Author Topic: Richmond are looking at a four to five year rebuild says Matthew Lloyd (3aw)  (Read 468 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Matthew Lloyd has stated Richmond are looking at a four to five rebuild before being really competitive again.

It comes after some disastrous results for the Tigers in recent weeks to go with a worrying injury list at the moment.

“It’s a really interesting time for Adem Yze,” Lloyd said on 3AW’s Wide World of Sports.

LISTEN HERE: https://www.3aw.com.au/matthew-lloyd-richmond-are-looking-at-a-four-to-five-year-rebuild/

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Putting aside my Richmond bias, the AFL need to get more creative to help clubs rebuild more quickly. 3-4 draft picks per year doesn’t get it done in a reasonable timeframe. Especially now that front running clubs can stay stronger for longer with free agency. A mid season draft would help reinvigorate a clubs list (even just player swaps rather than draft picks). And, might reinvigorate a few careers if there is a chance to go from a cellar dwelling club to a finals contender, or for a young kid to expedite his AFL career by getting a quicker taste at the higher level.

I’d also like to see AFL contracted players be able to nominate for the current mid-season draft. Obviously there would need to be some tight guidelines but, asking clubs to ‘protect’ xx number of player leaving xx number of players available for the taking.

Just throwing ideas out there, what are people’s thoughts?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think we need larger TPP and soft caps for lower clubs which taper off depending on where they finish on the ladder so they can afford more FAs and better club support

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
The list salary cap is really  the only "equalisation" you need....just make everyone pay 100% and ban front loaded & back ended contracts.... :shh
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 02:26:35 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
If you accept we are back at ground zero and have to regenerate via the draft , 4- 5 years is pretty conservative.

I look back to the career of Cotchin who started in volatile times , his first final was after 100 or so games ……that’s five seasons of growth and pain .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Yeppppppppppppppppppppppp

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Cotchin's first two seasons were under Treading Water and he effectively went through the second half of one failed rebuild and all of the other -which included an ill-fated board challenge and was exacerbated by the expansion sides,  Hardwick's pigheadedness,  some questionable drafting & list management and a lack of belief caused by four decades of failure with most players having no memory of what a successful and dominant Richmond side looks like ....there's no standard time frame  ....all media bullshyte...some clubs take 20 years, some only take 2 or 3 ...others just constantly renovate (the smartest way IMO) and never need to rebuild.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think we can bounce back reasonably quickly but need to nail the next 2-3 draft/trade/free agent periods
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.