Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 430937 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #285 on: August 06, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
Since when has a winning culture been mythical? I have played football for many years and winning cultures are not mythical at all, it is a phenonomen that takes years to build and weeks to smash!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
Since when has a winning culture been mythical? I have played football for many years and winning cultures are not mythical at all, it is a phenomenon that takes years to build and weeks to smash!

:thumbsup   :clapping

And was never going to be built by one good finish to a season (2008) but by cumulative winning efforts over a number of seasons.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
Developing a 'winning culture' at the end of a year against tanking teams only to have that smashed into your face in the first game of the season and completely destroy any small amount of confidence and morale you had achieved the year before tells me that the importance of stringing a few wins together is extremely over rated and the benefits of it 'mythical'.

Confidence and belief is what you are really taking about and more importantly the understanding of yourself, your team mates and that what you are collectively doing will bring success. When people talked about how losing games for the rest of the year was counter productive to our future success and that winning games for the remainder of the year would allow us to develop this 'winning culture' I struggled and continue to struggle to understand.

If we strung together a series of close fought games against quality opposition where our belief in each other and confidence in our game plan was magnified then I agree that this is very important. But if we fell over the line through individual acts of brilliance, poor play by the other team or sheer tanking, then this achieves nothing and allows us to take nothing away from it. Many of our wins last year fell into the above category which is why we still remain a team of individuals.

Until we can win together, have confidence in each other and that our game plan will bring us success regardless of the scoreline then wins are meaningless. We need experience, we need quality players, we need belief and we need leadership and winning a few games at this stage of the season against the weaker teams gives us nothing to take into next season.

It all depends on the type of wins we string together, the opposition and when they are achieved, otherwise this 'Winning Culture' tag is nothing more than a mythical meaningless label.

Stripes

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »
Developing a 'winning culture' at the end of a year against tanking teams only to have that smashed into your face in the first game of the season and completely destroy any small amount of confidence and morale you had achieved the year before tells me that the importance of stringing a few wins together is extremely over rated and the benefits of it 'mythical'.

Confidence and belief is what you are really taking about and more importantly the understanding of yourself, your team mates and that what you are collectively doing will bring success. When people talked about how losing games for the rest of the year was counter productive to our future success and that winning games for the remainder of the year would allow us to develop this 'winning culture' I struggled and continue to struggle to understand.

If we strung together a series of close fought games against quality opposition where our belief in each other and confidence in our game plan was magnified then I agree that this is very important. But if we fell over the line through individual acts of brilliance, poor play by the other team or sheer tanking, then this achieves nothing and allows us to take nothing away from it. Many of our wins last year fell into the above category which is why we still remain a team of individuals.

Until we can win together, have confidence in each other and that our game plan will bring us success regardless of the scoreline then wins are meaningless. We need experience, we need quality players, we need belief and we need leadership and winning a few games at this stage of the season against the weaker teams gives us nothing to take into next season.

It all depends on the type of wins we string together, the opposition and when they are achieved, otherwise this 'Winning Culture' tag is nothing more than a mythical meaningless label.

Stripes

dont normally agree with you but i dont think i have read a post i agree with more than this.

:thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2009, 05:30:46 PM »

Stripes

dont normally agree with you but i dont think i have read a post i agree with more than this.

:thumbsup
Totally agree and well said but you are wasting your time Stripes trying to convince some of these clowns on here. These same clowns would have walked out of the G last week all happy, i walked out totally amazed how bad we were. Winning games with a kick after the siren against the worst sided in the league while their coaching panel  were completely not trying to win is not going to build a "winning culture".

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
RFC confirmation......

Cotchin's season over
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen  Thu 06 August, 2009

GUN RICHMOND midfielder Trent Cotchin's season is over after succumbing to a hip injury.

Cotchin has been injury-plagued since arriving at the club with the second pick in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, behind Matthew Kreuzer who went to the Blues.

Now 19, Cotchin missed almost the entirety of his first pre-season due to an inflamed achilles heel and a broken foot, but still played 15 games, finishing third in the NAB Rising Star award and collecting the gong as Richmond's best first-year player.

Cotchin's second pre-season was also interrupted by an achilles injury, after he hurt the other one due to over-training.

Although he had missed his second pre-season, Cotchin still managed to put together 10 games this year, averaging 18 disposals and taking 40 marks.

Earlier in the day, coach Jade Rawlings hinted at the severity of Cotchin's hip injury.

"He's had a hip he's been dealing with for a few weeks now, and he's pulled up a bit sore," Rawlings said.

"Anyone who was at the game the other day would have seen when he came on in the last stanza that he looked pretty sore."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/82189/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2009, 01:39:30 AM »
"He's had a hip he's been dealing with for a few weeks now, and he's pulled up a bit sore," Rawlings said.

"Anyone who was at the game the other day would have seen when he came on in the last stanza that he looked pretty sore."
Then why did we play him when there's nothing to play for this year  ???. Geez we have done too many dumb things year with our injured players starting with Foley and his ankle prior to round 1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2009, 08:27:25 AM »

Then why did we play him when there's nothing to play for this year  ???. Geez we have done too many dumb things year with our injured players starting with Foley and his ankle prior to round 1.
I agree, no defending this one to be honest

Tigermonk

« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »

& how many years l been other this problem. What makes me mad they dont learn.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2009, 02:48:26 AM »
Probably a typical short-sighted self-preservation attitude due to us not believing we were good enough to win and make the finals without our best 22 on the park every week and we felt we couldn't afford to drop even one game through players being cautiously rested yet we'd lose the game anyway  :P. So we risk our better players being out injured long-term by playing them nowhere near 100% instead of resting them for a couple of weeks and letting the player get over the injury. Okay you can't be cautious about every niggle and players never play 100% fit but there's been some blantant examples this year where the Club has let players play or go back onto the ground when they clearly shouldn't have and it's blown up in the Club's face. Foley wasn't right for round 1 but they jabbed his ankle to play and he's played all year like that until it finished his year early. I know playing lists aren't that large but we do have 40 players (45 including rookies). A coach sometimes has to be like a soccer manager and play the list to get through a whole season. Other clubs do it. Moreover given the shocker of a year and the "reward" for winning no more than 4 games it made no sense for us not to put our better players into cotton wool for the rest of the season if they are sore.

Tigermonk

« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »
Probably a typical short-sighted self-preservation attitude due to us not believing we were good enough to win and make the finals without our best 22 on the park every week and we felt we couldn't afford to drop even one game through players being cautiously rested yet we'd lose the game anyway  :P. So we risk our better players being out injured long-term by playing them nowhere near 100% instead of resting them for a couple of weeks and letting the player get over the injury. Okay you can't be cautious about every niggle and players never play 100% fit but there's been some blantant examples this year where the Club has let players play or go back onto the ground when they clearly shouldn't have and it's blown up in the Club's face. Foley wasn't right for round 1 but they jabbed his ankle to play and he's played all year like that until it finished his year early. I know playing lists aren't that large but we do have 40 players (45 including rookies). A coach sometimes has to be like a soccer manager and play the list to get through a whole season. Other clubs do it. Moreover given the shocker of a year and the "reward" for winning no more than 4 games it made no sense for us not to put our better players into cotton wool for the rest of the season if they are sore.

exactly & thats what l can't understand, play the list & let players recover.
Doing that benefits the players & the club.
Sometimes l feel like Richmond recruit just to lift Coburg but the Richmond players dont have thier heart in it playing at Coburg & with all the experience in the Coburg side they still get beaten.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »
exactly & thats what l can't understand, play the list & let players recover.
Doing that benefits the players & the club.

Sometimes l feel like Richmond recruit just to lift Coburg but the Richmond players dont have thier heart in it playing at Coburg & with all the experience in the Coburg side they still get beaten.
Yep struggling clubs desperate for any win that lacks depth and faith in players 23-46 on their list to step in as replacements and step up make that mistake.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #297 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
Hopefully Cotch finally gets a full preseason behind him. Sighted walking out of the Fitzroy pools by 'Wally Matera' from BF

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16141354&postcount=1

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
Anyone heard of or know how well or bad Cotch is going so far. I know its only been a few weeks in but if he aint tearing up the tan now then we can look forward to another late start to the year.

he has the talent but showed hardly anything due to injury.

makes me laugh how some of you already label him a future captain.

get him on the park RFC, fit and not injured like your prone to do.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
Thanks for the near heart attack daniel :P lol

Cotch had some post season surgery IIRC so he's still coming back from that. I think he's still a few weeks? away.