Author Topic: Dimma quits [merged]  (Read 34166 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dimma quits [merged]
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2023, 08:39:24 PM »
Reckon Dimma might have learned a lesson from his great mate about the right time to leave. Perfect timing for him and his club. No chance for the relationship to be soured. What a coach he has been.

https://twitter.com/hashbrowne/status/1660580687240634368

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2023, 08:41:29 PM »

Apparently new girlfriend was up there working, doing different duties, which most of them found odd.

Mrs Hardwick flew up for a surprise visit and got a big surprise herself.

That's from the mouth of a player on the list during that period (now delisted).

Also the quarantine hubs were a joke, people throwing cocaine bags over the fence for them basically every day apparently lol.

Apparently  ::)

Rest my case  ;)

Yeah yeah...

Anyway, the players all knew and didn't care but from what I see on the field I think it's had an impact on their respect for him.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2023, 09:00:52 PM »
It has never been the same dynamic since he decided to renege on his vows to his wife.

Who knows how it effected the players (and wags).

Even if it’s on a subconscious level his personal integrity is compromised and his own words lose some of their meaning.

I know you want to believe "he decided to renege on his vows to his wife" and that you base this on media reports regarding on the breakdown down of his marriage

But none of us know what really happened nor do really know what if any impact the situation had on the playing group

Fair to say I disagree with your commentary but you are most definitely entitled to your view

TBH, I have no clue.

But I can only surmise from what I know of the impact (if true) of what infidelity creates and the reaction (if true) from Mrs Hardwick.

So worst case scenario, if true, would no doubt have at minimum a subconscious effect on the players and thus his own words lose influence.

Maybe deep down he knows his words aren’t having the same effect they once did.

That wouldn’t be a factor at a new club so maybe he cut his losses before the whole ship sinks.
The club that keeps giving.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2023, 09:04:25 PM »
Feel for Benny Gale during this time.

Peggy gone, Dimma gone. Cotch and Jack to go within a few months.

He was keen on AFL CEO gig that he would have got. Now he is such with an enormous task of repairing what he famously repaired all those years ago.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2023, 09:05:04 PM »
I've always liked the fact Damien Hardwick, even back when he was a player, had the courage of his convictions, wouldn't suck up to people for political reasons or his own advancement, but was still affable and smart. And whatever he does next, he'll always be a Richmond great.

https://twitter.com/rohan_connolly/status/1660598935684276226

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2023, 09:12:54 PM »
Going from 13th to premiers is for mine one of the most outstanding achievements in the club's history. Amazing that he survived 2016. Automatic in every recognition category that the club has.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2023, 09:13:40 PM »
Hardwick’s shock call a sign of the times

ByPeter Ryan
May 22, 2023 — 8.23pm

The AFL coaching landscape is getting madder every week but Damien Hardwick’s decision to step aside as Tigers coach after 10 rounds is the maddest development yet.

His decision took everyone outside the Tigers by surprise, and if anyone at Richmond saw the decision brewing they kept it well hidden.

It underlines what a tough, unrelenting job being a senior coach is, particularly if you are striving to find the motivation to scale football’s mountain for a fourth time, with a new group in the same jumpers, who you need to teach the same tricks all over again

Perhaps in the post-COVID world where evaluation of what matters is part of the zeitgeist, Hardwick is showing the side that endeared him to his players and staff.

Hardwick will be most disappointed he did not get to inform his players before the news broke because he was a players’ man.

He defended them to the hilt from start to finish, even when his defences sometimes seemed unreasonable to the real world. He had players board at his place. He invested his whole being, with even his marriage breakdown being a public event.

However, Hardwick lived by the motto never complain, never explain. He did not seek out relationships within the media but could be pleasant and humorous company if encountered in his downtime. He could also be direct and occasionally narky if he thought the bounds of basic decency had been breached. But he got on with things, away from the glamour and razzmatazz.

Under his tutelage the Tigers eventually became feared and ruthless and winners, winning three flags in four years in a golden run that gave long-suffering fans such joy.

The great irony is that the champion of that era - Dustin Martin - who battled with motivation in recent seasons is just regaining his desire, as the coach who handled him so well is losing his, either momentarily or beyond.

Hardwick will be in demand. If West Coast decide their time with Adam Simpson is up or if Stuart Dew is no longer the right fit for the Gold Coast, Hardwick is sure to get calls from them. But it would offend him to think he would seek another’s job, particularly ones he has played with or coached alongside.

We wait to hear from Hardwick for the reasons behind his decision. Perhaps the kick from Essendon’s Sam Durham that saw Richmond steal defeat from victory again convinced him it was best for the club and for him to take a break, reputation and relationships intact, the Richmond imperative to keep moving forward that Hardwick instilled alive in his last act.

Perhaps watching what the game had done to his great friend Alastair Clarkson made him reflect on what was being sacrificed in the pursuit of a game. Only Hardwick can say.

There is one thing for sure. The bombshell would sure do what he thought was necessary for media nowadays: get some clicks.

That the coach got to go on his terms shows how much he - and others such as CEO Brendon Gale - have changed Richmond.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hardwick-s-shock-call-a-sign-of-the-times-20230522-p5daf5.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2023, 09:41:06 PM »
anyone know what time the meeting is scheduled to be held? I am driving through and will drop in.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2023, 09:44:10 PM »
I am honestly hoping to wake up in the morning to find out it's all a hoax.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2023, 09:45:17 PM »
Robbo on AFL360 saying Dimma quitting now allows the Club to make the tough decisions on the future of our champion vets. Dimma now avoids having to make these calls himself.

For about the only time i agree with That imbecile.

It has been obvious for ages that the club has found it too hard to make the tough decisions. in that i dont just blame Hardwick.
Its clear he cannot make those calls and now they realise a rebuild is a must.
He has found a way to not make calls on players he has just got too close too and in recent years it has hurt us imo.

Personally i think in a lot of ways the style will still work well it does work look at the pies.
We just need to have more class and size.There has been changes to the game and our drafting has not changed to those changes imo..

I think if he does go then at seasons end we need to look at other areas as well. The two most important are List Management and as mentioned recruiting. Great development coaches are also needed.
That is if its the rebuild path which i think is the path  we need to take.I also think we need to find someone who can keep evolving the way we play.

His legacy well the 2017 flag was one of the greatest moments ive been thru. To get two others as well thats an awful lot of cream on top. For that i will forever be grateful.

It sort of spoilt it for me though.  the only thing that kept me going was the waiting to see a premiership.
Have for many many years been disgruntled with the way the game has gone and once we won those flags the disgruntlement has just increased to the point where yes i got my long awaited premiership but the game itself is hardly worth watching,The need to keep watching had been appeased.
 getting some long needed success meant the focus went to the game itself and just how poor it has become.

Not sure how good a coach he is but the first step is to get the players onside believiing in you and playing for you and also backing those players in.  that part no one can deny.

Personally i have believed for a fair while the coach is just the front man and he is just a cog in the overall wheel.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2023, 09:51:21 PM »
Tom Morris reveals the finer details of breaking the news of Damien Hardwick's decision to quit Richmond.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1660593813973266432

Hardwick didn't respond to Tom Morris' requests.

The Club wanted Tom Morris to wait until tomorrow after the players were told but Morris went public anyway  ::).

He’s a journalist
As a former journo, I don’t blame him one bit

He should break the news , it’s what his employer pays him to do

The person at fault is the one that leaked it to him in the first place ..
He had to find out somehow , that person is who should be held responsible

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2023, 10:03:21 PM »

He’s a journalist

Yep would like to know who from within the Club leaked it to him

If they are paid employee they should be out of job first thing tomorrow

And if they are not th3n whatever position they hold they should quit
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2023, 10:37:40 PM »

He’s a journalist

Yep would like to know who from within the Club leaked it to him

If they are paid employee they should be out of job first thing tomorrow

And if they are not th3n whatever position they hold they should quit

Yep and yep

Weak and gutless

Offline Tiger-time

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2023, 10:38:47 PM »
Pity Tom Morris couldnt let Dimma or the club announce it

This is Tom Morris we’re talking about. No class at all.