Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 215854 times)

Tigermonk

Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1110 on: June 20, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

IMO Cousins will retire end 2011 managed correctly & injury free. 2012 would be a bonus at any capacity around this playing group

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1111 on: June 21, 2010, 03:25:51 AM »
Ben Cousins forces Tigers rethink
Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
June 21, 2010

SHANE Tuck had already saved his career before his two centre-square clearances that dragged Richmond across the line against the Brisbane Lions.

Eleven straight games averaging 27 possessions have made him close to undroppable, but he sealed the deal on Saturday night.

In coach Damien Hardwick's own words, the Tigers were "out on their feet" before Tuck's last-term intervention wrested the momentum back Richmond's way.

Now with Hardwick learning to love Tuck despite all his rough edges, the question is whether he will extend the same lifeline to Ben Cousins.

Cousins circa 2010 is not the same gut-running endurance animal who won the 2005 Brownlow Medal, but the 31-year-old was still exceptional against the Lions.

He has lost his pace and some of his kicking penetration, but his 27 possessions were invaluable.

Ten weeks ago his injury concerns and role in the Daniel Connors incident were in the limelight. He was a dead man walking.

He used his appearance on Foxtel's On The Couch on May 11 to plead for another season, but his papers had already been stamped.

With Cousins not performing on the park, there was simply no point in keeping him. Now after five consecutive games of increasing quality, that answer is no longer so definitive.

Cousins has plenty in his favour. His form warrants a spot in Richmond's side.

He is clearly loved by his teammates, who say they learn something from him every time he opens his mouth.

He can play a role in this improving Richmond side without taking away from the development of Dustin Martin, Ben Nason and Andrew Collins.

But the negatives are all about his baggage.

Cousins has a tell-all book set to be released at season's end that will chart his highs but also plenty of his lows.

The content - still being scrutinised by lawyers - is said to be incendiary. His long-awaited DVD is also in the works and nearing completion.

Richmond is not prepared to go through another media firestorm for a player who will not play in its next premiership.

Cousins himself is saying all the right things, joking in a post-match interview he was nearly spent anyway.

"I am hanging on for dear life," he said. "We are just starting to turn the corner. We are taking the first few baby steps and they are beautiful.

"It's always going to take a little while to implement the game plan 'Dimma' (Hardwick) has been trying to work with over the summer and we probably took a few steps back to go forward."

Ten more weeks like the past couple, and Cousins will make the decision for Hardwick.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-forces-tigers-rethink/story-e6frf9jf-1225882031257

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #1112 on: June 21, 2010, 04:33:43 AM »
The title of the article should be "Ben Cousins forces media rethink" .
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1113 on: June 21, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
:thumbsup
too true
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #1114 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:04 AM »
Gee, he's a survivor, Cuzzy. Once again the AFL's bad boy looks to be mounting a resurrection just when people thought he was on the way out. While it's not the same Benny from his West Coast days, he can still influence games, as he showed on Saturday night with a classy 27 touches against the Lions. He says he wants to go on next year .. we're jumping on that bandwagon.

Scot Gullan.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1115 on: June 23, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »
This was posted on Tiger-Talk a couple of days ago, thought it might be of some interest:

Just as a side-note, I caught up with a mate of Cousins' last week and we discussed the case to keep him on. His comments worth passing on were that the change in the past few months has been remarkable as they have removed all the legacies of the previous eras, the team is really well-knit with the exception of a couple of players (one of whom has just retired) and that Cousins really wants to stay on as he thinks the journey is headed to exciting places.

The players hang on every word he says and pick up something every game.

He's not the player he was, but in a compromised draft, with a few other players sure to go, he is still adding plenty of value. It's virtually a playing assistant coach role he has, if he can keep his on-field performances to solid without necessarily starring, I'm all for keeping him on.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/93396

Ox

« Reply #1116 on: June 23, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
lmao @ catching up with a mate of cousins and then writing a gossip bit..

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1117 on: June 23, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
is someone jealous?

Ox

« Reply #1118 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »
is someone jealous?

wats wrong little chubby fisherman?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1119 on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
is someone jealous?

wats wrong little chubby fisherman?

he is happy bopping away to roxus

Ox

« Reply #1120 on: June 23, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
good for you little fella :clapping

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1121 on: June 23, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
 :rollin :rollin ;D ;D :rollin :rollin

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1122 on: June 23, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
Tigers consider Cousins for 2011
ROBERT GRANT
June 23, 2010 - 4:09PM

Richmond admit they have been impressed by veteran midfielder Ben Cousins and say he could line up with the Tigers again next season.

Coach Damien Hardwick says the AFL club will discuss Cousins' position later this year but acknowledges the strong possibility he could play on.

"That ball's entirely in Ben's court," Hardwick said on Wednesday.

"As you can see his last three to four weeks have been very, very good.

"He was probably pretty slow at the start. I reckon his first five or six rounds weren't great but he did have an interrupted pre-season.

"We'll make a decision towards the end of the year. That will be a list management decision but he's doing all he can to propel himself forward."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-consider-cousins-for-2011-20100623-yyh9.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1123 on: June 23, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
;D

Cuz has been running around like a 10 year old after our wins. Running up to teammates all jolly, laughing with a big smile in his face. Just all happy for the young cubs. It seems like a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders and he's just loving playing footy. It still won't surprise me if he hangs up his boots at the end of year and go out on a high (excuse the bad pun) in this current form. But if he keeps playing like this for the rest of the season he would deserve another year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1124 on: June 24, 2010, 10:38:39 AM »
Enjoy it while it lasts. Still think this is his last season.