Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 217289 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #495 on: December 30, 2008, 11:04:39 PM »
A totally different sport but Texas Rangers' Josh Hamilton made it back from drug addition and a subsequent 2 year suspension (he failed 4 drug tests and made eight trips to rehab). So much so he finished top 10 in the MLB's American league in 2008 for batting, made the All-star game, and has been clean for 3 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Hamilton_(baseball)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #496 on: January 01, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »
A cool pic by deliberate on BF of a Tiger with his paw around Benny.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13367815&postcount=1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #497 on: January 03, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
2009 looms as year of comeback
Nicole Jeffery | January 03, 2009  | The Australian

Can Ben Cousins resurrect his AFL career?

Australian sport's best-known drug addict was handed a lifeline by the Richmond club last month, just when it appeared that his attempt to revive his football career would founder through lack of interest.

Collingwood, St Kilda and Brisbane looked closely at the former Brownlow medallist and West Coast premiership player, but ultimately decided that the risk outweighed the likely reward from a 30-year-old with dodgy hamstrings, murky underworld connections and a history of drug addiction, and who had been out of the game for more than a year.

If Cousins, once one of the finest players to pull on a boot, can return to a semblance of his best form, the struggling Richmond Tigers stand to gain enormously on the field.

Cousins declared last month: "I feel more confident now than I ever have that I can contribute both on and off the field and lead a normal lifestyle whilst trying to get the best out of myself without using drugs."

If he succeeds it will be a remarkable story of redemption. If he fails, the fallout could be enormous for Cousins, Richmond and the AFL.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24866456-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #498 on: January 03, 2009, 01:32:59 AM »
Bomber fans are still arguing with each other over them missing out on Cousins. One even posted this pic ....

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41935&st=1545

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #499 on: January 03, 2009, 04:21:54 AM »
 :rollin @ 105 pages - they need help

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #500 on: January 03, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »
:rollin @ 105 pages - they need help

Your not wrong probably half of those pages are them hurling insults and abuse at each other

BTW awesome picture  :bow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #501 on: January 03, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
Saw this on BF. The ABC's 7.30 Report on Cousins just after we picked him up in the PSD. They talk about the inconsistency in the AFL's drug policy where there are anonymous AFL footballers on 2 strikes running around while Cousins is one strike away from a life ban.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3CQKiQMpI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #502 on: January 07, 2009, 01:28:09 AM »
Cousins has long way to go, say experts
Martin Boulton | January 7, 2009

RICHMOND fans are counting the days until round one, but if they're waiting to see Ben Cousins in full flight they might have to wait a while longer.

A day after coach Terry Wallace declared Cousins was four to six weeks behind the rest of the group, former Essendon high-performance coach John Quinn, who now runs his own fitness consultancy, said the ex-Eagle's "footy fitness" could take a further six to 12 weeks to peak.

"Ben Cousins would be fitter than 99 per cent of the population, but he's been out of the game for more than 12 months," Quinn told The Age.

"You can't be removed from the game for that long and then just come back in.

"If a track athlete retired for one year, people wouldn't expect that person to come back in and run at their normal level."

Quinn, who has watched Cousins' career closely, said the four-time best-and-fairest winner looked supremely fit, but needed to find his "tempo and rhythm" after such a long absence.

"It's one thing for him to be in the gym, then go for a 10-kilometre run the next day and a water session the day after, but it's a different thing to combine that with a skills session that might go for 45 minutes or two hours."

Another AFL fitness co-ordinator who preferred not to be named because of his affiliation with another club said there was no guarantee Cousins would return to his best. He said that even if Cousins did make his Richmond debut in round one, maintaining form and fitness during the season was a far greater challenge.

"It will be one of the great sporting achievements if he can come back and be anywhere near his best," the veteran fitness coach said.

"When you drop out of the competition for a year you lose that edge and it takes a while to get it back again … if you ever find it again.

"He's got to adjust to a different team and team structure, different coach, expectations, a different place to live — there's a lot of fatigue factors he has to manage.

"We like to think of sportsmen the way they were, so it's going to be a good story if it happens, a really good story of spirit and determination overcoming reality."

Cousins, who was sacked by West Coast and deregistered by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute, has declared himself "clean" after having admitted to a drug problem.

On Monday, after his first training session since the Christmas break, Cousins looked on as his new teammates completed a time trial around the Tan.

Wallace later said that his high-profile recruit was "a long way away from peak fitness" and the expectation was on Cousins to "step up" over the pre-season. In his only media conference since arriving at Punt Road the 30-year-old said he was "behind the eight ball" in terms of pre-season fitness, but confident he could compete at the elite level.

"I've put a lot of time and work into my body and I'm confident it's going to hold up," he said.

"There's no guarantees in football.

"I could get injured like anybody else (but) I'll train exceptionally hard, leave no stone unturned and what happens after that is left up to the gods."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-has-long-way-to-go/2009/01/06/1231004019912.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #503 on: January 07, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »
Nah kidding

:sleep :sleep :sleep

:rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #504 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:17 AM »
That's a bummer then, I had him lined up for a hat-trick of Brownlow's.

Ox

« Reply #505 on: January 07, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
LMAO @ People riding on the cousins wave by saying he's not ready.

eff i hate them.

Seriously,apart from the standard football cliches such as,'he needs to find his tempo"
wtf do they know ?

Some guys are natural footballers who,as much as people cannot admit it,could walk into the game nearly where they left it,so as for some idiot ive never heard of jumping on the wagon...... :wallywink

GO stuff  URSELF -Worry about ur own familiy's shortcomings wanker and stop trying to gain notoriety

LMAOOO™ ""If a track athlete retired for one year, people wouldn't expect that person to come back in and run at their normal level."
but by his own admission,Ben is still running fit although he's been away from the activity in question for a year ..........what a complete hole.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:20:09 PM by one-eyed »

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #506 on: January 07, 2009, 09:40:51 AM »
ROFL @ Ox trademarking LMAO. I better get a good lawyer.....

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #507 on: January 07, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »
ROFL @ Ox trademarking LMAO. I better get a good lawyer.....

LMAOOO is trademarked, that means LMAOO or LMAOOOO or any other variance thereof is fair game - LMAOOO anyway  :rollin

SUE ME  :whistle

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #508 on: January 07, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
So instead of a brilliant player we will have a competitive, serviceable player with solid disposal skills and big game experience. I can live with that. All those brownlow touting tossers are kidding themselves. I'm sure most of us haven't even wondered or cared if Cousins will be a brownlow contender this year.
Even in ordinary form Ben is a better player than a lot of other AFL players going around atm. He has already proven to be an asset to the club by increasing our exposure and memberships so as far as I am concerned, if we get 10 or 12 rounds out of him, we have snared a bargain.  :thumbsup

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #509 on: January 07, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »
Maybe if a few from bomberblitz wanted to see what may have been they could take a punt and pop into 1 of these.

Coburg Tigers Practice Match Schedule

Feb 20th / 22nd TBC Intra Club Victoria Park
Feb 28th 11.00am Collingwood  Gosch's Paddock
March 14th 11.10am & 2.00pm Williamstown  Whitten Oval
March 21st TBC Intra Club TBC
March 28th 11.10am & 2.00pm Northern Bullants Visy Park Carlton
April 5th 11.10am & 2.00pm  Casey Casey Fields

That's if he isn't playing NAB cup of course.  ;D

:gotigers in 09