Author Topic: Jake King [merged]  (Read 107179 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Jake King [merged]
« Reply #510 on: December 18, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
grigg on the bench? he was in the top handful of wingers in the comp this year

U r dreaming

She was also unwilling to get her own ball
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #511 on: December 18, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
WGAF big hard man mrakov

the claw

« Reply #512 on: December 18, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
From who?

I would think from a choice of Knights, Edwards, Nahas, Petterd, Helbig, Arnott, O'Hanlon, Lonergan..

King is a fairly limited player. He'll need to kick goals to keep his spot in the seniors. Good thing.

You've only named 1 small forward there, not convinced hell be competing against most of those blokes
hmm imo
sml forwards on the list

robbie nahas -  is capabl;e of providing run thru the middle but little else. his issues are well documented and they drive me crazy. he has kicked some goals but the lack of class polish footskills and shocking size just has me shake my head.  if i was a recruiting manager there is no way i would even consider puting this bloke on my list.

jake king - primarily a defensive forward. would much prefer a player who has better skills better impact on the scoreboard who can provide some defensive pressure. a lot easier to bring out defensive qualities than teach skills and goal sense. jake really is a vfl standard player who performs a role  and gets the utmost out of himself. the most limited of all our sml forwards.

shane edwards - at 182 hes technically a borderline medium sized player but the way he plays and his frame and size which is still pretty poor hes a small. of the three senior smalls hes by far the better player. he has some serious weaknesses in his game always has. challenge for this bloke is to find consistent good form and follow oon from the last 12 14 or so games from last yr.the gap between good and bad really needs to continue to narrow.

mathew mcdonough - the most skilled small forward we have.  yes i know people think hes a mid and he may well become one but atm hes primarily a forward. they say a likeness to chapman well lets hope so.

gideon simon - like most i know little about him seems hes very quick very agile and will probably start his career as a sml forward working his way into the midfield.

imo unless these blokes can become primarily mids who spend time forward  we can only afford to  play one maybe two on game day. we cannot stuff rotations around so much.

medium sized forwards

chris knights - imo hes more a mid and because of injury has been forced to spend a lot of time forward.  i really hope he becomes primarily a mid for us who can rotate forward.  time and injuries will tell us which role he will primarily fullfill.

aaron edwards - i reckon this bloke has performed pretty well yes hes had the odd off field issue and yes hes 29 next yr. yes hes played his whole career as a med forward and hes had consistency issues.
a genuine medium forward who is excellent on the lead and takes a bloody good grab. he also is physical crashes packs and punches out of his division. he gives us an opportunity to actually change things down if you like. or if we go with three midgets change things up.

riicky ptterd - imo hes a talented player but hes done little as agoal kicker and is limited in what roles he can do.in fact his overall performances in 6yrs of afl footy is pretty poor.  hes had his fair share of injury recently and we could do with another medium sized forward on the list.

brett ohanlon - not sure about this kid clearly he was not ready for afl this yur and has a lot of develpment work to do.

dustin martin - well hes primarily a mid who plays forward with great effect. reckon he will continue to  spend significant time forward  until he can build an engine  that may take longer than people think it may not.

we are lucky in the fact we have medium sized mids who are very effective as forwards, deledio martin cotchin and conca who was very good when played forward as a junior. add knights to the mix. thats one of three flanks/pockets gone.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #513 on: December 19, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »
After much deliberation:

Bachelor. Grimes. Chaplin.
Conca. Rance. Ellis.
S.Edwards. Morris. Knights.
Griffiths. Deledio. Cotchin.
Martin. Riewoldt. Vickery.
Maric. Tuck. Foley.

Vlastuin. Grigg. Newman.

Houli.

I maintain to analysis the side it is not immediately clear where king fits in. If you look at the other players excluded there will be some gunning to go past king.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #514 on: December 19, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »
King+Toughness=Hardwick likes...game over, he will be in the team.. :thumbsup

No doubt Dimma likes the King prototype but he's looking to upgrade it just the same.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #515 on: December 19, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »

No doubt Dimma likes the King prototype but he's looking to upgrade it just the same.

Eg Vlaustuin ??
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #516 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »

Eg Vlaustuin ??

Yup. Clearly likes footballers who have a tenacious attitude first and foremost.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #517 on: December 19, 2012, 07:25:29 PM »
King ready to roar after his 'worst year'
By Jennifer Witham
afl.com.au
3:43pm AEDT Sunday, December 16, 2012

THIS YEAR, Jake King became very well acquainted with his couch.

More often than not, the Richmond forward was confined to it the day after the Tigers played, nursing at least one part of his body.

The 28-year-old played 12 games, nine of them on Saturday, so his couch and comfy clothes received regular attention.

The list of injuries seemed endless for the livewire goal-kicker. Knee, wrist, thumb, cheekbone, knee again, foot, adductor. And they were just the actual injuries – not the regular bumps and bruises footballers are subjected to.

"It was the worst year I've had," King told AFL.com.au.

"Sunday mornings pretty much involved moccasins, tracksuit pants and just lying on the couch. It was horrible."

The fact King played 12 matches is a testament to his toughness, given his problems started in the Tigers' second game for the season and accumulated as the season progressed.

First was the posterior cruciate ligament he injured in round two against Collingwood. It needed surgery, as it was notably unstable, but the decision was made to strap it and see how it would go.

"We had some scans on it and the 'docs' pretty much said if we pull the pin now and get the operation done, you'll be right at the end of the season," King said.

"Otherwise we can just see what happens and try and strengthen up the quad.

"We did, and that got it down to a minimal amount of movement, but it was still pretty bad so the only option left was to tape it up."

He missed three games and returned, strapped and bandaged, to play against Port Adelaide in round six.

It was this game he broke a bone in his wrist in. But, in King fashion, he lined up again the following week against the Sydney Swans.

Lightning struck again, and he broke his left thumb and snapped some ligaments. It was the second injury he'd pick up that would require surgery at the end of the season.

In round 12 against Greater Western Sydney, King added a fractured cheekbone to his list of ailments.

He had a week off courtesy of the bye, and then fronted up to play Adelaide in round 14 at AAMI Stadium.

At this stage, King was playing with his left knee, left thumb and right wrist encased in strapping tape, and with what was likely a pretty sore face.

To make matters worse, it was this contest in which he picked up the second injury to his left knee – a medial ligament strain, which was initially forecast to cost him six to eight weeks.

He missed four. He came back against Carlton in round 18, and got through the next three rounds without adding to his battery of injuries.

Then in round 21 against Fremantle, he fractured a bone in his toe about 10 minutes into the second quarter. He finished the game, but it was season over, and the operations (note the plural reference) began two days later.

"The first operation was on my foot where I had pins put in. They did the thumb at the same time," King said.

"I had my foot in a moon boot, my hand in plaster, and then two weeks later they did the operation on the knee, so my knee was in a brace. Then the groin operation was done at the same time.

"The only thing that was not touched was my right hand and I had to try and get around and hobble with crutches, which was nearly impossible.

"It was a horrible six weeks."

King ended up having a second operation on his foot in October, to remove the pins, while the bone that was broken after the injury failed to mend.

He had to cancel his planned holiday to Bali, and instead spent time on his mate's houseboat in Mildura after the club gave him an extra week off to help his body heal.

Since then, it's been all positive. The medical staff are keeping a close eye on his knee and hamstring (where tendon was harvested to fix the PCL), and he's essentially dipped in ice after each training session.

But things are ahead of where they're supposed to be.

"I ran on Wednesday and I've been running on the AlterG [anti-gravity] treadmill, and I got out of that and got to run on the track. It's about a month ahead of schedule," he said.

"I'm hoping to play a few of the NAB Cup games and get my fitness up and get ready for round one. That's providing everything goes well and there's no setbacks but I should get a couple of games there."

King is out of contract at the end of next season and is comfortable with the idea negotiations will likely wait until his body proves it is over its year from hell.

Still, after six years of playing for the Tigers, the former rookie says he can't remember a time where there's been more excitement about the club.

The recent recruiting spree secured the services of six experienced AFL players – plus five talented 18-year-olds – and Trent Cotchin has stepped in as captain.   

"It's actually really exciting. Drafting those older mature boys we got, when they rocked up to the club it gave the boys a boost because it added a lot of depth," King said.

"It also puts a lot of pressure on the guys up above. When you've got the guys below putting pressure on, the guys above seem to perform a lot better.

"Then the team will perform a lot better, which leads to winning more games.

"It's a good feeling amongst the boys at the moment and everyone is quite enjoying the pre-season for a change."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-16/king

So, not only do they play players with injuries, but they actually brag about it on their website.
Let's hope Kingy doesn't decide to sue the club in a few years for failing to provide a "Duty of Care" because that article would half prove his case.

Went looking for someting official and found the following article from the AFL about Risk Management.
http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Manage_Your_Club/3._Club_Management_Program/Risk_Management.pdf

"Negligence is part of the law of torts and consists of falling below the standard of care required in the
circumstances to protect others from the unreasonable risk of harm. It does not require an intention to actually cause
harm or damage, and while sporting injuries generally do not come about as a result of a desire to injure, they can
involve a careless disregard for another’s safety, so negligence can be an appropriate action for a damages claim.

If the injured party is to be successful with a negligence claim, the following elements must be established:
• Duty of care: this is a duty owed by one party (the defendant) to another (the plaintiff). You must take reasonable
care to avoid acts or omissions that you can reasonably foresee would be likely to injure.
• Breach of duty: the standard of care: the plaintiff has to show that the defendant has breached a duty to him/her
by falling below the reasonable standard of care.
• Causation: the plaintiff must show that the defendant’s breach of duty of care caused the injury that he/she is
complaining about.
• Remoteness of damage: the plaintiff must show that the injury he/she suffered which was caused by the
defendant was reasonably foreseeable."

I also think Jack (and his manager) may be starting to realise that playing injured and having multiple operations each off season may shorten his career by a few years and cost him millions.

tony_montana

« Reply #518 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »
even worse to be doing it when we have no chance of making finals...

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #519 on: December 19, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
After much deliberation:

Phew, almost 24 whole hours had elapsed since you last posted your best 22, I was getting worried there for a moment... and I'm glad you put some thought into this one.  :P
I agree with your side, as usual, but I have noticed during the offseason you have not been naming Jackson in your teams. Surely you realise that Jackson is in the leadership group and therefore guaranteed a game. You need to factor him into your teams Bents. He will be playing.

And to steer this back to topic- Bents' team does show exactly how hard it is going to be for King this year, but I wish him all the best, if anyone can continue to defy the odds then it's him, Go Kingy :bow

Ox

« Reply #520 on: December 20, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »
all any club would need to produce to refute the claim would be medical documentation that the player was at that stage able to engage in the game without any foreseeable damage occurring in the future that could be directly relatable to the decision(s) made by both PLAYER and club at the time

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #521 on: December 20, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
Blah blah blah
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #522 on: December 20, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
all any club would need to produce to refute the claim would be medical documentation that the player was at that stage able to engage in the game without any foreseeable damage occurring in the future that could be directly relatable to the decision(s) made by both PLAYER and club at the time

Bingo

That's what they do, they take the approach "to play him wont cause any further damage so...."  :whistle :whistle

Also in Jake's case he told them he wanted to keep playing and he was good to go
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #523 on: December 21, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.  :whistle

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #524 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
"Teamwork bridges AFL fitness, health divide"

Jon Pierik
Published: January 22, 2013 - 3:00AM

AFL Sports Science Association boss Rob Aughey says isolated problems between fitness and conditioning personnel and club doctors have been resolved and he does not expect any trouble this season.
League chief executive Andrew Demetriou last season threatened clubs with heavy fines if it was proven medical staff had been overruled on player health issues by what he cheekily claimed were ''phys-edders''.

This problem was confirmed in an AFL Medical Officers Association survey, which found seven of 14 clubs said ''non-medically qualified personnel exerted undue influence on medical decision making''.
Six also said this had ''adversely affected medical decisions''.

Aughey said Demetriou's comments had been aimed broadly and not just at sports science and fitness staff.
''There were some underlying issues in terms of how sports science and medical and physio staff all worked together, nothing really serious,'' he said.
''[There were] some isolated instances which have been resolved. I think it stemmed from that.
''There was also a concern there were not enough doctors actually wanting to work in the AFL.
''Hence, a statement like that, gives some support to doctors indirectly so they feel more comfortable in the sport.''

The report found there was a shortage of suitably qualified medical officers and there had been multiple cases of AFL doctors leaving clubs.
The AFL was also concerned that sports scientists had too much influence on issues such as NAB Cup procedures, the debate over the interchange bench and when players returned from injury, the latter opening the threat of legal action should the wrong decision be made. The issue had also been raised by AFL Medical Officers Association chief Hugh Seward and senior AFL medico Harry Unglik.

Aughey, who is also a sports scientist with the Western Bulldogs, said the AFL Sports Science Association had since worked together with the medical officers and the physiotherapists association on a ''best practice'' model.
''That was done incredibly collegially, there was no angst or malice or anything. The three groups worked together really, really well,'' he said.
''It [best practice] is not something binding that comes into effect. Again, really there is not a problem out there. I don't think any of the organisations have felt the need to change so much.
''There were some isolated instances, they had largely been dealt with by then [at the time of Demetriou's comments].
''As I say, it wasn't anywhere near as big an issue that was made out.''

The fledgling Sports Science Association, still finalising its governance, plans to hold its next major meeting during the pre-season competition.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/teamwork-bridges-afl-fitness-health-divide-20130121-2d36b.html

Dunno whether it's been posted before but I find that figure of 50% reporting undue influence and almost as many saying it had a bad effect on medical decisions amazing.
So six of 14 club medico's said that their medical decisions were adversely affected.
Yep, no problems with a claim if you're one of those six clubs.  :banghead