Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 401652 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2460 on: September 15, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »
So glad he has made this call.

adds to his legend status of this football club.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2461 on: September 15, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »
RIEWOLDT EXPLAINS WHY THE TIMING IS RIGHT FOR COTCHIN TO RELINQUISH TIGERS CAPTAINCY

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
15 September 2021

Trent Cotchin announced his decision to step down as Richmond captain on Tuesday.

Cotchin, 31, bows out of the role as the club’s longest serving and most successful skipper having served for nine seasons including three premierships.

Vice-captain Jack Riewoldt was full of praise for the way Cotchin was at the head of a seismic shift in the culture and performance of the club after some lean years in his earlier days as skipper.

He also explains why the timing is right for Cotchin to move aside.

“It’s a long time as captain and can be credited with the shift of the whole football club, along with the coach Damien Hardwick,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“Arguably the greatest captain of Richmond of all-time, probably just behind Captain Blood Jack Dyer.

“Just did everything right. We don’t lose him as a player, he’s going to play on next year which is super exciting. The door opens for someone else to come in and fill what are really big shoes.

“The timing is great for the fact that there’s a few of the older crew who are going to be around for maybe one, two or three more years that can help the next person through, so it’s not going to be thrown to the wolves.

“We’ve got a lot of blokes to come in and pick up that role. I’m just excited to see who the boys think the next captain is going to be.”

Riewoldt says Cotchin had made the decision to step down recently before informing the playing group on Tuesday.

“He let the main group know today (Tuesday), but the more senior players have known for a week or so that was going to be the case,” he added.

“It’s a sad moment but also a big moment in terms of the step forward for our club. Whilst he’ll lose the captain logo next to his name, he’ll still lead from the front.

“It may free him to become a bit of a different leader in different areas of the football club which we’re excited about.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/14/riewoldt-explains-why-the-timing-is-right-for-cotchin-to-relinquish/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2462 on: September 17, 2021, 01:28:14 PM »
3 x Premiership Captain + Brownlow

Dick Reynolds

Syd Coventry

Michael Voss

Trent Cotchin 

https://twitter.com/_tigertime/status/1438620529900982307

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2463 on: November 02, 2021, 05:50:46 PM »
Now that Jeep is no longer our sponsor why not get a matching his & hers Mercedes  ;D.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/blkcotchin/2697240503629790094/?hl=en

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL flag fire reignited in Tigers' Cotchin (AAP)
« Reply #2464 on: December 06, 2021, 02:11:34 PM »
AFL flag fire reignited in Tigers' Cotchin

Shayne Hope
AAP
6 December 2021

The unusual experience of watching an AFL finals series from his couch has "reignited the fire" in Trent Cotchin before his 15th season at Richmond.

The Tigers' triple-premiership captain announced he would stand down from the leadership role in September, around the same time he witnessed Melbourne storm to a drought-breaking flag.

Cotchin went through the same experience in 2017 as the Tigers broke through for the first of three premierships in four years, before sliding to 12th last season.

"Watching finals this year was weird because I'm not a huge watcher of footy, but the finals series definitely was something that I tuned into," Cotchin said before returning to pre-season training at Punt Road on Monday.

"For me personally, the fire in the belly really reignited through that time and kick-started my off-season in a really positive way.

"Our young guys have been at it and really going great guns, so I'm really excited about what the pre-season is going to bring and also leading into round one next year."

Richmond struggled to cope with the weight of injuries last season, winning just two of their last 10 matches.

The poor run of results came as premiership stars Dustin Martin, Dion Prestia, Nick Vlastuin, Bachar Houli, Kane Lambert, Noah Balta and David Astbury all missed significant chunks of football.

But Cotchin is adamant the Tigers can get fit and fire again next year.

"If we reflect truly on last season, we probably weren't up to the standard," Cotchin said.

"If you look at the teams that ended up playing in the grand final, the quality of footy that they played throughout the whole season was brilliant.

"That's the level that we want to get back to."

Cotchin was Richmond's longest-serving captain but doesn't expect to have a huge say in who his successor will be.

The playing group will have some input via a vote early next year with Martin, Vlastuin, Jack Riewoldt, Dylan Grimes and Jack Graham all in the mix.

The handover will free Cotchin up to focus more on himself for the first time in a decade.

"I'm really excited about what it looks like for me personally, but also what it looks like for the footy club," he said.

"There's going to be someone else who takes up that role, or maybe a few people, I'm not sure exactly what path we'll take.

"But they'll have amazing support, whoever that might be, within the playing group but also across the football club."

On behalf of the club, Cotchin on Monday handed over a cheque for $212,093 to Richmond's charity partner the Alannah and Madeline Foundation.

https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/7539225/afl-flag-fire-reignited-in-tigers-cotchin/

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2465 on: December 06, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
I tell you what,

The current wags obsession with sharing their "lives" is "'a net net" negative  for both the coach the captain, and our club.

Completely unnecessary

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2466 on: January 10, 2022, 07:15:37 PM »
The players who have a point to prove in your AFL team

The Age
10 January 2022

The 2021 AFL season presented all manner of on-and-off-field challenges for players. As clubs return to pre-season training from Monday, football reporter Jon Pierik and Champion Data’s Louie Kebakovski run the rule over who will be keen to lift in your team.

Richmond

Trent Cotchin has ceded the captaincy after three premierships but still hopes to be an influential figure in the midfield. The Tigers will hope he can hit the scoreboard more often. Having booted 57 goals between 2014-2018, his goal kicking has dried up, managing just 11 over the past four seasons, including one and two, respectively, in the past two years.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-players-who-have-a-point-to-prove-in-your-afl-team-20211220-p59j0r.html

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2467 on: January 10, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »
Pffft yeah because he can hardly kick 40+ metres anymore.

Was always a suspect kick.

I'm sure Trent wants to help as much as he can but I highly doubt he's planning to find the posts more often as his means.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2468 on: March 02, 2022, 02:45:40 PM »
RICHMOND VETERAN HAS “TRAINED THE HOUSE DOWN”

Seb Mottram
SEN
2 March 2022

Richmond’s Trent Cotchin may just be ready to rediscover his best form in 2022 after relinquishing the captaincy.

The three-time premiership skipper passed on the leadership to Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis for the upcoming season and now enters the new campaign under less pressure he’s experienced for several years.

Cotchin has little left to prove.

A trio of flags, three best and fairests and a Brownlow Medal are more than most will ever get out of the game, but the midfielder isn’t letting up in 2022.

“In terms of Trent, he’s had a wonderful pre-season and really just trained the house down to be honest,” Tim Livingstone, the club’s GM of football performance, told Sportsday.

“We expect him to play the same football that has made Trent such a champion player, so he’ll be around the midfield.”

Since peaking in 2012, Cotchin has gradually declined in average disposals, clearances and scoreboard impact.

However, fitting into a strong midfield featuring the likes of Dustin Martin and Dion Prestia, plus shedding a major responsibility, there’s hope the 31-year-old can return to the form that had him as one of the best midfielders in the league last decade.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/02/richmond-veteran-has-trained-the-house-down-youngster-to-provide-dynamic/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2469 on: March 02, 2022, 04:52:53 PM »
Here we go haha

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2470 on: March 03, 2022, 02:42:56 PM »
Here we go haha
Thought of your post Andyy when Cotch suddenly sat out of a drill talking to Peter Burge. I was thinking "thanks for mozzing Cotch, Livingstone!" :laugh:. Thankfully, Cotch rejoined the group afterwards for the last drill and is all fine  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2471 on: March 03, 2022, 08:48:49 PM »
I love the bloke but it's just a matter of time for his next hammy.

Prestia similarly fragile.

Shame but at least we have the flags!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick has high hopes for Trent Cotchin after ditching the captaincy (HSun)
« Reply #2472 on: March 09, 2022, 07:35:32 PM »
Richmond coach has high hopes for Trent Cotchin after ditching the captaincy

Dropping the captaincy could propel this AFL star to big things in 2022.

News.com.au
March 9, 2022

Stepping down as captain could be the key to Richmond star Trent Cotchin delivering a “very, very good year” in 2022, according to Tigers coach Damien Hardwick.

Cotchin, a triple premiership captain, stepped down from the captaincy at the end of last season after nine years in the role as Richmond missed the finals.

He finished his tenure as the longest-serving and most successful skipper in Tigerland history.

But Cotchin remains relatively young at just 31 – he turns 32 in April – and Hardwick believes the capacity to focus on just himself in the pre-season could help him bound into the season.

“He can just really concentrate on his own game. And I think when you get a little bit older it probably lends itself a little bit more to that. You’ve got to concentrate hard on getting your body right, week in, week out,” Hardwick told the Talking Tigers podcast.

“He’s had the best pre-season since I’ve been at the club.

“He’s done more work than he’s ever done before, he looks as fit as he’s ever been, so I’m expecting him to have a very, very good year.”

Cotchin returned to action in last week’s practice match against Hawthorn in Tasmania, having missed the previous week’s hitout against Geelong.

Hardwick said he saw all the best qualities from Cotchin, the sort that have propelled him to three club best and fairests and a Brownlow Medal.

“And we started to see that in the first half on the weekend (against Hawthorn in Devonport),” he said.

“He was very clean, physical, powerful – all the things we love about Trent as a player.”

Hardwick said Cotchin would still have “an enormous influence on our club” despite handing over the captaincy to Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2022-richmond-coach-has-high-hopes-for-trent-cotchin-after-ditching-the-captaincy/news-story/37cb8102909d1b2549c544cd145e38d6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2473 on: March 27, 2022, 09:48:58 PM »
Cotchin was prominent as the Tigers won contested ball by 18 and kicked nine goals from stoppage.

"He doesn't get the 30 possessions that some other midfielders do, but he uses his body like a battering ram ... he makes us better as a result," Hardwick said.

Source: AAP

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2474 on: March 27, 2022, 10:01:51 PM »
Silly 50 but his second half was great. Still showed some excellent lateral movement