Author Topic: Wallace safe next year, says Tigers boss (Age)  (Read 2296 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace safe next year, says Tigers boss (Age)
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:34:28 PM »
Wallace safe next year, says Tigers boss
The Age
August 17, 2008 - 12:56PM

Richmond president Gary March has guaranteed coach Terry Wallace will serve out the final year of his contract next season and lashed out at media depictions of the Tigers as a club in crisis.

March said there had been an "hysterical" level of speculation since Tigers football director Greg Miller was sacked three weeks ago that more jobs were set to roll.

"There's been major speculation about our senior coach and it's started to get beyond a joke in recent times," March said at the club's pre-match function ahead of Sunday's MCG clash with Hawthorn.

"I went on the record earlier this year to say that Terry Wallace would coach the Richmond Football Club for his full term.

"I said it when Greg Miller was sacked, I don't know how many other times I've got to say it.

"Richmond has not interviewed any other coaches, no one from the board has approached any other coaches from any other clubs and nor do we intend to approach any other people from any other clubs this year.

"Terry Wallace will coach the Richmond Football Club next year, unless he tells me something different."

March said the Tigers' image as a club that made knee-jerk sackings in response to poor performance had not been applicable for a long time.

"There's been speculation from a few media people that Richmond's in crisis, that we're an instable club," he said.

"We've had one termination in the last five years at the Richmond Football Club, that was Greg Miller in the last couple of weeks, only one.

"Our chief executive has been with the club for nearly five years now, the last Richmond coach to be sacked was 12 years ago.

"But the media seems to think that every time something goes on at Richmond we sack a coach, our last two coaches (Danny Frawley and Wallace) will have served at least five years.

"There have been no other major Richmond departures, the only board change in the last four years was Greg Miller stepping off the board earlier this year, I don't see where the (perception of) instability is coming from."

March also said the Tigers had been criticised both for being too intent on appointing "Richmond people" or for not having enough Richmond people, but said their only aim was to recruit the best available.

He also noted the 11th-placed Tigers had been widely tipped for their second consecutive wooden spoon this season.

"... We've improved immeasurably as a club this year, we're on the cusp of making the finals," he said.

"But we know where we're at, (big losses to Geelong and Adelaide in) the last couple of weeks have shown that, we're not at the top end of the scale.

"We've got a lot of work to do as a football club and we will continue to do that and we'll continue to bring top quality people that will ensure the Richmond Football Club gets back to the top of the ladder."

http://news.smh.com.au/sport/wallace-safe-next-year-says-tigers-boss-20080817-3wxl.html

Moi

Re: Wallace safe next year, says Tigers boss (Age)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
"There's been speculation from a few media people that Richmond's in crisis, that we're an instable club," he said.
http://news.smh.com.au/sport/wallace-safe-next-year-says-tigers-boss-20080817-3wxl.html
With due respect, I don't think it was the media totally stirring the pot.
I think March better have a closer look to within the club
To pass the blame onto the media in this case I don't think is correct.
 :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:05:05 AM »
March's biggest mistake was in not coming out with this as soon as the Miller debacle broke.  You are probably right about the source of some of the stirring Moi but unfortunately the media love to work Richmond over because of our perception of "eating our own".  Crap like that hasn't happened for many years now but it's a safe place to go to when stories are light on.  Remember last year when we had plenty of extenuating circumstances and valid reasons for our ladder position and the media tried it's hardest to suggest/stir up trouble in our club but they were met with a wall of silence and solidarity.  Would have happened much more like that this year too if March had spoken like this much earlier on.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:13:51 AM »
March's biggest mistake was in not coming out with this as soon as the Miller debacle broke.  You are probably right about the source of some of the stirring Moi but unfortunately the media love to work Richmond over because of our perception of "eating our own".  Crap like that hasn't happened for many years now but it's a safe place to go to when stories are light on.  Remember last year when we had plenty of extenuating circumstances and valid reasons for our ladder position and the media tried it's hardest to suggest/stir up trouble in our club but they were met with a wall of silence and solidarity.  Would have happened much more like that this year too if March had spoken like this much earlier on.
Agree with everything you say, but I think in this case there were sabattoirs at work behind the scenes.  Hopefully, the club isn't that stupid and should treat everyone on their merit.  And in this case, I think Wallace has done a terrific job.  It's next year he should be judged on whether or not he should go on, and so he should be.  Unless he is really not handling the position, his contract should be honoured at least till the end of 2009.  And then reassess.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »

Agree with everything you say, but I think in this case there were sabattoirs at work behind the scenes.  Hopefully, the club isn't that stupid and should treat everyone on their merit.  And in this case, I think Wallace has done a terrific job.  It's next year he should be judged on whether or not he should go on, and so he should be.  Unless he is really not handling the position, his contract should be honoured at least till the end of 2009.  And then reassess.

Yep, agree 100% Moi.  :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »
l+o+l

bushranger

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »
He is showing us all that he's there to coach our Tiger to win. And just maybe the penny has dropped and they have started to take on what he's been telling them. Leave him there now and then if we don't make a bigger improvment then it will be curtains for him. But if he can get us into the finals as a contender then we will have to look at it in a totally different way. As like an extention.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »

Agree Moi

I've got no doubt there have people behind the scences stirring - wonder what pub they are drowning the sorrows at today ;D

On the subject of "the Contract"

I've been saying this all along.

Let's just see out the contract and assess at the end of 2009. Blind Freddy knows if there are no finals in 2009 then that will be that.

Struth it isn't that hard

The only thing that would change my mind would be if were sitting on top of the ladder after round 15 next year and had only lost 2 games.  :rollin

After yesterday I am now more stronger in my belief that we have improved... 3 & 1/2 wins in 2007 now 9 & 1/2 wins in 2008, if that isn't improvement then I don't know what it is
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:43:10 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »
we have improved... 3 & 1/2 wins in 2007 now 9 & 1/2 wins in 2008, if that improvement then I don't know what it is
It is impossible to justify how someone could say we should sack a coach based on those figures, with still two more games to go to improve on that.
We hadn't beaten anyone of significance they said.  Well now we have, and Brisbane as well who were above us.
I reckon we can rest our case, WP, and start thumping our chests a liddle bit lol

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:13:11 PM »

I thought March was doing OK until this whole thing blew up.

I'd much rather have a richmond version of Brayshaw.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »

We hadn't beaten anyone of significance they said.  Well now we have, and Brisbane as well who were above us.
And drew with the Dogs after blowing the lead and threw the game against the Saints.  Yep, that old chestnut can be well and truly put to bed now.  Wonder what excuse the Chicken Little's will come up with now?

Ox

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Wasn't the rumor something about the "players" actually complaining.?

Wasn't it Bowden and wasn't it why he was consequently dropped to the magoos ?

Moi

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
Yep, Wallace has definitely lost the players  :rollin

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »
Wheres Jackstar?  ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »
The doomsayers will be quiet this week while they grumble quietly to themselves  :wallywink.

Wallace made sure too he gave as much credit to the assistant coaches after the win.

"We were ready for it and that, to be honest, is a real credit to the coaching staff," Wallace said.

"The assistant coaches who put so much work into that area of the game, probably real credit to the guys who go and do the opposition analysis. They did their homework, we then put a couple of strategies in place to break that down and then you've got the players who stuck to the strategies that we put in place."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24197165-5012432,00.html