Author Topic: The Tigers have been the biggest disappointment of the first 5 weeks (ESPN)  (Read 539 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers have been the biggest disappointment of the first five weeks

Jake Michaels
ESPN
19 April 2023

I'm usually far from confident when I undertake in the crapshoot that is attempting to pick a premier before Round 1. But this year was different. This year I was convinced I was onto a winner.

I picked the Tigers for a number of reasons, most notably the fact they employ Coleman Medal favourite Tom Lynch and excitement machine Shai Bolton, had added midfield depth in Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, and were welcoming back a healthy Dustin Martin. All of this for a team which was as good as any last year, despite the fact they were bounced in the first week of finals.

Richmond wasn't just the No. 1 scoring team in the league in 2022, averaging 99 points per game, but Champion Data's expected scores would tell you they should have finished on top of the ladder with five extra wins (who can forget that five week period where the Tigers lost by three to the Cats, beat the Eagles and then lost to the Suns and Kangaroos by two and four points, respectively, before drawing against the Dockers?).

After five rounds, Richmond sits 15th with a record of one win, three losses and that season-opening draw against the Blues. They've dropped to 15th in points for, scoring four goals fewer per game compared to last year.

The Richmond model under Damien Hardwick's tenure never centered around winning a large volume of possession. Instead, the Tigers won fewer ball than their opposition in each of their three premiership years, yet were always able to consistently win the inside 50 battle. They backed their system to win the ball back before attacking with efficiency, often through handball. This year, they're winning more ball -- almost at a 50% rate -- yet are losing the inside 50 count for the first time. It's just not the Tigers way.

There's no doubt the loss of key players such as Lynch, Toby Nankervis, Robbie Tarrant and Jayden Short have hurt them, with several youngsters stepping in to take their places still learning the ropes of what it takes to play professional football.

I know it's still very early but it's hard to see this turning around.

Before the season began, and after I'd shared my premier tip, a mad Tigers fan told me they'd do well to play in September. I thought he was crazy. Maybe I was the crazy one...

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/36183068/afl-2023-six-points-draw-line-richmond-tigers-adelaide-crows-genuine-flag-chance

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Hard to argue with this.  We haven't come to play this year and that has to reflect on the coaches and senior players.