Author Topic: Dimma quits [merged]  (Read 34139 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Dimma quits [merged]
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2023, 11:05:02 AM »
Lots of emotions.

Very proud how far our footy club has come I grew up with. KB and the revolving door of coaches through the nineties. Dimma sold our place beautifully for any coach wanting a top top job. Made me think why leave but ge he looked happy in his decision.

A bit sad that it's the end of an era which will be capped off with Cotch and Jack farewells.

Benny G looked absolutely shattered.

Also I took away from that, that I'm very confident we will be OK. We aren't in crisis like many clubs are when a coach leaves. We will be ok in short and long term.

I still have an issue about the leaker. May have been Yoko Ono Alex who knows.
Go Tigers!

Broadsword

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2023, 11:16:34 AM »
Really empty feeling.

Feels like everyone just left after Christmas and there's nothing but an empty house and washing up to do. But at least that's a measure that your really liked the ones you were with and the time you spent together.

I feel for B. Gale. Hopefully people get around him and support him like he has supported so many because unlike retirees and Dimma he has to go again.

Winning 3 from being a basket case -- the compromised drafts, Covid, the emotional nature of our footy program and the physically committed style of footy we played -- it's taken a lot out of everyone. The air just got let out of the tires today. Hopefully there's some good energy around to pump everyone back up.

I'm flat as a tack. 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2023, 11:21:21 AM »
Really empty feeling.

Feels like everyone just left after Christmas and there's nothing but an empty house and washing up to do. But at least that's a measure that your really liked the ones you were with and the time you spent together.

I feel for B. Gale. Hopefully people get around him and support him like he has supported so many because unlike retirees and Dimma he has to go again.

Winning 3 from being a basket case -- the compromised drafts, Covid, the emotional nature of our footy program and the physically committed style of footy we played -- it's taken a lot out of everyone. The air just got let out of the tires today. Hopefully there's some good energy around to pump everyone back up.

I'm flat as a tack. 

Wait until Jack and Cotch retire.

Then it really will feel like we don't even know the team anymore :(

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2023, 11:25:20 AM »
Agree 10000% on BGale. The guy deserved the AFL CEO gig, got stuffed around and now he's left to pick up the pieces of the place he built from nothing.

I think Jack leaving will be the hardest, I don't know why, as much as Cotch is our captain and leader, I feel Dusty and Jack are our X Factor face of the clubs success. That'll be on par with Warney's walk off the G. Probably worse actually.
Go Tigers!

Broadsword

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2023, 11:25:55 AM »
Really empty feeling.

I'm flat as a tack. 

Wait until Jack and Cotch retire.

Then it really will feel like we don't even know the team anymore :(
Yeah I was thinking about that. Because he left with grace and good wishes I'm sure Dimma will be back refreshed after a few months away and be there as they leave the ground. That will be a bittersweet moment for sure.

I think for people of a certain age (I'm 34) this is tough in its own way in that we only know success at Richmond with Hardwick. I couldn't imagine being early 20s right now -- he'd be all you'd ever known!

Reflecting a lot on his time in charge at the moment -- all the ups and downs. I said in 2015 I'd always be grateful to him for restoring Richmond as a respectable club with back-to-back-to-back finals appearances. And then he delivered so much more.

Yeah, just really flat atm.  Have to let it settle and the new hope and energy will come. Life goes on.

Broadsword

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2023, 11:32:00 AM »
Agree 10000% on BGale. The guy deserved the AFL CEO gig, got stuffed around and now he's left to pick up the pieces of the place he built from nothing.
He's simply brilliant.

He looked shattered in 95 when Northey left as well. Who could have seen the shape of things to come?

"In the hour of greatest slaughter the great avenger is being born."

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2023, 11:32:47 AM »
Just bought a big bottle of scotch will be watching 2017, 19 and 20 finals in order over the next few nights.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2023, 12:30:26 PM »
Damien Hardwick Statement

By Richmond Media
23 May 2023

Richmond senior coach Damien Hardwick today announced his resignation, effective immediately.

Hardwick, who was appointed as senior coach of Richmond in 2010, coached the Club for a record-breaking 307 games, winning 170 of those and steering the Tigers to three premierships (2017, 2019, and 2020).

Hardwick said he no longer had the energy required to continue as senior coach.

“Coaching is all-consuming, it’s relentless, and you must be totally committed. I have been thinking about this decision for some time, and I feel now is the right time to step away,” Hardwick said.

“I love this Club, the players, staff, and fans too much to continue to coach when I don’t feel like I’m 100% in – you can’t coach like that, and it would be doing the wrong thing by everyone.

“My time as Richmond coach has been the most fulfilling of my time in football. Richmond is an incredible Club full of amazing people. What we have achieved together is something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

“I will be forever grateful for the opportunity Richmond gave me and the unwavering support I have always had from John, Peggy, Brendon, and the rest of the Board. I also thank them for their understanding when I told them of my decision.

“I have been blessed to work with some great coaches and players, and I thank all of them. I have built some amazing friendships that will remain for life.

“I would particularly like to thank Tim Livingstone and Blair Hartley – wonderful football people who do a brilliant job managing our football program and will continue to set the Club up for future success.

“And to the mighty Tiger Army, thank you for your magnificent support. The roar of the Richmond crowd will forever ring in my ears.”

Richmond President John O’Rourke said Hardwick had made an extraordinary contribution to the Club.

“Damien is a giant of our Club, and we thank him for everything he has given us over the past 14 seasons,” O’Rourke said.

“While his three Premierships will be the headline, he has given this Club so much more. He taught us about genuine care, connection, and the power of storytelling. He loved his players, and they loved him.

“His decision came as a shock, but it is something he has given serious thought, and we need to respect the decision he has made.

“It is a measure of the man that he has made this decision in what he sees as the best interests of the Club. Selflessness is one of his great qualities; for that, Damien is and always will be revered as a Richmond man.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1338217/damien-hardwick-statement

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2023, 12:51:49 PM »
Thank you so much Dimma. You are a legend and will be missed.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2023, 01:24:08 PM »
It has never been the same dynamic since he decided to renege on his vows to his wife.

Who knows how it effected the players (and wags).

Even if it’s on a subconscious level his personal integrity is compromised and his own words lose some of their meaning.

I know you want to believe "he decided to renege on his vows to his wife" and that you base this on media reports regarding on the breakdown down of his marriage

But none of us know what really happened nor do really know what if any impact the situation had on the playing group

Fair to say I disagree with your commentary but you are most definitely entitled to your view
Even he knew his voice stopped having the same impact it once had.
I certainly have my opinion on why that is the case but I’ll just let Damian Hardwick speak for himself

It was time for a different voice. I’ve pushed every button I can and I’ve tried to cook the sausages 1000 ways.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwick-reveals-real-reason-for-decision-to-quit-tigers/news-story/8235bd09b21f0ec112bbc2de3c25101f

All the best Dimma thanks for all the great memories.  :cheers
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2023, 01:27:48 PM »
HOW HARDWICK REINVENTED HIMSELF, REFINED COACHING AND REDESIGNED THE GAME

By Gerard Whateley
SEN
23 May 2023

Damien Hardwick’s time at Richmond will come to a close during our time together this morning.

A glorious era that will endure in so many Tiger hearts.

He will have been such an important figure in so many of your lives across the past 14 years.

I imagine there’s an overwhelming sense of gratitude and a debt of loyalty.

While we wait to hear from Dimma, I’d love to give you the platform to share whatever emotions you are feeling as the reality sets in.

Hardwick will leave Punt Road as the club’s longest serving and, alongside Tom Hafey, its most influential coach.

More broadly, he’s a profound figure in the profession and the game.

In his 14 seasons Hardwick reinvented himself, refined coaching and redesigned the game.

He made chaos not only attractive but desirable. Fast footy, forward momentum became essential.

He derived the mantra of embracing imperfection. Ushering in the notion now spoken of as being the goldfish or using the windscreen wipers.

For a club that had twisted itself like a pretzel for decades, Hardwick had the new age Tigers play with a smile, a lightness of being.

Hardwick came to understand connection off the field was more important than anything he could plot on it.

Vulnerability became a religion in the locker room. The Triple H sessions at the core of their being. The aspiration was to be a Richmond Man.

It wasn’t the Xs and Os that created the juggernaut.

In the Hardwick legacy is the powerful case study of a club staying the course.

He survived a much-publicised review in 2016 and an attempted board coup that ran on the platform of sacking the coach – a not unpopular view at the time if we honestly look back.

Hardwick eased his controlling and obsessive ways. His transformation triggered the reinvention of the team.

And sparked a glorious run.

The premierships of ‘17, ‘19 and ‘20 cherished by the Tiger faithful and admired by all who love the game.

Amid the shock I can’t help but feel this is a great way to go.

Sudden and swift rather the protracted way these things tend to play out.

Hardwick had a long running joke with colleagues of walking to the car at half-time and heading to the airport to jump on a flight to Bali.

Metaphorically he’s done something pretty close to that.

This story breaks in so many directions.

Will Hardwick coach again? Who would be the ideal candidate for Richmond? What does a vacancy do to the terrain?

Suddenly it’s a buyers market and historically that sparks a run.

All of that is in play.

But principally this is a chance to honour Damien Hardwick and what he’s done for Richmond.

I hope he coaches on Sunday. If he’d rather not, then I hope he’s there.

It’s hardly a stretch to imagine 90,000 members of the Richmond community filling the MCG to express their love and gratitude to a coach who has given them so much.

And when the battle is over and the arms laid down there has to be a moment to acknowledge who you were fighting for and what it meant to them.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/22/how-hardwick-reinvented-himself-refined-coaching-and-redesigned-the-game/

Broadsword

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2023, 03:02:08 PM »
Just bought a big bottle of scotch will be watching 2017, 19 and 20 finals in order over the next few nights.
I'm watching round 10, 2010 -- Hardwick's first win in torrential rain in Adelaide.

Astbury
Collins
Cotchin
Cousins
Deledio
Edwards
Farmer
Gus Graham
Griffiths
King
Martin
McGuane
Moore
Nahas
Nason
Newman
Polak
Riewoldt
Tambling
Tuck (Vale)
Webberley
White

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2023, 03:14:04 PM »
I'm watching round 10, 2010 -- Hardwick's first win in torrential rain in Adelaide.

Astbury
Collins
Cotchin
Cousins
Deledio
Edwards
Farmer
Gus Graham
Griffiths
King
Martin
McGuane
Moore
Nahas
Nason
Newman
Polak
Riewoldt
Tambling
Tuck (Vale)
Webberley
White

Geez there are some horrible players on that list. Makes the turnaround even more amazing

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2023, 05:49:25 PM »
Thank you so much Dimma. You brought premiership success to this club. You brought us out of a horrible drought. You brought enormous joy to supporters. It was the right decision to make. It was a selfless act. You will be remembered as a true legend of this club- a coach who was inspirational, fiercely loyal to his players and who brought the best out of his players.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2023, 07:48:59 PM »
25 years of being mostly a laughing stock and not coming anywhere near any success with only 2 finals appearances. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we could win a flag let alone 3 in 5 years. Dimma played as big a role as anyone in that. Thank you Dimma  :bow :cheers :clapping