Author Topic: What changes should we make this week?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What changes should we make this week?
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:36:54 AM »
What changes, if any, should we make this week for the Port Adelaide game?

Garry Lyon says we shouldn't make any:

Lyon: Play them all again
08 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Garry Lyon

IT DIDN'T matter who you were, where you were or what you were doing on Sunday afternoon, word of Geelong's mauling of Richmond would have found its way to you, Garry Lyon writes.

It was the sort of football moment that captured everyone's attention, whether you're immersed in the game or not.

When Aussie-born Hollywood star, Rachel Griffiths, starts cracking gags about the game in the middle of the Logies, you know there's something extraordinary unfolding.

The Tigers have far greater concerns than being the talk of a TV awards night, but it is symptomatic of the scrutiny and pressure that every person associated with the Richmond Football Club will be exposed to in coming days.

There will be nowhere to hide for the coach and his players. There are thumpings in that garner plenty of talk and analysis, but anyone who has spent time following football acknowledges it is just part of the game that every side is vulnerable to at some stage.

Beltings happen, but this is something altogether different -- 157-point hidings are rare.

So, what do you do? My immediate reaction would be to declare today that, injuries aside, there will be no change to the team for this week's game against Port Adelaide. Field the same team that now holds the inglorious honour of being part of Richmond's greatest ever losing margin.

I am a massive believer in the theory that you learn much, much more about your playing list the week after a humiliating day like Sunday than you do on the day itself.

Put the onus right back on the 22 players. Don't let them off the hook by dropping them back to Coburg where they can run around in front of 1000 people in relative anonymity.

Tell everyone up front that they will all play against the Power this weekend and then all and sundry can judge for themselves who responds in the most appropriate manner.

I would want to see who among the 22 has hurt the most. Who is the most desperate to restore some pride into the club. If I'm a Richmond fan, I want to see who has the fiercest competitive streak.

The best bit of advice my old coach Neil Balme gave me was "if you're not competitive in this game, you're nothing".

It is so simple, but so true. Our game is at once beautiful and skilful, while at the same time brutal and physical.

If you haven't got an appetite to compete, to hate losing every single contest you are involved in, then you will be swept aside.

Hawthorn's Luke Hodge is a fierce competitor. He's got mates like Campbell Brown, Sam Mitchell, Brad Sewell and Jordan Lewis. You can see it on their faces when they play. They do not want to be beaten. They get nasty and upset and angry when they do.

All great players from today and yesteryear share the same trait. In the modern game I would rate Brett Kirk, Daniel Kerr and Simon Black as three of the great competitors while Glenn Archer is a Hall of Famer. How would they respond if they were a party to Sunday's game? There is no doubt.

For Richmond, it is the question that needs to be answered. How many players possess, and in what size, a fierce competitive gene? We won't find out playing them for Coburg.

As a player I have lived plenty of weeks that the Richmond players have in front of them. There might be meetings, soul searching, leadership group initiatives that could be anything from a few beers at the pub to a brutally honest open forum where dirty linen is laid on the table.

We tried them all throughout my career. Sometimes they worked and other times they were done only because we thought we had to be seen to be doing something. On those occasions they were a waste of time.

With hindsight, the best time to address the humiliation of a result like Sunday's is when the ball is bounced for the following week's game. That's when I found out most about my teammates. That's where respect is won and lost.

Play every one of them again, Plough. By 6pm on Saturday you may have a much clearer picture of the qualities of the men at your disposal.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21689764%255E19742,00.html

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: What changes should we make this week?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:17:43 AM »
I don't have a lot of good things to say about the Author of the above article, but this time I think he's right. Play them all again Plough and let them know the whole country is watching and will know for sure by the end just what sort of characters each and everyone of you are.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
My vote is for what MT (I think?) said in a previous thread.

In: Coburg
Out: Richmond
 :yep
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »
apart from the injured bloke play them again

bring in KK for jay, kets debut jack at the dreamtime game i say

bring in polo for blingers if he is injured and patto for snake

tell all of them they are in teh gun, playing for their futures , lets see how many of those boys want to become men!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
not sure who played on mackay, whetehr it was petts or meyer, but whovever it was on him should be dropped, mackey played back pocket and kicked 4 goals, bloody hell, where is our forward lines defensive side/pressure

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
In: Polo, Riewoldt and Edwards
Out anyone whose Injured, just anyone lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 12:52:18 PM »
who cares who they play there tankers anyway

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 03:44:54 PM »
SEN just replayed the bit from the press conference where up to a 1/3 of the team may be change. Wallace said there has to be changes are "efforts" like that can't be tolerated.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 05:04:43 PM »
Bring Jack Riewoldt in please....i need him in to start earning some supercoach points for me thanks Wallet :P

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
Riewoldt in for Schulz
Polo in for Tambling
Patto in for Simmonds. There's others ahead of Patto but without him Richo, Polak and Tuck will need to combine in the ruck  :-\.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »
Riewoldt in for Schulz
Polo in for Tambling
Patto in for Simmonds. There's others ahead of Patto but without him Richo, Polak and Tuck will need to combine in the ruck  :-\.

I agree with you there MT...but i shudder at the thought of patto back...im not his biggest fan,i think he lacks a lot of football smarts....would like to see edwards back too

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »
I reckon there will be at least 6 changes

Out: Simmonds, Schulz, Tambling (all inj), Hyde, Tuck, Jackson

In: Polo, Krak, Reiwoldt, Pattison, Thursfield (don't think he's ready for the rigours of AFL just yet but hey we need to do something), Edwards

Just missing out Connors - mongrel we need some mongrel
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
Out: Simmonds, Tambling, Schulz, Deledio, Jackson, King (Meyer and Hyde lucky)
In: Kingsley, Polo, Tivendale, Pattison, Krakouer, Connors

EMG: Riewoldt, Edwards, Casserley
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 10:24:08 PM »
Riewoldt in for Schulz
Polo in for Tambling

I agree with you there MT...but i shudder at the thought of patto back...im not his biggest fan,i think he lacks a lot of football smarts....would like to see edwards back too
Completely forgot about Edwards. He's a South Aussie as well. Bring him in for one of Moore, Jacko or Hyde.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Patto, Krak and Tivs in contention this week
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:19:52 AM »
In contention for selection are Adam Pattison, Andrew Krakouer and Greg Tivendale. Those potentially in peril of losing their spots include Shane Tuck, Chris Hyde and Kayne Pettifer.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/wallace-to-change-team/2007/05/08/1178390303128.html