Author Topic: Brendan McCarthy  (Read 6208 times)

Moi

Brendan McCarthy
« on: December 28, 2006, 01:47:57 AM »
Think that's his name.
Giesch appointed him 2nds coach when he took over from Walls.
Didn't have an AFL CV - I think he coached around the Warrnambool leagues, or thereabouts.
Does anyone know what impact he had at the club?  Was he a good mentor for the kids coming through at that time?
Just wanna hear more about his involvement at the club, because his appointment was out of left field.  Not going for someone who was in the system was a big move for someone like Giesch who was a virtual unknown himself.

Anyone?

Jackstar

Re: Brendan McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 07:53:53 AM »
Has been Bomber Thompson right hand man at the cats for years, I think he got the chop. by memory, will find out if you want.

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:40 AM »
Forgot to say, its McCartney ;)

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »
There is a Brendan Mccarthy around,he is a racehorse trainer at Caulfield. ;)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »
Don't know about his impact at the club but there's some info about him on the GFC site.
Coached 4 premierships in a row in the Bellarine league immediately before his 2 years at Richmond.
Looks as though he still might be at the Cats in 2007.

http://gfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=coaches&spg=assistcoachprofile&personid=13862
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Moi

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:45:50 AM »
I just wanted to know what he was like, whether his appointment was a good thing or not, becasue you don't normally hear of someone being picked up with totally no AFL experience at all. 

Bulluss

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
I used to go and watch the reserves pretty much everyweek when they used to play before the seniors.

During the time that he was coaching our two's most of our games were played at Punt Road and listening to his qtr and 3 qtr time talks, he certainly knows his stuff.

Very well spoken coach and had a good bond with the players. They really respected him and worked hard for him.

I would say he had a good effect on the place, but things may have been different behind the scenes.

Moi

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:12 AM »
I used to go and watch the reserves pretty much everyweek when they used to play before the seniors.

During the time that he was coaching our two's most of our games were played at Punt Road and listening to his qtr and 3 qtr time talks, he certainly knows his stuff.

Very well spoken coach and had a good bond with the players. They really respected him and worked hard for him.

I would say he had a good effect on the place, but things may have been different behind the scenes.
but things may have been different behind the scenes.
Thanks Bullly.  We won a ressies grand final around about that time, was he the coach?
I wasn't looking for any negatives - just more about him becasue I thought at the time it was great for a person like him to beat other more high profile people for the job.  But I still know little about him, hence asking.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »
I understand that he was rated a fantastic teacher.  Great with the younger players.

The admin side of the club felt it was great loss when he moved on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
We won the ressies premiership in 97. I could be wrong by I thought Geisch coached the ressies through the finals even
though he was caretaker seniors coach. One of the things that got him the seniors job full-time (?).

McCartney was Ocean Grove coach prior to coming to Richmond:
The Grubbers' history of brilliance in preliminary finals and grand finals is relatively recent. Until 1993, when the club reached its first grand final, it was renowned for rolling over in September.

In 1997, the Grubbers snuffed out Anglesea in driving rain with superior application and tactical nous. The victory sealed the Grubbers' fourth consecutive flag under coach Brendan McCartney, who left to join the match committee at Richmond before moving on to Geelong. Ocean Grove insiders regard McCartney as the main figure behind the club's rise from mediocrity.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/13/1063341809812.html?from=storyrhs
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »
We won the ressies premiership in 97. I could be wrong by I thought Geisch coached the ressies through the finals even
though he was caretaker seniors coach. One of the things that got him the seniors job full-time (?).

McCartney was Ocean Grove coach prior to coming to Richmond:
The Grubbers' history of brilliance in preliminary finals and grand finals is relatively recent. Until 1993, when the club reached its first grand final, it was renowned for rolling over in September.

In 1997, the Grubbers snuffed out Anglesea in driving rain with superior application and tactical nous. The victory sealed the Grubbers' fourth consecutive flag under coach Brendan McCartney, who left to join the match committee at Richmond before moving on to Geelong. Ocean Grove insiders regard McCartney as the main figure behind the club's rise from mediocrity.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/13/1063341809812.html?from=storyrhs
Good memory, MT.  That's right  :thumbsup  Probably the only senior coach to coach a ressies final.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 07:10:44 PM »
The 98 squad with Geisch, McCartney and new Saints coach Ross Lyon.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »
Bet you can't name them lol

Jackstar

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »
Ross lyon sitting next to the Geisch

Jackstar

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »
David Bourke loooks big and strong, doesnt he  ::)
Ben (Scooter) Moore second left , front row, I actually could name them all ;)