Author Topic: Memorable moments #6: 80's Trade Wars: Part 1 - Three champions walk  (Read 14932 times)

Ramps

Re: Memorable moments #6: 80's Trade Wars: Part 1 - Three champions walk
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
"We don't spend money we haven't got. We try to be prudent and responsible. Our players are paid in cash, not IOUs."

:-\ :whistle

another OER classic response

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:50:10 AM »
Thought I chuck in here the 1983 list for us oldies:

RICHMOND FC PLAYING LIST - 1983

OLD:
Kevin Bartlett
Ross Brewer
Emmett Dunne
Phil Egan
Jim Jess
Mervyn Keane
Graeme Landy
Mark Lee
John Manton
Alan Martello
Geoff Martin
Noel Mugavin
A Pearson
Andy Preston
Maurice Rioli
Michael Roach
Barry Rowlings (c)
Ian Sartori
Paul Sarah
Wayne Shand
Greg Strachan
Darryl Sutton
Bruce Tempany
Brian Taylor
Matthew Wall
Dale Weightman
Peter Welsh
Robert Wiley
Shane Williams

OFF:
David Cloke (Collingwood)
Terry Smith (St Kilda)
Daryl Vernon (Swans)
G Brown (retired)
Michael Malthouse (retired)
Bryan Wood (retired/resigned)

NEW:
D Hewett (from St Kilda)
Richard Murrie (from Geelong)

On List subject to Clearance:
Dan Foley
Tim Gepp
Mark Housley
David Palm
Geoff Ablett

To be considered when available:
Stephen Mount
Michael Nugent
Stephen Pirrie
Trevor Poole
N Ross
Geoff Raines (contracted but has resigned)

Supplementary List:
A Banks, Frank Bain, Craig Balme, M Bell, Greg Conlan, B Hodge, M Lauritz, Michael Lockman, P McEboy, N McIntosh, R Marks, M Meade, C Melican, S Palmer, W Peach, Michael Pickering, S Rolton, Bradley Ross, T Walder, Brian Winton.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 02:58:26 AM »
Other Richmond events leading up to round 1 of the 1983 season

Feb 28 - Geoff Ablett wants to join Richmond from Hawthorn

Mar 1 - Michael Malthouse retires due to a dislocated shoulder which he injured in the 1982 2nd Semi-Final against Carlton. The shoulder failed to respond after off-season surgery on it. He is chased by Footscray to replace Ian "Bluey" Hampshire as senior coach.

Mar 16 - Greg Miller, Swans recruiting officer, haggles with Richmond officials over a clearance for South Freo rover Daryl Vernon who was tied to Richmond.

Mar 17 - David Cloke is named vice-captain of Collingwood before even pulling on the boots for the Pies alongside captain (and future Port Adelaide coach) Mark Williams under the "New Magpies" regime at Victoria Park.

Mar 17 - Richmond loses its third straight practice match as St Kilda coach Tony Jewell ends the game at three-quarter time due to bad light with the Saints 31 points up. Francis Bourke isn't a happy Tigers coach.

Mar 21 - Royce Hart returns to Richmond as skills coach.

Mar 25 - VFL Player Payments are shown to have increased by a whopping 1820% in the past decade, 1973-1983.

Mar 26 - Round 1 vs Carlton at Princes Park:

Lou Richards places his infamous "kiss of death" on Richmond. Tipping the Tigers to smash the Blues in the "Grand Final Re-Pay". History would prove otherwise as Richmond cops a 10 goal hiding after a second half blitz by Carlton.

Richmond  4.3   7.4    10.9   11.10 - 76
Carlton      4.0   8.6    13.9   20.16 - 136

Goals: Taylor 6, Wiley 2, Roach, Sarah, Bartlett.

Team:

B:    Keane        Sutton           Dunne
HB:  Shand        Jess            Strachan
C:    Egan           Rioli            Sartori
HF:  Bartlett        Roach         Williams
F:    Sarah         Taylor          Wiley
R:    Lee, Rowlings, Weightman
Int:  Gepp, Martin

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 10:04:57 AM »
I wonder........

If Geoff Ablett had of played for Richmond, could a certain brother of his also have turned up at Punt Road???
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 03:23:12 PM »
I wonder........

If Geoff Ablett had of played for Richmond, could a certain brother of his also have turned up at Punt Road???

Gary was on Hawthorn's list in 1983 before he crossed to Geelong in 85(?). Only Geoff crossed over to Richmond. If Gary  had come too it would have saved us from him kicking 14 goals against us every time we played the Cats  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 03:29:37 PM »
Thanks to One-eyed for the historical review. :clapping

The 1st time I really started to question what happened at a senior footy club, and particularly at Richmond because the formula had been so successful.

The formula - recruit young and develop them thru the Under 19's.  Successful formula from mid 60's to late 70's.

Do NOT trade for, only trade away !

Might need to revisit that philosophy because RFC circa 2006 is hedged half way.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 04:49:51 AM »
I wonder........

He did, and a certain brother also turned up.  ;)

Kevin.  ;D
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 08:32:30 AM »
He did, and a certain brother also turned up.  ;)

Kevin.  ;D

Thats who I meant  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 06:51:23 PM »
Thanks to One-eyed for the historical review. :clapping

The 1st time I really started to question what happened at a senior footy club, and particularly at Richmond because the formula had been so successful.

The formula - recruit young and develop them thru the Under 19's.  Successful formula from mid 60's to late 70's.

Do NOT trade for, only trade away !

Might need to revisit that philosophy because RFC circa 2006 is hedged half way.

Apart from stupid decisions made by the Club's admin at the time, our downfall IMO was also in part due to us being screwed by the introduction of the VFL Zone system. The Zones were meant to be rotated over time so all clubs got use of the best zones but it never happened and we were stuck with some of the worse zones with minimal talent coming through.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 09:30:56 PM »

Apart from stupid decisions made by the Club's admin at the time, our downfall IMO was also in part due to us being screwed by the introduction of the VFL Zone system. The Zones were meant to be rotated over time so all clubs got use of the best zones but it never happened and we were stuck with some of the worse zones with minimal talent coming through.

I do remember this well.  I was playing juniors in the zone, and it was not a competition for strong talls.  There was a plethora of running midfielders such as myself, and I think one of the bigger blokes in the comp was none other than D Kellaway, who used to play CHB/CHF switching on the ball.  That should give you a flavour of the competition.  Most of the good blokes ended up playing VFA that I went through juniors with. 

I gave it away after U/19s in the VAFA.  At that time, Richmond was not interested in myself and guys my size, as they had the likes of Knights, Free coming through.  Bit of a shame really.  I should have kept playing ammos in hindsight.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 04:18:55 AM »
GR made one final plea to get Raines to return:

TIGERS, RAINES IN NEW TALKS

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Thursday, April 7, 1983

RICHMOND vice-president Graeme Richmond has made a personal plea for triple club best and fairest winner Geoff Raines to return to Punt Rd.

Mr Richmond visited Raines at his home over Easter and further talks are planned.

The initial discussions were amicable, but Raines would not commit himself to return.   

Mr Richmond said last night: "Further  discussions will take place with his legal people in the next few days.
­
"The door at Richmond is always open to Geoff to come and to talk to us. Richmond has been good to Geoff and Geoff has been good  to Richmond.

"I have been one of his greatest admirers. I am pleased his groin injury is improving."

Although not overconfident, Mr Richmond said: "I hope it comes to the stage when he will be pleased to resume with us."

It is believed that Richmond is prepared to have another look at Raines' clearance at the end of this season if he returns to Punt Rd.

Raines, 26, resigned from the club at the end of last year and has taken legal action to try to win a clearance.

He won the club's best and fairest award in 1978-80 and 1981 and played in the 1980 premiership side.

He first played in 1976 and has been one of the league's most exciting centreline players since his debut.

Raines refused to comment last night.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 04:20:47 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2006, 04:22:21 AM »
PIES TRIO FOR RAINES ... plus $200,000

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Thursday, April 14, 1983      

SELF-EXILED Richmond champion centreman Geoff Raines is expected to be cleared to Collingwood late today for about $200,000 and three players.   

And the Magpies probably will name Raines in the Reserves side for Saturday's match against Essendon at Windy Hill.

Raines has trained on his own since he walked out on Richmond ­and the Magpies match committee believe he is fit enough to ­play with the Reserves even if it is off the interchange bench.

Yesterday senior Richmond and Collingwood officials met Raines at the South Yarra office of his legal adviser Isaac Apel.

The meeting lasted about 3 1/2 hours before it was adjourned until today.

Richmond and Collingwood have not yet agreed on the final terms, but barring any late hitch it will be sorted out today.

Collingwood yesterday gave Richmond permission to interview rover Wally Lovett and defenders Neil Peart and Terry Domburg.

Peart and Lovett met Tiger officials yesterday afternoon and signed with the club.

However, Domburg could not be reached because he now lives at Portland. He has not trained with the club since last season.

Peart, 24, has played 14 senior games with Collingwood.

He said last night: "It suits me down to the ground. It gives me an opportunity to play in a position I should have played at Collingwood.

"I hope to be a regular senior player in the backline with Richmond."

Lovett, 21, was unavailable for comment last night. He played 15 matches with the Magpies.

Domburg, 22, played 13 matches.

The first contact between Collingwood and Richmond came early yesterday morning.

But negotiations did not begin until after an appearance in court at 2.30pm yesterday. Legal advisers appeared as a procedure matter when Raines tried to get a fixed date for the hearing.

He has taken legal action against Richmond, alleging he has no contract and there is a restraint of trade on him as a professional footballer.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 04:23:52 AM »
NEW PIE RAINES - "FIT AGAIN"

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Friday, April 15, 1983

GEOFF Raines groin injury has finally been last to rest.

Yes, he has had a badly strained groin.

And, yes, Collingwood did put him through a medical check yesterday before his clearance was finally signed by the Magpies and Richmond.

As Raines said last night after his first training run under his new coach John Cahill at Victoria Park:"It was a bad injury, but I have rested it for six months. I haven't tested it yet.

"But hopefully, the rest did it the world of good."

Raines was cleared to Collingwood for an undisclosed figure believed to be about $200,000 and three players - Neil Peart, Wally Lovett and Terry Domburg.

The clearance hinged on Lovett. Richmond asked for the three, particularly Lovett, who the Tigers were interested in about a year ago.

Collingwood did not want to let Lovett and Peart go, but the administration weighed up the argument and reluctantly cleared them. They trained with the Tigers last night and were picked in the Reserves.

A brief statement authorised by Richmond president Ian Wilson and Collingwood chairman Ranald Macdonald ended Raines' career at Punt Rd. Both parties agreed to make no further com­ment.

Collingwood has now spent well over $1 million the buying best players avail­able in Melbourne and Australia, but the purse still has not been slammed shut.

The Magpies are still hopeful of getting Paul Morwood to Victoria Park.

Raines, 26, has no chip on his shoulder towards his old club. "Richmond was very good to me. I have no beef towards the club. I needed a change, a change is good for me for the future and it is the decision I've made," he said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2006, 04:26:19 AM »