Author Topic: The Strong and Bold of the century  (Read 4179 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Strong and Bold of the century
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
THE STRONG AND BOLD OF THE CENTURY

BASIL McCORMACK
A hard-as-nails half-back, who endeared himself to Richmond fans throughout the 1920s and 30s with his ruthless approach to the game. Played in seven Grand Finals with the Tigers, for a return of two premierships, and thrived in the pressure-cooker atmosphere of the big-occasion matches.

PERCY BENTLEY
A great on-field leader at Tigerland, who put his physical strength to full advantage for the team in rucking and marking contests. Consistently used his brawny frame to bust open packs, enabling his smaller teammates to gain possession. He was Richmond's longest-serving captain, leading the Club in 168 games from 1932-40.

MAX OPPY
Fiercely determined back pocket from 1942-54, rated by champion Collingwood rover Lou Richards as the toughest defender he ever encountered. Oppy relished handing out bone-jarring bumps, or laying vice-like tackles. He did an excellent tagging job on champion Essendon rover Dick Reynolds in Richmond's 1943 Grand Final triumph.

ROGER DEAN
This' pocket dynamo' gave Richmond outstanding service from 1957-73 as a back pocket and also as a half-forward. The team meant everything to him and he hated individualism. A feisty little Tiger, who worked his way up through the ranks, starting in the fourths and eventually taking over the Club's captaincy - a role he performed with distinction.

MARTIN BOLGER
Was an integral part of the famous Richmond last line of defence during the 1930s, along with Maurie Sheahan and Kevin O'Neill. He was a most determined player, who was seldom beaten. Used his strength well in physical tussles and gave grand service to his beloved Tigers.

DES ROWE
Renowned as one of the best defenders of his era (1946-57). Rowe’s tenacity and ability to stick close to an opponent were features of his game. Was able to combat taller opponents through effective use of his strength in marking and physical contests.

MATTHEW RICHARDSON
Even at age 33, 'Richo' maintains a level of running power that very few big forwards can match. And, he's consistently done so throughout the past 15 years, despite suffering several serious injury setbacks along the way. Gives his all for Richmond every time he steps out on to the field of battle and is revered by the Tiger faithful.

KEVIN SHEEDY
Was a ferocious competitor, whether as a back pocket or ruck-rover. From early in his league career, he knew how to unsettle opponents by getting inside their heads. He was fearless in his desire to get the ball and was a classic example of how hard work can reap rewards.

FRANCIS BOURKE
Became the benchmark for upflinching courage and unstoppable valour on the field throughout a stellar 300-game career with Richmond from 1967-81. From champion wingman, to superb half-back to top-class full-back, his contribution to the Yellow and Black cause was enormous and he was a key figure in five Tiger premierships.   

JACK DYER
No player in the history of the game epitomizes his club more than the man known as “Captain Blood". He struck fear into the hearts and minds of all opposition players during the 1930s and 40s. Was renowned for his bone-jarring shirtfronts, which left many an opponent bloodied, battered and bruised. He bled for the Tigers and expected his teammates to do likewise.

Moi

Re: The Strong and Bold of the century
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
Thought Mopsy might have got a gig in this category, but I voted for the one and only JD.
Not that I ever saw him play, and I'm sure his legend has grown over the years, but hard not to pick him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
Thought Mopsy might have got a gig in this category, but I voted for the one and only JD.
Not that I ever saw him play, and I'm sure his legend has grown over the years, but hard not to pick him.
Yep. Dyer was, is and will always be Richmond  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »
Dyer's reputation sees him through. There is none other that demonstrates all that Richmond should be. A strong and bold and principled man's man. A little bit of a larrikin, with the heart of a lion. A true leader.