Author Topic: Richo on 3aw  (Read 2508 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo on 3aw
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »
Richo on 3aw just now:

* We're disappointed. Went in with a fairly strong side only missing a couple of players.

* Positives - Kel outstanding in defence. Played a few new guys and tried them in new positons - Silvester. Not all gloom and doom and reminded everyone it's only round 1 of the NAB Cup. 

* Him playng in defence is once in a blue moon. Generally stationed up forward and across HF.

* Agreed it's easier to play defence as you only hit the ball away.

* Praised the Saints on fixing their ruck division.

* We'll head up to Cairns and attemtp to get a couple of wins so we can move into the Cartlon game with a winning feeling. Need so momentum and confidence in that game as the spotlight will be on it with Judd.

* Yep skill level and pressure skills were bad. We focussed hard over summer on skills but didn't deliver last night. Saints were very good applying pressure on us. Got 3 weeks to get it right.

* Days of ripping into someone for mistakes is over. More praise when someone does something right and hope that becomes instinctive. Scott Cummings said that's what happens in schools and it's wrong as kids lack discipline. Senior players or coach give a spray which is not personal and young players sook up. Richo said that's the way now even though sometimes you feel like going back to the old days (laughs) but he admitted he makes mistakes too. What's the best way? That's what takes a good coach - reading 40 players and managing them individually and as a team. Gone are the days of treating everyone the same.

* Not going to be all gloom and doom are one game. No yelling or hysterics after the game. Just talked through what we did wrong. We made plenty of skill errors and went wide. Saints did well pressuring us. We know what went wrong and will spend the next few weeks getting it right.

* Richo thinks he's not playing in Cairns. Everyone to play 3 of the 4 practice matches.

* Focus mainly on is game. If you played well on them last time you stick to that; if not then you look at previous game tapes.

* Good young draft picks in the wings so the future is bright. Young players stood up like Kel last night so that's why you buy your membership. Don't jump off after one game and our young side will do you  proud. 

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richo on 3aw
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
if richo does not play in cairns we just may kick 16 plus goals and win

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »

::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »
Days of ripping into someone for mistakes is over. More praise when someone does something right and hope that becomes instinctive. Scott Cummings said that's what happens in schools and it's wrong as kids lack discipline. Senior players or coach give a spray which is not personal and young players sook up. Richo said that's the way now even though sometimes you feel like going back to the old days (laughs) but he admitted he makes mistakes too. What's the best way? That's what takes a good coach - reading 40 players and managing them individually and as a team. Gone are the days of treating everyone the same.
Doug Searl, Richmond's U19's coach in the 80s, was the best I've ever heard at peeling the paint off the walls especially at half-time when Richmond was losing. It more often than not worked too back then lol.

Seriously I can under why you wouldn't rant and rave all the time now as eventually the effect would wear off and players would blank it out but once in a while such as at our next training session after ast night it still has a purpose as a reminder such low standards aren't acceptable. If any players sook about it then they can play for Coburg next week.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:37:19 PM »

why the eye role, our players play smarter and our fwd line functions better when richo isnt there to be sen. and without richo, the players spirits are not crushed when he chokes and shanks his shots on goal

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 04:58:19 AM »

why the eye role, our players play smarter and our fwd line functions better when richo isnt there to be sen. and without richo, the players spirits are not crushed when he chokes and shanks his shots on goal

It is ludicrous to blame Richo on a shot at goal that he misses when others miss them to.
Who else will have the shot at goal? Riewoldt? Jack would short pass from 30 out because its a Wallace directive. I would rather watch Richo kick 3.4 than watch nobody do nothing.
Perhaps if the players up the ground moved the ball in a more quick and direct fashion the scoreboard pressure we are always under would not be apparent and Richo would not be carrying the teams fortunes on his broad shoulders each time he kicks for goal. Richo at a club with a midfield who move the footy swiftly and accurately pinpointing targets from well up the ground would be an 80+ goal a year player. We have had a gem of a player who has maligned merely because most of the team he has played with.  Without Richo we will struggle up forward. Name me a player to fill the breach currently on the list when Richo is in absentia from the playing personnel?

Little Jackie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »
Days of ripping into someone for mistakes is over. More praise when someone does something right and hope that becomes instinctive. Scott Cummings said that's what happens in schools and it's wrong as kids lack discipline. Senior players or coach give a spray which is not personal and young players sook up. Richo said that's the way now even though sometimes you feel like going back to the old days (laughs) but he admitted he makes mistakes too. What's the best way? That's what takes a good coach - reading 40 players and managing them individually and as a team. Gone are the days of treating everyone the same.
Doug Searl, Richmond's U19's coach in the 80s, was the best I've ever heard at peeling the paint off the walls especially at half-time when Richmond was losing. It more often than not worked too back then lol.

Seriously I can under why you wouldn't rant and rave all the time now as eventually the effect would wear off and players would blank it out but once in a while such as at our next training session after ast night it still has a purpose as a reminder such low standards aren't acceptable. If any players sook about it then they can play for Coburg next week.   

Can tell you that the "" wallace"" spray is hardly threatening to make the players sulk.
They just  then go and have a shower and all is forgotten a few hours later.
Maybe  next day 5am training sessions are the go.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:28:51 AM by Jackstar »

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »
Well said HT well said! :clapping

blx

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
twice i can remember Richo being out long term and on both accasions ('95 and '2000) Richmonds forward line all of a sudden looked unpredictable and damaging to the point of being very effective. We ended up winning more games than we lost, so i for one am not totally averse to the notion that a Richo-less forward line is gonna be schizen.

Its not about replacing Richo one on one because we all know theres only one tony locke... i mean one Richo. IMO even if we did find someone like him it would create the same stifling conundrum that has befitted us for years.

For me its more bout creating a whole new multi-talented and flexible forwardline instead of our usual centric based one.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »
twice i can remember Richo being out long term and on both accasions ('95 and '2000) Richmonds forward line all of a sudden looked unpredictable and damaging to the point of being very effective. We ended up winning more games than we lost, so i for one am not totally averse to the notion that a Richo-less forward line is gonna be schizen.

Its not about replacing Richo one on one because we all know theres only one tony locke... i mean one Richo. IMO even if we did find someone like him it would create the same stifling conundrum that has befitted us for years.

For me its more bout creating a whole new multi-talented and flexible forwardline instead of our usual centric based one.

amen

but to create a multi talented fwd line, richo must be out full stop, he hogs and demands the whole fwd area and is now just a has been nuisence

on friday hi missed a goal that was desparately needed, 40 out, only a pretty tight angle but very gettable. he choked. minutes later, from the same distance out on a lesser angle, he shanked it again to the right.  this is a kick that any op fwd eats! but richo is stupid, why i say this, ok he missed the first one, fair enough, butthe second one , to spray the ball in the exact same spot as the first and not learn from his previous error just proves that the big bafoon does not think through what he is actually doing. what is worse, a thinking richo is even more stupid. richo only plays well when he does not think and just play on instict, but he has lost alot of agility abd mobility over the yrs and for a big man is soft and weak. he does not put fear in the opposition as does a g train, hall and j brown, and for a man of richos size that a joke, he should be an intia=midating and imposing figure but instead the opposition laugh at him and do not fear him!

even that anorexic skinny red headed reject fronm the hawks, thurgood, in his first game took it to richo! showed no fear and in actual fact that skinny ugly bony prick intimidated richo.

i have said this for yrs, we cant go fwd unless guys like richo, tivvers, sugar etc are all gone!

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »

amen

but to create a multi talented fwd line, richo must be out full stop, he hogs and demands the whole fwd area and is now just a has been nuisence

Agree X.
On the odd occasion Sarge had a good leading up game last season he was negated time and time again by Richo and his "my fwd area" attitude crashing and clashing with him over and over. For all of you about to jump on me dont get me wrong i dont think sarge is the answer but just an example im using.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »
trouble is no one at the rfc can se this, they are all trapped in box and cant see what is happening. its time terry stopped looking at the team the way he is and watch the game as a special commentator again with no personal interest. i bet he would then see all the crap that is going on

step out of the box terry and open ur eyes

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 02:51:36 PM »

95 we were a preliminary final side and we had lost Tony Free as well. Stephen Jurica filled the breach for half a dozen games and then after that the impact of his loss was beginning to be felt. Hence we our highest score in 3 finals was 86 points.
In 2000 our highest score was 23 9 147 against Geelong in round 8 , however we had a better list at that point in time and hence we were getting better results and this loss of Richo although hurt the team initially, the impact of it was not felt until much later in the season when we played teams like Carlton and Essendon the second time around and got soundly beaten.
I am referring to someone on our list who can fill the breach competently with the same impact when Richo is not playing right now. We had better lists in the years Richo was injured and not playing. Anyway we have all had our spiel on his pro and cons and reasons why or why not he should be missing but I still want one of you Richo absent people to tell me who on our list will fill the breach when the big no 12 is not playing? Cos I can't see Sarge,nor Jack being the answer and its obvious Cleve is not being given the opportunity.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
apparantley cleve is just a lazy poo who just wont work hard week in week out, eg, look at his poor effort yesterday, but i still say we should persist with him over richo, maybe he has every right to sook. at least cleve can kick much straighter and longer than richo

anyone notice that richo cannot kick goals beyond 45m out anymore, and rarely kicks one over 50m.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »
I always refer to the 1st West Coast game of 2007.

Hughes at CHF
Schulz at FF.

Richo up the ground.

We had a solid setup up front with the youngsters.
They presented well, worked hard and didn't get into each others space.

Richo had all the space in the world to run in and it was effective despite the loss.

A couple of weeks later we lose to the Cats(157pts).
At the first sign of panic, that promising plan goes out the window never to be seen again that season and Richo is yet again the solitary target. We then have Schulz struggling for the rest of the year and Hughes ends up playing for  the Coburg reserves... :-\

How many years are we going to persist with a forward setup that's brought so little success?

Wallace should bite the bullet and get the transition happening this season. Actually should have been last season. However he won't because he's trying to save his bacon and Richo is the safe option.

Get back to it Wallace.