area we have covered is key defenders but in even that only Balta has any sort of decent amount of games behind him and im serious here im wondering if hes the player we all think he is.

Bolton and Taranto 25 yrs and under are the only two high quality. Sonsie looks likely.

Take Nankervis out of it and the rucks look well not the best atm Nank is already bwhat 28 plus.

Sooner or later all of the lets call em mature  premiership players will dramatically fall away if it hasnt already happened.
They are ALL one year older and they are all in various stages of decline.

What did we do to fix this well just for now only for now we bought in a 26yr old and a 25 yr old who most likely won't have enough quality around them going past this year to win a flag.

That people is the flip side to what we have done. Once again im just playing devils advocate here, there is always two sides to a coin usually reality is somewhere between.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 11:41:49 PM »
That's what happens when you win flags clawski.

Dow and RCD not worked out IMO.

KPF is where we are really stuffed.

Ruck, well you don't need a good one to win flags. Bank, Soldo and Stanley have 4 of the last 6 and they're all meh.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 08:31:29 PM »
Bump.

Any changes to your rating or opinion of our recruiting efforts over the offseason now that we've recruited Bradtke?

------------------------------------

Updated:

INS:

Midseason Draft

Jacob Bauer - Key Forward, 20, 192cm, 85kg, North Adelaide (SANFL)

Trade Period

Tim Taranto - Midfielder/Forward, 24, 188cm, 89kg, Greater Western Sydney

Jacob Hopper - Midfielder, 25, 187cm, 88kg, Greater Western Sydney

National Draft

49. Kaleb Smith - Rebounding Defender, 18, 180 cm, 79 kg, East Fremantle (WAFL)

55. Steely Green - Midfielder, 18, 179 cm, 75 kg, South Fremantle (WAFL)

Rookie Draft

12. Seth Campbell - High forward/Midfielder, 17, 182cm, 73kg, Tasmanian Devils

26. Tylar Young - Key Defender, 24, 196cm, 92kg, Richmond VFL.

Supplementary Selection Period

Kaelan Bradtke - Key Forward/Tall Utility, 21, 195cm, 97kg, Sydney (VFL)/Corowa-Rutherglen (O&MFL)

-------------------------------------------------

OUTS:

Jake Aarts (delisted)
Josh Caddy (retired)
Riley Collier-Dawkins (delisted)
Shane Edwards (retired)
Kane Lambert (retired)
Will Martyn (delisted)
Matthew Parker (delisted)
Sydney Stack (delisted)