Author Topic: Tigers should go distance with Wallace: Malthouse  (Read 2563 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers should go distance with Wallace: Malthouse
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:53:59 AM »
Tigers should go distance with Wallace
Mick Malthouse | The Australian | August 15, 2008

TERRY Wallace is a realist.

He made the blunt assessment this week that if Richmond fails to make the finals next season during the last year of his five-year term as coach, then he would not be surprised if the Tigers replaced him.

He is just one of a host of coaches due to come out of contract at the end of next season, myself included.

As Terry said, we are senior coaches in an elite competition so we understand the ramifications of not producing the results the club's board and supporters require.

It was very wise of Adelaide to move a year early and shore up the immediate future of Neil Craig by extending his contract for two years.

During almost 4 1/2 years as coach of the Crows, Craig has a 62 per cent winning record, which is extraordinary in today's football.

Over a reasonable period of time, a 60 per cent record is an enormous achievement for any coach because teams ebb and flow, it doesn't matter how good you are.

We saw that with the great Brisbane sides between 2001 and 2004, when they played in four grand finals and won three premierships.

The Lions have not been in the finals since, yet Leigh Matthews still has a wonderful win-loss record.

The board at the Lions had the faith in Leigh to believe he could take the side forward again because this is probably his third group of players after inheriting a team, melding it into a champion side, and now basically starting again.

That's an assessment by the club's board of not what he has done in the past, as great as it was, but what he can do in the future.

In my eight full years at Collingwood, we have been in the finals four times and can hopefully play well enough over the remaining three games to achieve that feat again.

When I arrived at Collingwood for the 2000 season, I found myself in the same position as most long-term coaches.

It goes without saying that coaches are usually replaced when a team is struggling so when you arrive you have to assess the playing list.

At Collingwood, we had finished on the bottom with little coming through so I had to slash and burn.

Geelong is a great side at the moment. It will do a Brisbane in the next four or five years and eventually slide. That's the nature of football.

It will be up to the Geelong board to then reassess Bomber Thompson, and by that stage he may have won two or three premierships, who knows?

He will last if the Geelong board believes he can turn another young group of players into a successful unit.

Coaches don't have a lot of contact with each other these days, but I coached Terry Wallace at Footscray and have always enjoyed his company.

He's very pragmatic. He knows what he wants to do as a coach and he can also read the play. You need a board that can do the same thing; that understands where you're headed.

I've been very fortunate with support of the board at Collingwood. When my current contract expires I will have been here 10 years. Will we win a premiership in that time? I don't know.

You always have faith in your abilities but there are constant pressures from supporters demanding success, a media that is almost never satisfied, and most of all the board.

A strong board doesn't bow to public opinion but it can also read when change is needed.

I have the same view as Terry. These are things you accept.

You don't get too hung up over it. In 25 years of coaching, I've never been hung up about the attitude of club boards because they either want you or they don't.

Coaching can be a tough job. Sometimes you have to duck and weave but you always come up swinging, knowing it's your role to produce the best performance at every possible opportunity while keeping in mind the future of the football club.

You must always bring through a sustainable group of young players. No one should forget that Geelong finished 10th the year before it won the premiership, but it was stabilising that side with an elite group of players.

Terry has a good group of young players coming through, but what if a couple of key players get injured next year, he can't produce his best side and the Tigers miss the final eight?

Is that the end for Terry or is he a victim of circumstances? That's the thing boards have to keep in mind.

With new teams due to start on the Gold Coast in 2011 and western Sydney a year or two after that, there will be little chance to replenish existing sides because all the best talent will already be taken.

That will make coaching even harder over the next few years. You will have to develop what you have or recycle and hope that not too many good players retire in that period.

If Richmond does decide to change coaches at the end of next season, it has to assess who is ready to step up, because AFL coaching is an exclusive club.

We have seen this season with first-year coaches Dean Bailey, Matthew Knights, Mark Harvey and Brett Ratten, who started late last season, how hard it is to make inroads into the top eight.

New coaches require patience, but it is a tough gig with no ready-made replacements. I hope Richmond has the courage to go the journey with Terry Wallace.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24182358-16957,00.html

jackstar

Re: Tigers should go distance with Wallace: Malthouse
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:21:09 AM »
Malthouse should concentrate on making sure his players dont go to the GeeBung Hotel this Sunday night, they will never learn at the Lexus Centre ;)

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:36:47 AM »
what would malthouse know, he has no right to say these things, he has no idea what is really going on with the team and club at richmond. lets just say, lots is going on!  ;)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
malthouse...hahahaha

i have never heard a press conference from TW or malthouse where they have not defended each other or
agreed on something.

They are mates of course he was going to say what he did.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
what would malthouse know, he has no right to say these things, he has no idea what is really going on with the team and club at richmond. lets just say, lots is going on!  ;)
stuff off.  You wouldnt have a clue what is going on at the inner sanctum at Richmond any more than most of us.  You poser.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
Richmond premiership player, premiership coach and now some supporters try to write off his opinion as if he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Most would love to have Malthouse as our coach, but they'll turn on him for not supporting their view on things.

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »
would hate it is malthouse coached us!

Tigermonk

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:42:44 AM »
Yep malthouse wants Wallace to coach out his contract so when its up his got a chance to take his spot
wouldnot worry me if Malthouse did coach Richmond,  his a great coach & would be 10 times better than leather skin  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:14:15 AM »
Malhouse has written Tezza should see out his contract and ..........

I'll start a separate thread about this because it was very interesting viewing last night on Fox Sports

But one Kevin Sheedy on "Before the Bounce" last night said Terry should coach in 2009 and see out his contract

So does Sheedy's opnion count  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
Malhouse has written Tezza should see out his contract and ..........

I'll start a separate thread about this because it was very interesting viewing last night on Fox Sports

But one Kevin Sheedy on "Before the Bounce" last night said Terry should coach in 2009 and see out his contract

So does Sheedy's opnion count  ;D

Yes WP i hear what your saying and to answer your question. Yes Sheedy's opinion does count but seriously what did you expect him to say.
"yes the tigers should sack TW right now" That would reek of Sheedy being desperate to return to Richmond as coach.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »

Yes WP i hear what your saying and to answer your question. Yes Sheedy's opinion does count but seriously what did you expect him to say.
"yes the tigers should sack TW right now" That would reek of Sheedy being desperate to return to Richmond as coach.

No he won't say - 'Sack him now' but he is a master media manipulator and could have said something like 'Not a great record has he' or something similiar but he didn't.

I think he genuinely believes TW is doing the right thing for the club and wants him to see out his term.

Stripes

Ox

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 11:17:17 PM »

Yes Sheedy's opinion does count
but seriously what did you expect him to say.

no idea :shh

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »
i thought sheeds was supposed to be coaching us by now, what rot.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »

well brackets is back. How are you going pal.

i love it how you continually reply to my posts.

I must have hit a nerve somewhere. Love it.

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »

well brackets is back. How are you going pal.

i love it how you continually reply to my posts.

I must have hit a nerve somewhere. Love it.

God what an egocentric wanker you are.

:sleep