Author Topic: The 2023 Bad Boys - Richmond capable of embracing the hate (mongrelpunt)  (Read 1002 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
THE 2023 BAD BOYS – IS THERE A TEAM CAPABLE OF EMBRACING THE HATE?

HB Meyers
mongrelpunt.com.au
December 18, 2022

An opportunity exists in the AFL right now for a team to grasp onto an identity and build their club around.

In an age where teams are very friendly with each other, both off and on the field at times, the scope for genuine rivalry, and the passion that comes with it is somewhat lost. If not lost, then at the very least diluted.

Most of the long-standing VFL-based rivalries are now dwarfed by the intensity of the South Australian Showdowns, or the WA Derbies.

Sure, there have been marquee games between long-time rivals, such as the annual clash between the Bombers and Pies on Anzac Day, or the Hawks and Cats on the Queen’s Birthday Monday, and many of the rivalries have ebbed and flowed when it comes to significance – to the point where they are strictly defined by the team you follow and their ladder position. There are no clear-cut heroes and villains in the league anymore.

And it is about time that changed.

When you think of the great NBA teams of the late 1980s and early 1990s, where do you land?

Is it the Chicago Bulls, with everyone’s favourite marketing tool as the figurehead? Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Phil Jackson led the Bulls to the first of two championship three-peats in 1991, 92, and 93 as they vanquished their demons and threw their hat into the ring for discussion as as to the greatest teams of all time.

Is it the Los Angeles Lakers, boasting the likes of Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson, James Worthy, and the legendary, but ageing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? Or maybe you liked the Boston Celtics, with the Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish nucleus?

Most NBA fans from that era seem to gravitate toward one of those teams.

Not many loved the Detroit Pistons.

The 1989/90 back-to-back champions weren’t exactly likeable… unless, of course, you enjoyed their brand of smashmouth basketball that often descended into brutality.

Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, Dennis Rodman… none of them had any qualms about putting a driving Michael Jordan right on his ass as he ventured into the lane. Most times, the defence would collapse on him and send him to the floor. They simply did not care for the welfare of the opposition. No lay ups. No easy baskets. The Jordan Rules

They just wanted to win.

And that’s exactly what they did.

In a time when the NBA was looking for their own marquee matchups and players to market worldwide, the Pistons rained on the parade of Michael and his Bulls, Larry and Celtics, and Magic and his Lakers. They forced the league to acknowledge them, and though history has seen them portrayed as thugs, they looked at a league that was heading on the fast track toward pretty basketball, and out-uglied the lot of them.

But we are talking about events from 30 years ago. Even 25 years ago, the defence-oriented New York Knicks couldn’t put it together to claim a title. Since then… it has been a procession of good basketball, with very few rivalries built on and expanded.

Jackie Moon was right with his mantra when it came to basketball, and it seems his thoughts are echoed in the AFL.

“Everybody love everybody!”

Is there room in the modern AFL for a team that does not subscribe to the notion that everyone has to get along? Is there a team capable of bending the rules, occasionally breaking them, and still managing to hit the winners’ column more often than not? Is there a team comfortable enough in themselves to embrace being the villain and squeezing every last drop of success out that tag?

The Hawks tried it on as part of their premiership dynasty. They’d probably be the last ones to successfully implement a noticeable degree of nastiness to their style of play. GWS attempted it, and damn near pulled it off in 2019. They used the Western Bulldogs as their personal crash test dummies in the Elimination Final, and that style of footy took them all the way to the Grand Final… where they ran into a Richmond team that completely destroyed every semblance of their supposed toughness.

And since then…

… no one has really picked up the ball that GWS fumbled on the last Saturday in September.

But that doesn’t mean no team ever will.

There are teams who have their brand set at the moment. They may be uncompromising, at the footy, but they still pick an opponent up off the deck and stand their smiling with them after a loss. Teams like Carlton are building a brand with ball winners and painfully fair players – Curnow, Cripps, Walsh, McKay. Melbourne are the same – the number of times I have seen someone crash into Gawn’s exposed back in a marking contest and leave the scene without remonstration is evidence enough that their focus is the footy and the footy, alone.

How about the Swans? If Buddy was five years younger, I reckon he could lead a mongrel-led assault on the competition and plenty of his troops would fall into line behind him. Not now, however. He’s mellowed.

So, rather than go through who will not adopt this aggressive mindset, perhaps it could prove more productive to explore teams that genuinely could elevate the level of aggression on the field and make themselves a nightmare to play against. Who knows how far it could take them?

I know that this can viewed as me sitting back here imploring teams to employ dirty tactics, but that is not the case. I just want to see proud professional footy sides treat their opponents like the enemy. I want to see a defence that takes goals kicked it against them personally. I want to see a midfield so invested that they want their opponents to pay whenever they contest the footy. It makes for a fantastic, gladiatorial spectacle.

And really, in that regard, I am a pleb in the bleachers at the Colosseum.

RICHMOND

THE LIKELY SUSPECTS – TRENT COTCHIN, JACK RIEWOLDT, TOM LYNCH, DYLAN GRIMES, MARLION PICKETT, TOBY NANKERVIS, LIAM BAKER

Ding ding… we have a winner.

The Tigers are a dead-set collection of mongrels, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. They give away a tonne of free kicks, and at times, it seems as though they do not give a damn.

I wrote above that Geelong may find themselves a little disgruntled when things don’t go their way – teams with flags to their name have that edge about them, and this has been the case for the Tigers for a while, now. This team is surly. They expect to win and still have the cattle to do so. Anything less leaves them feeling as though they have underachieved, and so they tend to get a little loose when the opposition gets on a roll.

And you know what?

I love when they do that because it shows they care.

Cotchin is a desperado, Nankervis looks like he genuinely enjoys hurting people, Lynch is not against giving a short, sharp one to the ribs, and Jack Riewoldt is the master of kicking people in the back in marking contests (you know he does it…).

If this team wants t be absolutely despised by the football community, they have the exact selection of players to get that job done. And if that ends in success, they’ll drink the tears of opposition fans like wine.

So, who will be the 89/90 Detroit Pistons of this group? There no teams that are the AFL equivalent of those Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls poised to dominate, but there is always the potential for a team to be physically dominant. Who can, and more importantly, WILL embrace the hatred and put everything else aside in the pursuit of the ultimate glory?

Or perhaps have we moved past the days when winning is all that matters?

If they choose to do it, I reckon Richmond is best-placed, and Port are not too far behind them. Someone has to wear the black hat in 2023 – why not you?

Read the full article here: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2023/2022/12/18/the-2023-bad-boys-is-there-a-team-capable-of-embracing-the-hate/

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The 2023 Bad Boys - Richmond capable of embracing the hate (mongrelpunt)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 06:15:22 PM »
I love those black hats & wear them with pride.  I don't overly dig this article (spent too much time on basketball instead of a real sport) but it does raise some points about us being the potential bad boys of the AFL. 
Personally, I'd love to see it.  We never, ever pretended to be the nice boys anyway so let's take it all the way.  Embrace the dark side totally & rule the galaxy with it! 
Black ....  with yellow ....      :gotigers 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 12:49:40 AM »
Jack the master of kicking blokes in the back?

Not really

Nank and Lynch on the other hand...

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 01:38:47 AM »
Didn’t read the article but to ur first line Andy, jack does have a tendency to dig his studs into the back of the defenders when contested a mark. There’s no malice in it, it’s just he doesn’t have the hoops for speccys anymore.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 03:18:45 PM »
Didn’t read the article but to ur first line Andy, jack does have a tendency to dig his studs into the back of the defenders when contested a mark. There’s no malice in it, it’s just he doesn’t have the hoops for speccys anymore.

Exactly, hardly a bad boy act. Article makes it sound malicious indeed.

I've seen many worse.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 01:58:09 PM »
Don't think we have a lot of players who actually have mongrel blokes who can be enforcers if need be.
For that matter i don't think many teams have them.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 02:09:18 PM »
Don't think we have a lot of players who actually have mongrel blokes who can be enforcers if need be.
For that matter i don't think many teams have them.

Thing of the past, everyone needs to be talented now  :lol