Author Topic: Teague and Rutten  (Read 1308 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Teague and Rutten
« on: May 01, 2023, 09:12:01 PM »
I am thinking these 2 are not causing the group to gel.

Someone like Luke Hodge would be a good get, unsure if he is in the system though.

Any other assistant coaches going around??

Any thoughts??

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Teague and Rutten
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 11:03:00 AM »
Grigg from Geelong,  Knights from West Coast?

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 11:04:52 AM »
I am thinking these 2 are not causing the group to gel.

Someone like Luke Hodge would be a good get, unsure if he is in the system though.

Any other assistant coaches going around??

Any thoughts??

Hodge is a Richmond basher.........he can FRO.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 11:53:06 AM »

You think?

richmond supporter as a kid

And certainly took Cornes to task the other week about our list decisions around Hopper and Taranto (in particluar)

So I dont' think you can say he is a "Richmond basher"

And just on the original question

Dont' think they are the problem.

Hodge still lives in Qld and does some part time work at the Lions

Think one of our biggest issue outside of the injuries is we have so many blokes horribly out of form. And because of for mentioned injuries we are in no position to drop as many as should .....

Throw in our abysmal skill level at the moment and we've got nowhere to hide

Going by track watchers I keep hearing our standards around skill execution at training has dropped away to be nearly non-existent. That isn't the fault of just 2 coaches. That falls on all our coaches
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 12:17:47 PM »
Bring back Leppitsch, Caracella and McCrae.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 12:36:31 PM »

You think?

richmond supporter as a kid

And certainly took Cornes to task the other week about our list decisions around Hopper and Taranto (in particluar)

So I dont' think you can say he is a "Richmond basher"

And just on the original question

Dont' think they are the problem.

Hodge still lives in Qld and does some part time work at the Lions

Think one of our biggest issue outside of the injuries is we have so many blokes horribly out of form. And because of for mentioned injuries we are in no position to drop as many as should .....

Going by track watchers I keep hearing our standards around skill execution at training has dropped away to be nearly non-existent. That isn't the fault of just 2 coaches. That falls on all our coaches

Training standards back to 2016 levels…some more learned have noticed this.
Some more learned are questioning why the boss went on a study tour.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 12:43:01 PM »

Some more learned are questioning why the boss went on a study tour.

I find the away on study tour a bit of a long bow TBH

No one cared or noticed end of 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019 when we won premierships and in the case of 2017 into season 2018 when we should have won the thing

Guarantee if we were sitting 5-1-1 no one would care

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 01:51:05 PM »
seriously who would listen to Teague. Most boring person in football. Send him back to Princess park.

Truck gets a leave pass and only just as he helped our flag years. What is lamberts role? The youngsters have gone backwards if thats what he is in charge of.

I like how the cats brought some old legends back and i feel Grigg would be perfect, but the same old argument about footy cap gets brought up which is a load of poo.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 09:16:08 PM »
I would strongly argue that apart from a few, skills was never a strong point of ours even when winning flags.We had a system that allowed this.
That system is no longer relevant at least to the point where we have too many who lack polish and we need to find a better balance.

Broadsword

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 06:36:39 AM »
Unfortunately we simply have to adapt to the rule changes.

"STAND!" has opened up the possibility of precision kicking through the corridor and teams are sitting back rather than pushing up, which means post-2020 teams have to be skilled by foot going inside 50.

In 2017-2020 we could dump it forward in the ugliest way for territory, press up, lock it in, and keep going.

In 2021 - present that's just not gonna work. We dump it forward (and it looks uglier now), the other team grabs it and picks us apart with good kicking on the rebound to free targets in the 50. It looks like what it is -- a complete shambles.

I agree that we were probably never great kicks to begin with but that it didn't really matter at the time. Now that it matters we look shocking with ball in hand and have failed to adapt.

A 2013-2015 Hawks type side would be in the ascendancy these days and it is incumbent upon us to change our draft, trade, and training practices to adapt to this new (corrupt) reality. 

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 08:50:24 AM »
Poor kicking skills for a whole team??

These guys are professionals, to me it is their bread and butter, a kicking drill once a week will make no difference, perhaps talk about decision making instead.

We have lost our mojo and new an injection of tough love via some new assistant coaches and a breath of fresh air into our drafting procedures.

In saying this the AFL levelling cycle has worked well for them, it just a bitter pill to swallow

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 08:53:27 AM »
Unfortunately we simply have to adapt to the rule changes.

"STAND!" has opened up the possibility of precision kicking through the corridor and teams are sitting back rather than pushing up, which means post-2020 teams have to be skilled by foot going inside 50.

In 2017-2020 we could dump it forward in the ugliest way for territory, press up, lock it in, and keep going.

In 2021 - present that's just not gonna work. We dump it forward (and it looks uglier now), the other team grabs it and picks us apart with good kicking on the rebound to free targets in the 50. It looks like what it is -- a complete shambles.

I agree that we were probably never great kicks to begin with but that it didn't really matter at the time. Now that it matters we look shocking with ball in hand and have failed to adapt.

A 2013-2015 Hawks type side would be in the ascendancy these days and it is incumbent upon us to change our draft, trade, and training practices to adapt to this new (corrupt) reality.

Excellent post

The rule that is the single biggest indictment or our game, clearly bought in to nullify our dominance has derailed us no doubt.

But we have to adapt.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 12:34:29 PM »
In our premiership teams we didn’t exactly have terrible kicks. We have short and Houli in the backline, vlastuin’s not a terrible kick either. In the middle we had dusty and I would even say cotch was a good kick albeit lacks penetration due to hamstrings etc. at half forward we had JR8 and Rioli.

Add Edwards (who was better by hand then foot) as well lambert who at least put it to our teams advantage with his disposal to the mix and we had a good spine of good ball users.

Now we have short, Rioli as the only good kicks coming from the back and probably only Bolton and dusty who could be trusted to kick it to our advantage if sending the ball inside 50?

It is disappointing that we don’t have more elite kickers. But wasn’t Clarke, brown or banks brought in for those needs?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 11:03:28 PM »

Spot on, WP.

When we have players who miss open targets during circle work at training then we shouldn't be surprised when they fail to hit targets in an actual match :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd