Author Topic: "I probably deserve it": Stewart ready & accepting of Richmond fan boos (SEN)  (Read 1839 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“I PROBABLY DESERVE IT”: STEWART READY AND ACCEPTING OF RICHMOND FAN BOOS

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
8 May 2023

Geelong defender Tom Stewart is accepting of whatever reception he gets from Richmond fans when the Cats face the Tigers at the MCG on Friday night.

The last time the sides met Stewart was key to the result in the three-point win as he collected 29 disposals as well as knocking out Tigers gun Dion Prestia with a sickening bump, leading to a four-week suspension.

Stewart said he expects a lot of noise coming his way from over the fence when asked about the reception he expects to receive, even admitting that he probably deserves those jeers.

“(I expect) a lot of noise,” Stewart said on SEN Breakfast.

“I'm not sort of blind or naive to the fact that they're a pretty strong supporter base and I'm sure I'll cop a lot of feedback on the weekend.

“But, you know, it is all noise, I think once you're across the boundary line and you're out there playing, it's like most opposition crowds, you can sort of take it against you or just realise that obviously in that moment I did the wrong thing.

“It’s probably fair enough that they’re allowed to boo me.

“I mean, some of the things that happen throughout the league of, of those that are getting booed aren't just, I think.

“But I probably deserve it in this respect.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/07/i-probably-deserve-it-stewart-ready-and-accepting-of-richmond-fan-boos/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Run Home with Andy & Gazey - Dion Prestia on booing and facing Tom Stewart on Friday night:

LISTEN: https://megaphone.link/NTETP5990149505

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESTIA PREFERS IF TIGERS FANS DON’T BOO STEWART ONE YEAR ON FROM BUMP

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
10 May 2023

Richmond star Dion Prestia doesn’t really want to see Geelong defender Tom Stewart booed by Tigers fans when they host the Cats at the MCG on Friday night.

Stewart himself says he’s ready and accepting of potential jeers coming his way after he knocked out Prestia with a bump in the last meeting between the sides, leading to a four-week suspension.

While Prestia admits the incident was disappointing, he says he’d prefer if that star Cat wasn’t targeted when asked whether he’s expecting boos to ring out across the MCG on Friday when Stewart touches the ball.

“I've been asked a bit about it,” Prestia said on SEN The Run Home.

“I don't know, I feel like if the more people that are talking about it, the probably more likely it's going to happen.

“Obviously, what happened last year, happened last year and it was disappointing for both teams and both parties.

“But, yeah, I actually don't really want to see the Richmond supporters booing Tom Stewart.

“We've spoken on the incident that happened … and he's an absolute superstar of the competition.

“You never know, he might be in a Richmond jumper (one day), you never know what's going to happen (laughs).”

While Prestia understands that fans come to support their team and barrack against the opposition, he personally isn’t a fan of when boos target individual players or umpires.

“It (booing) is a bit of a bit of a tricky one,” Prestia said SEN The Run Home.

“The fans are there to support and they pay the money to come and watch and guess support and go against the other team.

“But I find it pretty disappointing when they go after individual players.

“With Jason Horne-Francis, I think it's pretty disappointing with what's going on there, you forget he's 19 years old.

“I've changed clubs before and it's probably something that I feel is not a great look at the moment.

“But yeah, I think if it's umpire booing or towards an opposition player it’s not a great look.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/10/prestia-prefers-if-tigers-fans-dont-boo-stewart-one-year-on-from-bump/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
You deserved 8 weeks ya piece of dump. That happened right in front of me and that is exactly the type of hit that causes CTE.

All to win a game of football Tom.
People in bygone era’s that snotted blokes had no idea of the consequence.

Tom Stewart and Chris Scott did. They also knew the consequences of Dion Prestia being removed from the game on the Cats chances of winning.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Will happily boo and jeer this bloke. And would have no issue is opposition supporters bood a Tiger after knocking someone out.

You choose to become a villain then expect to be treated like one, which Stewart is and so it shall be.
Go Tigers!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I hope Mansell knocks him into 2024

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Just beat Geelong. That would be much better ...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Porque no los dos?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
He's not worthy of the attention.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘He should have got more’, but Prestia not holding a grudge over Stewart hit

Michael Gleeson
The Age
May 11, 2023 — 11.30am

Dion Prestia doesn’t hold a grudge against Tom Stewart for knocking him out last year. And he doesn’t want the Cats player booed on Friday night, but he does think Stewart got off lightly at the tribunal.

“I know that’s not in his demeanour at all [but] honestly, I thought he should have got more,” Prestia said of the four-game ban Stewart got for running past the ball, shirt-fronting Prestia and leaving him knocked out and concussed.

“I look at different incidents that happen throughout the season and think he should have got more, but it is what it is.

“I appreciate he [Stewart] reached out to me and Joel Selwood as well reached out at the time. I know it was something he definitely didn’t go out and try to do during the game, it was a brain fade.”

Prestia said he didn’t hold it against Stewart and wouldn’t look to retaliate when the pair meet on Friday night, and nor would he expect a teammate to do so.

“No, not at all, no grudge at all. I think you go into the game with so many other things going through your head and what you need to do. It’s not something that I’m going to worry about.”

Tom Stewart’s bump on Dion Prestia, for which the Cat was suspended for four matches last year.CREDIT:FAIRFAX MEDIA

Stewart said in a radio interview this week that he expected to be booed by Richmond fans and felt he probably deserved it given the hit, but Prestia hopes that doesn’t happen. He doesn’t like booing and encouraged Tiger fans not to boo Stewart.

“I actually hope they don’t boo him. I don’t think it’s a great look, seeing the stuff with Jason Horne-Francis I think is a bit disappointing,” Prestia said.

“I’m sure there’s gonna be people in the crowd who pay money to go the footy and support and stuff [who will boo] but yeah, hopefully not. If I’m over it, they should be.”

For an incident so much talked about, Prestia recalls little of it. He remembers the immediate play beforehand, tapping the ball over to Jack Graham, and then waking up to the looming face of a doctor in the changing rooms. Looking back at video of the incident now becomes an otherworldly experience, watching yourself do something you have no memory of.

“The confronting part [now] was where the trainer was with me and I don’t remember,” he said.

“I ran off the ground during that. I was, like, talking to people on the bench. And I remember that. That was probably the thing that was a bit weird.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he-should-have-got-more-but-prestia-not-holding-a-grudge-over-stewart-hit-20230510-p5d7fs.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Show Geelong's Stewart respect: Tigers coach Hardwick (AAP)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 12:35:26 PM »
Show Geelong's Stewart respect: Tigers coach Hardwick

Oliver Caffrey
AAP
May 11, 2023 11:47AM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has urged Tigers supporters to respect Tom Stewart, saying the Tigers hold no grudges against the champion Geelong defender.

Geelong and Richmond face-off for the first time since Stewart was banned for a month after knocking out star Tigers midfielder Dion Prestia with a high bump in round 15 last year.

Stewart said this week he was expecting "a lot of noise" at the MCG when the Cats and Tigers clash on Friday night.

But Prestia, who will play his 200th AFL game in round nine, said in an interview on Wednesday he would prefer if the Tigers supporters didn't boo Stewart.

Fan behaviour has been thrust into the spotlight this week after Lance Franklin was bizarrely jeered by Collingwood supporters every time he touched the ball last Sunday, leading to the Magpies, Swans and AFL issuing apologies to the Sydney legend.

Hardwick said Richmond would not be using last year's incident between Stewart and Prestia as motivation for the match.

"Fans are fans, 80 per cent of the people would cheer and be excited," he said at Punt Rd on Thursday.

"Tom Stewart is an incredible player, so all I'll say is give him the respect he deserves.

"From our point of view what happened in the past is in the past and we move on.

"We're happy to just hopefully give them a fierce contest and hopefully walk away with a win.

"The game is combative in nature, we understand that accidents will happen like it did last year but we don't hold any grudges, we just get on with it and play the game."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/show-geelongs-stewart-respect-tigers-coach-hardwick-c-10616983

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
I hate this woke narrative.

Show Stewart respect. Can we not boo and jeer opponents now? Or only good ones? Or players of colour? But it's OK to boo kids like JHF? It's OK to boo umpires? I'm a bit lost with all of this to be honest. I'm all for a safe and respectful crowd environment but also don't want to ruin the fan experience and atmosphere that we all love and missed during pandemic. We lose that if all we are told to do it golf clap.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I hate this woke narrative.

Show Stewart respect. Can we not boo and jeer opponents now? Or only good ones? Or players of colour? But it's OK to boo kids like JHF? It's OK to boo umpires? I'm a bit lost with all of this to be honest. I'm all for a safe and respectful crowd environment but also don't want to ruin the fan experience and atmosphere that we all love and missed during pandemic. We lose that if all we are told to do it golf clap.

I agree.
Stuff him.

I am not a booer and I personally thinking booing is really childish but if there is a place for booing it belongs to a bloke who deliberately take someone out of a game - particularly if he’s knocked out.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
So what else should we being in this democracy , coach a win against Geelong and I won’t boo him…….next time

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Perfect outcome for me would be:

Stewart is boo'd and abused all game.
Gets cleaned up early in the 4th quarter after Cats have used their sub.
Tigers win by 1-5 points and he is left wondering if they could have won if he wasn't on the bench.