Author Topic: Federal Election  (Read 41654 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Federal Election
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
How long are Senate terms?
Whether we have another federal election sooner rather than later, Senators remain for their period of office :-\
God help us  :banghead

6 year terms for the Senate IIRC, hence why we basically have half senate elections every 3 years

FWIW all the new senators elected on Saturday dont' take up their positions until the 1/7/2011. So the Green's don't have the "power" they won on Saturday until July.

Hopefully by then Bob Brown will know the name of the Victoria bloke (Richard Di Natale) who became their first senator from Vic... didn't anyone else see that on the news yesterday  ??? Bob Brown no being able to remember the names of the 2 Victorian blokes who won  :rollin :rollin hysterical stuff

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
I my opinion the quicker they do away with compulsory voting the better it will be for all.
The club that keeps giving.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
I my opinion the quicker they do away with compulsory voting the better it will be for all.

Seeing the informal vote was over 600K this election (a staggering number and a major concern IMHO) I don't think we can afford to make voting non-compulsory...

If they did that it; it may end being just you and me voting Mr Tigra  ;D

« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »

Seeing the informal vote was over 600K this election (a staggering number and a major concern IMHO) I don't think we can afford to make voting non-compulsory...

and me, I even had a party Sat night, a few fights but no affairs :-(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
This result proves to all that unless your name is Bob Hawke, Labor aren't any good at running government longer than 3 years! Their history speaks loud and clear.
After a landslide victory in 2007 when we all were hopeful that Rudd could make a real difference he was shafted by his own party revealing to all that Labor can't be trusted to govern with a mandate from the Australian public. It shows that Labor are a fractured, unstable organisation with too many hidden agendas and too many heads trying to drive a ship. Problem is that with a constitution that has a 40/40/20 rule that is discrimminatory and is un Australian, the party members are unable to work together or trust one another. Therefore the ship will always sink  
A great example of this was Maxine McKew who was a strong supporter of Kevin '07. In her own words she was "factionless" and was therefore NOT supported by Julia's growing faction The Emily's list. Not even a train line could save her in the end.  
In conclusion
Luke 11:17
Geez knew their thoughts and said to them: "Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall.

John Curtin was such a disaster of a Labor PM wasn't he leading the country through WWII before he died in office  ::). You might also want to check your Australian history of the Gorton/McMahon period if you want to see unstable government in self destruct mode - Malcolm Fraser openingly bagged his own PM John Gorton; Gorton is then challenged by Billy MacMahon but the leadership vote ended up a tie so by Liberal party rules Gorton had to step down; Gorton then runs for and wins the deputy leadership forcing McMahon to make Gorton his defence minister; McMahon then sacks Gorton for disloyalty. Then we had the split in the Libs in 1977 when Don Chipp broke away to form the Democrats.  1968-1982 was a shambles for Australia politically and economically from both sides. Both parties have had major implosions in our history (ALP-DLP split in 1954 was the biggest on the Labor side) and to think otherwise is just showing blatant bias.

If you believe there are no factions in the Liberal party then you're living in la la land. Abbott won the Liberal party leadership by ONE vote over Turnbull. The Liberal party is split between hardcore conservative and moderate small "l" liberal factions just as the ALP is split between left and right wing factions. With the massive egos in politics on all sides there is always someone waiting to knife their own or opponent to jump up the political ladder.
comparing the liberal democratic process of voting in a leader to the ALP system of knifing is laughable just read their constitution and you will see all the "hidden" rules regarding factions. There is absolutely nothing in the liberal party constitution that accounts for factions at all.  
The 40/40/20 affirmative action rule is a joke and anyone with eyes can read that garbage.
There may be differences in party politics but as the Abbott and Turnbull experience showed, when the party is ALLOWED TO VOTE democracy wins because ALL have a say.  

It's likely that the faceless MAFIA men behind the ALP will probably make an offer the independants can't refuse.  
As I said anyone who doesn't believe the Liberal Party have factions of hardline conservatives (Howard, Abbott, etc) and moderate small "l" liberals (Costello, Turnbull, etc) is living in la la land.

The Liberal party have gone through 3 opposition leaders in 3 years. They aren't bad at knifing each other themselves. Both sides are ruthless. Both parties have leadership ballots unless the incumbant realises he/she doesn't have the numbers and doesn't contest the ballot allowing the challenger to take the reigns uncontested.

On the independants it's most likely you will all have your way and the Gillard government will be returned despite MORE people voting for liberal in Australia than the ALP.
The ALP as a single party got more primary votes than any other party. It isn't a fragmented coalition of Libs, Nats, LNP (Qld), CLP, WA Nats needing to add their votes together because none on their own can match Labor.

In any case our electoral system in the lower house doesn't work by first past the post and nor should it. Why should someone with a minority of 40% of the vote be elected if the other 60% majority dislike this candidate and prefer someone else in be it their first or second choice candidate. That's why we have preferential voting.

On two party preferred Labor has the most votes nationwide.  
Australian Labor Party      5,063,869      50.66%
Liberal/National Coalition   4,932,436     49.34%  

Out of interest the Labor also has more seats in 4 of the 6 states including the two most populus NSW and Vic. Not relevant to who wins though.

At the end of the day it is who can win or collect the majority of seats in the lower house that wins power. At the moment

Australian Labor Party      72 (73)
Liberal/National Coalition   70 (73)
Greens                            1 (1)
Independents                   3 (3)
Doubtful                          4
Total                           150 (150)

The () are the most likely seat numbers when the counting is finally finished but that's still up in the air and could change with pre-polling and postal votes which make up 15% of the total votes. Still impossible to know who will govern.

Doubtful seats:
Hasluck (WA) - Libs in front by 382 votes but 25% of the votes are pre-polling and postal votes which are yet to be counted so too close to call.

Dunkley (Vic) - Libs in front by 612 votes. Stuff in the counting had 200 Labor votes in the Libs pile. Fixed now so it's now doubtful.

Boothby (SA) - Libs in front by 663 votes. Libs sandbagged this seat (local calling of voters) so will probably hang on although it's classed as doubtful.

Denison (Tas) - ALP in front by 408 votes. Two party preferred has to be recounted given the AEC always puts ALP vs Coalition on election night. This has to be changed to ALP vs Ind. if the Independent (Andrew Wilkie) finishes ahead of the Libs and gains their preferences. At the moment only 28 of the 56 booths have been changed and where the remaining booths come from will determine the winner. North Hobart is Labor heartland whereas as Hobart city is Greens territory.

Scenarios:
If Labor loses Denison then they'll only have 72 seats compared to the Libs 73 if they hold on to their leads in the three other doubtful seats. Labor would then need the one Green MP vote (whose already agreed to support Labor) and 3 of the 4 independents to retain power. The Libs would have 73 seats and would only need 3 of the independents to gain power.

If Labor retains Denison then it'll be 73-all with Labor effectively having 74 with the Green MP. Still could go either way depending on the 3 independents.

If Labor retains Hasluck and Denison then that will effectively rule out a Coalition minority government as they'll only have 72 seats.

It's way way too early to know who will win.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:19:44 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »

On the independants it's most likely you will all have your way and the Gillard government will be returned despite MORE people voting for liberal in Australia than the ALP.
The ALP as a single party got more primary votes than any other party. It isn't a fragmented coalition of Libs, Nats, LNP (Qld), CLP, WA Nats needing to add their votes together because none on their own can match Labor.

I heard Abbot on the radio saying that the libs got the most primary votes so they should get in. Then later he said that it doesnt matter that the ALP got the most primary votes  :wallywink.
Ahh, I think that effort needs another  :wallywink
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
I heard Abbot on the radio saying that the libs got the most primary votes so they should get in. Then later he said that it doesnt matter that the ALP got the most primary votes  :wallywink.
Ahh, I think that effort needs another  :wallywink

Saw Tony on the news last night refusing to speak to reporters - didn't seem happy.  ;D

Perhaps it's dawned on him that he and his party(ies) haven't got some automatic right to think that are the only ones who deserve to form a govenrment: they have to negotiate with the indy's

Although I think it may have had something to do with a stuff up at the AEC that means a seat they claimed on Saturday night may not be there's after all ....  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
Yesterday the vote counting swung to Labor and today it's gone the other way although Labor has made small gains in Hasluck and Dunkley.

Boothby (SA) is no longer listed as doubtful so the Libs look home there as was expected.

Dunkley (Vic) - Libs lead by 497 votes. Too close to call.

Hasluck (WA) - Libs lead by 317 votes. Too close to call.

Denison (Tas) - Indepedent Andrew Wilkie has jumped ahead of Labor by 1091 votes two-party preferred with 47 of the 56 booths in. All those booths that have come in today much have come from Hobart city with so many preferences favouring Wilkie. Still up to where the remaining final 9 booths come from but Wilkie has a big lead now.

So at the moment by seats won according to the AEC
ALP         71
Coalition   71
Green        1
Indep.       4 
Doubtful    3
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »

Saw Tony on the news last night refusing to speak to reporters - didn't seem happy.  ;D

Why speak when there is nothing to say. To me this shows more self control that Julia's recent blurts about nothing... ::)

I think the people in Taiwan have been able to describe our whole whole election process to a T with a classic animated news program.
This is a must see YouTube clip. Its Hilarious!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/3AWRadio#p/a/u/1/y_rOMhCHK50

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #249 on: August 25, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »

And when you think that Mr Rabbit & others are hell bent on demonising 3000 odd refugees arriving in boats who would just love to be able to vote & participate in a free democracy........
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gerkin greg

« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »
Why demonise Tony's appearance Beren?

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
We may as well elect this Caro lookalike hey Beren ?. He'd do a better job than all of 'em. Dontcha reckon it looks like Caro ?

Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #252 on: August 25, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Who the eff is Mr Rabbit?  Why are the refugees odd, are you suggesting that they look funny coz they don't have red hair and big huge freckles?  I don't think they really give a poo about democracy either, they just don't want to drink water with turds in it anymore which is fair enough.  At the end of the day, if you are voting for a govt. to lead us based on the citizens of other countries, then you are a moron, we need leadership for our citizens.  That issue is a side issue and a minor one, the bulk of immigration in this country walks straight through the front door through bs fee for education schemes which I had the misfortune of witnessing during my teaching and also through sneaky cheap labour scams designed to undermine the local market and force prices down.  Vote Lib if you want more of that by the way, Labor really is not any better, they have not fixed any of Jackboots little scams, they tut tutted them then just left em in place.  Ask the construction blokes about the work site stasi who can pull em in without legal representation for attending union meetings.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:00:59 PM by Owl »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #253 on: August 25, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »

And when you think that Mr Rabbit & others are hell bent on demonising 3000 odd refugees arriving in boats who would just love to be able to vote & participate in a free democracy........
Beren, its not about the refugees as individuals or their desire for freedom. Its how they get here via criminal means. But hey if you want to be in favour of an open door policy and allow illegal people smuggling to flourish then good luck to you. I personally will not stand by and watch our boarder protection policies get peed all over by criminals who know how to work the currently flawed system.

Remember there are thousands of legitimate immigration applications awaiting approval to enter this country. Why should these people who also as you say, would be thrilled to vote and participate in a free democracy be disadvantaged by others who choose to come and enter this country via a criminal path.

gerkin greg

« Reply #254 on: August 25, 2010, 02:53:18 PM »
Personally I don't think Julia has the julies to run the country, this isn't Middle Earth