Author Topic: Richo [merged]  (Read 28513 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo adapts to new Tiger times (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 05:41:47 AM »
Richo adapts to new Tiger times
Sunday Herald Sun
Tony Sheahan
April 27, 2008

RICHMOND is preparing for life after Matthew Richardson, despite the forward's insistence he has another two years left in him.

Sometimes it comes down to a bit of bad luck.

"Richo" has been instructed by his bosses at Tigerland: Get used to playing out of position.

The club needs to find his replacement at centre half-forward, a challenge it does not expect to be easy.

"The club is certainly looking to develop other players in my position and I understand that," Richardson said.

Asked if there was life after Richo at Punt Rd, he replied: "Yeah, definitely - and that's what the club has to find out.

"That's why they have to play guys like Jack Riewoldt, and obviously Jay Schulz has been around a while, but they need to find out who can take over.

"Cleve Hughes is in the reserves. They need to know whether he can make it, too. The only way they're going to find out is if they play these blokes in key positions."

Graham Polak was earmarked for centre half-back when he arrived from Fremantle at the end of 2006, but "Richo" believes he has the potential to play as a forward.

"Polak is one of the best marks I have seen and he could certainly fill my role," the veteran said.

"He could go forward or back."

After kicking a team-high 15 goals this season, for a career tally of 758, it may seem surprising to some the big man is relishing his time up the ground, away from goal.

"When you're in the forward line you always have someone on you - basically someone tagging you all the time," he said.

"Every possession you gather is hard-earned . . . if you play up the ground, I guess you get a little more freedom, which makes it more enjoyable. You can pick up someone else, play a little, but more defensively, and you can drop back, which makes it easier to get a possession."

There was a lot of apprehension from "Richo" before undertaking his new role.

Asked if playing up the ground freed him up mentally, he responded: "It didn't the first week, because I wasn't sure how I was going to go.

"I'll still be spending 40 to 50 per cent of game time up forward, and I may even even spend whole games up there.

"It just depends on the opposition and the match-ups."

His position on the ground will remain uncertain, but his contract and immediate future with the Tigers will need to be addressed.

The 33-year-old is out of contract at season's end and, with mind and body still fresh, believes there is be no reason why he can't play until he is 35.

"The body feels as good as it has for four to five years," he said. "I'm out of contract at the end of this year, and I haven't decided what's going to happen.

"It depends on what the club sees my role as being, and depends on how the body feels and whether I can contribute, I guess.

"At this stage, you can't look too far ahead. I thought I'd be able to play well into my 30s, so I've never really put a cap on it."

But looking at the past two decades, Richardson has compiled an impressive list of accomplishments for a man of his build (195cm, 102 kg), who debuted for the Tigers in 1993 and is playing in his 17th season.

Does he compare his career against others who began at the same time?

"You do - you see who else is around from when you started," he said.

"There was (Peter) Everitt, 'Crawf' (Shane Crawford) was '92, 'Neitzy' (David Neitz) and, of course, Rob Harvey before that.

"If you have a look at 'Neita', he has played in over 300 games and I'm two seasons behind him in games because of a knee in 1995 and a foot in 2000.

"That's probably why I'm still able to play - because I didn't take a battering for 44 games."

Does he ever think about life after footy?

"Every now and then, but I try not to think about it too much," he said, a hint of that famous grin drifting across his face.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/1,9191,23601603-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richo adapts to new Tiger times (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
:bow  :bow  :bow.

In terms of the team 2008 is turning into one of Richo's best years in his whole career. The new role isn't foolproof as accurately short passing in defence isn't one of his strengths and he no and then kicked longer to contests on the wing today but he is a freak. That goal today where he ran the length of the ground leaving Hodge helplessly chasing behind him to get on the end of the alley-oop to goal was one of the greatest display of athleticism you will see on a footy field  :clapping. And that's forgetting he is 33 years old. What's more he still pushed forward to kick 4 goals again from a wing  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richo on a wing
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
Dwayne Russell on 3aw tonight reckons Richo could kick 6 or 7 goals from the wing this week because the Saints don't have someone to match up on him there.

bushranger

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 10:04:16 PM »
I think its a really good move to play him there.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »
Dwayne Russell on 3aw tonight reckons Richo could kick 6 or 7 goals from the wing this week because the Saints don't have someone to match up on him there.

I know he's their defensive general but Sam Fisher is the best player the Saints could put on Richo.

That said I reckon they'll go with Blake and Richo will crave him up.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Run Richo run (The Age)
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 05:04:52 AM »
Run Richo run
Peter Hanlon | May 3, 2008 | The Age

THEY seek him here, they seek him there, and they find the Richo man … everywhere.

Last Sunday evening, MCG, first minute: Matthew Richardson marks in the forward pocket, goes back and misses. Still first minute: he gets a telling hand to a contest on the opposite wing.

Fifth minute: a saving mark in the back pocket. Sixth minute: ignored on a lead pushing through half-forward. Seventh minute: contests a mark at full-back, follows up and shoots out a relieving handball at centre half-back. Still in the seventh minute: marks in the centre and keeps pushing forward …

And on it goes, through 15 kicks, 13 marks, 12 handballs and 96% of game time. In the stands, mouths gape. Hawthorn fans, seeking a distraction from Buddy Franklin's kicking for goal, start watching the Tigers' No. 12. There are cries of wonderment. "Look at Richo go!"

It is three weeks since Terry Wallace chose to "release Richo", snipping the leash that had admittedly only loosely bound him to the half-forward line in the past. The result has been to make possibly the game's most cherished character even more loved. It might also have won him seven or eight Brownlow votes.

And for the ground he has covered, heart on sleeve as ever, it has also posed a question: does Matthew Richardson have the biggest "engine" in football?

Geelong club doctor Chris Bradshaw is an unabashed admirer, having seen enough in his years at Punt Road to imagine the athlete Richo might have been. He likens him to Alberto Juantorena, the legendary Cuban who won the 400/800 metres double at the 1976 Montreal Olympics; like Richardson, Juantorena was a big man with an even bigger stride (a combination that led him to be dubbed el Caballo — the Horse).

"Richo was that sort of athlete, probably someone who had enough endurance to run a good 800, but he would have run a fairly decent 400 as well," Bradshaw said.

Tales of a younger Richardson's feats in competitive testing scenarios abound; Bradshaw remembers intervention being required during a beep test.

"He got to a level beyond everyone else, something ridiculous, and he was still going flat out. We had to stop him because we were worried he was going to tear a hammy, he was going that fast. And he still wasn't exhausted. He was the last guy standing."

Richardson wasn't "wired up" during last weekend's game, but wore a GPS monitor the previous two weekends. He ran 16 kilometres against the Western Bulldogs, and 16.5 in his best-on-ground, all-over-the-ground dismantling of Fremantle at Subiaco Oval — figures comparable to the game's hardest-running midfielders.

The Tigers weren't divulging this week how many of those metres were traversed through "high-end efforts" — at near full capacity — but you can be assured it was many. In competitive situations, Richardson has always gone out to use every drop of petrol in his huge tank.

Peter Knights coached him as a 16-year-old, throwing the spindly teen into Devonport's seniors in 1992, when Tasmania's state competition was still strong — both of standard and physical presence. Knights sent him to the half-forward line and has not seen anyone of that age come close to matching his athletic feats.

"He had an aerobic capacity better than anyone else," Knights said. "Not only could he run long and hard, he could run very, very quickly. Just his running, jumping, effervescing, his sheer athleticism, it was something to behold."

Peter Schwab remembers being equally gobsmacked the same year, when he first saw Richardson representing Tasmania in a national under-age carnival game at Morwell. He noted, as Knights had, that some skill refinements would be needed, but quietly gave thanks that Richo was bound to Richmond as a father-son selection.

"I remember saying to (senior coach) John Northey, 'You've just got to play him, he's got so much to offer'," recalled Schwab, who was assistant and reserves coach at Punt Road when Richardson's career began.

Like Knights, Schwab noted the only thing that would stop Richo running was Richo, when he would "crack it and walk around for a while"; it has always seemed his head would explode before his heart or lungs. But he never stays still for long, like the day he was dropped back to Schwab, and responded by taking 26 marks.

Matt Hornsby, Richmond's elite performance manager, arrived at the club eight years ago with a head full of second-hand stories about the club's lionheart. None prepared him for a first-hand viewing. "Even knowing he was a really strong runner, it still surprised me," Hornsby said. "Whenever there's a test — anything from a 200 metres effort to a four-kilometre run — if there's an element of competitiveness either against other people or against the clock, he has an amazing capacity to really push himself physically. I think that's what you see game day."

Modern football training has moved on from the summer days when Ron Barassi would send his North Melbourne charges off through suburban streets, but one old-fashioned testing ground has survived, and is a tangible indicator of Richardson's powers of endurance.

The Tan — 3.87 kilometres of crushed gravel and sand circling the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Said Bradshaw: "The first time Matthew came down to Richmond, they just said, 'This is called the Tan, it's about four ks, off you go', and he came back in about 13 minutes 20-something." His best is 13.02, in the very top bracket for footballers.

Bradshaw uses Anthony Koutoufides for comparison — both could cover 400 metres swiftly (he remembers Richardson running 50 seconds in flat shoes anchoring a relay at Glen Huntly), and both could bench press significant weight (Richo in the 135-145-kilogram range). Yet Kouta, even pre-Gladiatorial beef, could not match him for endurance, and would take 15½ minutes to get around the Tan.

Another relevant endurance measurement is VO 2 max, a figure arrived at by dividing lung capacity in litres by body weight. Lance Armstrong's was in the high 80s — freak territory — Rob de Castella's about 83. Richo is in the mid-60s, which Hornsby says is up with the top couple of midfielders in yellow and black.

Making sure Richardson's 195-centimetre frame tips the scales at 103 kilograms has been crucial to maximising his running capacity without losing the muscle mass that helps make him an amazing footballer, as well as athlete. Hornsby says the balance is tricky; Richo loves the workload in pre-season, which builds a platform for the long months ahead.

"The biggest issue I have is pulling the reins because he likes to do things absolutely flat out when he does them. Terry (Wallace) has a good feel for Richo's ability to really push himself game day, and have a reduced training volume through the week.

"Plough's always been of the opinion he needs to be using his strength — which is his running capacity for his size — to get the most out of his football."

Seeing Richardson, Knights is reminded of afternoons chasing Phil Carman, who he encountered several times when the voluble, multi-clubbed centre half-forward was at his best. "Carman was a nightmare to play on because his aerobic capacity was better than anyone else in the competition at that time," Knights said. "For a two-to-three-year period, he was just extraordinary, he never stopped running. Matty Richardson's been able to do that for 16 years!"

And Richo being Richo, people couldn't be happier for him.

Bradshaw sent him a text message after the Fremantle match, congratulating him on his gut-busting efforts, and last weekend rejoiced in seeing him leading back into the path of a charging Franklin while playing off a wing.

Knights sees a broader upside for the Tigers — the impact he surely has on those around him in a developing side.

"To have Richo still running around like that at his age — getting the possessions, taking the marks, kicking the goals, the aerobic capacity, the miles he covers — he must be such a great role model for them."

Schwab thinks letting Richo's throttle all the way out has opened up the forward line and made Richmond less one-dimensional, while 11 goals in three weeks of freedom show the Tigers are losing nothing in scoring potency.

"At the moment, they've got a win-win situation — they've actually created a different player but are still getting a few goals in return."

And you can't be two players in one without a big engine. Maybe the biggest in the game.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/run-richo-run/2008/05/02/1209235160895.html?page=fullpage

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Run Richo run (The Age)
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 07:37:57 AM »
It will be a very sad day when it finally comes for Richo to hang up the boots.

And some people still continue to bag him  ::)  :wallywink

Richo is and will always be one of the biggest legends to come out of our club.

Richo, Richo man i wanna be a Richo man  :thumbsup

:gotigers

richmondrules

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 07:58:18 AM »

A few years ago when Richo was renegotiating his contract there was talk that he was considering changing clubs and at the time I was all for it.

Well I am very happy to say he is still with us and I was completely wrong.

Currently I am wondering if Richo has been played out of position for the whole of his career.

Go Richo.  :gotigers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 08:59:56 AM »
i cant tell you how many arguments ive had with tigers supporters over the years about this guy. plenty!!

this guy is the richmond fc and i dont care what any one says. he wears his heart on his sleeve and over the years if only he had a few more mates that fought tooth and nail like him, well maybe we couldv'e played more finals than we did.

he couldv'e played finals with another team, did he?? no
he could've moved to another club for poo loads more coin, did he? no

people forget that when richo misses from 20 metres out.

i dread to think what kind of player he would've been at say a geelong now or a brisbane back in the day.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
I remember that game that he played twos and took 26 marks.

I was there to watch the entire game and he was amazing.

Sure does some stuff that you shake your head at but some of the other things he does are just brilliant. In my opinion he is a Champion.

I remember a Friday night game against the Pies, would have been back in around 94. Richo had a free kick or mark right on the boundary line and he played on out of bounds resulting in a throw in. Then 5 minutes later Richo gathers a contested ball and spins around and snaps truly without even looking at the goals. He just does the things most people cant.

I also remember Ben "Scooter" Moore nailing the sealer that night. Now theres a name from the past!!!

Moi

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »

A few years ago when Richo was renegotiating his contract there was talk that he was considering changing clubs and at the time I was all for it.

Well I am very happy to say he is still with us and I was completely wrong.

Currently I am wondering if Richo has been played out of position for the whole of his career.

Go Richo.  :gotigers
You weren't the only  :wallywink
I'm so pleased I was proven wrong too  :lol

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
If he plays good vs st kilda the media will start the Richo for Brownlow stuff, the umpires will be impacted psychologically, he could be a big big chance.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »
For the last couple of years I have been calling for Richo to either retire or move out of the forwardline to allow our young forwards to develop and become a forward team. I also felt we were far too predicatble with Richo up front. Richo doesn't know how to screen or block for his forward team mates, he doesn't create space by doing dummy leads and he will never pull out of a contest even if another forward has a better chance of taking the mark.

To be brutally honest playing Richo in the forwardline was causing far more harm than good. :(

But....

Up the ground he is awesome. I suspected that playing him off the wing or ust outside the F50 would better play to his strengths. He has the engine to run off opponents with size enough to oppose him in a marking contest and the size and marking ability to expose quicker players.

Freeing him up completely has made him a huge weapon rather than a hinderance.

I am so pleased that Richo is killing them on the field and we are still getting as much value for him on the score board as when he was a stay at home forward!

I would love to see Richo remain in this role for as long as him body can hold up. He is a champion of the club and will always be remembered as one of the greatest players to have ever worn the yellow and black.

Richo personafies our club. Just play him where he can be the most damaging for the club and where he can play to his strengths.

We love ya Richo! :cheers

Stripes

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »
If we play Richo in the 'Kouta-role', late in his carrer - impact off the bench allowing him to roam and a wing and drop back/forward I don't see why we cannot get another 3 years out of Richo.

Will be a massive weapon in a young side.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo in career-best form, says Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »
Richo in career-best form, says Wallace
Matt Burgan
 11:13 PM Sat 03 May, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace believes superstar Matthew Richardson is "playing the best football of his life" after the Tiger powerhouse played another blinder against St Kilda on Saturday night at Telstra Dome.

Richardson booted five goals, claimed 22 disposals and took 13 marks as he gave his all for the Tigers in their dramatic three-point loss to the Saints.

Wallace was full of praise for Richardson, who is set to represent the Dream Team in next Saturday night's Hall of Fame clash against Victoria at the MCG.

"He's going pretty well, isn't he? This week we had to leave him down forward more than what we expected to, just with the fact he was dominant down there," Wallace said in his post-match media conference.

"We just play him where we feel that he is having a bigger impact on the game.

“Even in the third quarter we moved him up onto the wing to get our momentum back going back our way. That's how much impact he is having on it.

"He's playing fantastic footy and he's a very, very frustrated man at the moment, because he's trying to will us over the line, but unfortunately others just haven't been able to come along for the ride."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=59020