Author Topic: March and Wallace rift ....... no more [merged]  (Read 7910 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: March and Wallace rift [merged]
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »
Robert Walls having his say now

Terry Wallace and Tigers president Gary March are at odds. You get the feeling that March is eroding Wallace's power and pull at Richmond. Wallace has done a fine job this year, lifting a young team from bottom to ninth. The coach has the final year of a five-year deal to run. I doubt the contract will be extended.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/final-rounds-winding-path/2008/09/01/1220121134804.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: March denies rift (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 11:53:20 PM »
The board mustn't allow wallace to cough up our early picks for Kerr or Warnock. We are not ready yet to do this, Richmond needs atleast the next draft to find 3 good players from the junior ranks to add to the group. A ruckman, A key forward and a midfielder. 
I agree Ramps, but can someone tell me where and when Wallace said this?  Is there a quote in the newspapers I can refer to?
Here you go Moi.....

Ninth alright for Tigers
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Casanelia
6:02 PM Sun 31 August, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says his side is locked and loaded for season 2009 after rounding out its 2008 home and away campaign with a comprehensive dismantling of wooden-spooner Melbourne.

The win was the Tigers 11th of the season and eight from its last 11 games – only red-hot premiership favourite Geelong has won more games in the second half of the season.

“We’ll take ninth, that’s where we’re at,” Wallace said of the Tigers final ladder position.

“We believe that this time around it’s a strong ninth.

“I genuinely think we are on the improve and what we’ve got to do is take that momentum into summer and ride into the start of next season.”

Wallace hopes the club can add to its list during the October trading period. The Tigers are rumoured to be keen to lure out of contract Fremantle ruckman Robert Warnock to back up the aging Troy Simmonds.

Wallace said the decision might not be his to make.

“I’d like to think we’ve set the scene for the footy club and I’d like to think the club would now give us opportunity got go to the market place,” he said.

“Decisions have to be made there and they’re not all my decisions.

“I think we are now locked and loaded and ready to be able to put in some form of challenge going into next year. What that means is do we go with the group we’ve got at the moment, or can we go out into the market place and add to that?

“That’s a financial decision, it’s not always a footy decision.”

The Tiger coach said 11 wins did not exceed his pre-season expectations and he was thrilled the side was able to finish the year strongly despite fielding a number of inexperienced players.

He said the key to the club’s future success was to get more games into the group and keep it intact for the long haul.

“We’ve come a fair way and we’ve still got a long way to go,” he said.

“Always the challenge for us was to get the young blokes into reasonable form before our senior players were at retirement stage

“That’s clearly a battle we’ve still got but our senior guys have still got a bit of senior footy in them.”

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=66714

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 06:14:36 AM »

Wallace hopes the club can add to its list during the October trading period. The Tigers are rumoured to be keen to lure out of contract Fremantle ruckman Robert Warnock to back up the aging Troy Simmonds.

“I’d like to think we’ve set the scene for the footy club and I’d like to think the club would now give us opportunity got go to the market place,” he said.

I still can't see where Wallace has said he is going for Kerr or Warnock.  I can see rumour and innuendo being used by the media and other forum devotees to embellish their opinion but nowhere have I seen Wallace say we are going for Kerr or Warnock.  All he has asked for permission from the board to do is go to the marketplace.  As always, I am happy for someone to find me the source and I will change my opinion but fwiw, I think we will be chasing a ruckman as our priority and this does not necessarily mean Warnock.  There may well be a number of other options come trade time but if there are none then he will need the security of having the board's permission to get involved in the Warnock trade and even then, that doesn't necessarily mean losing our draft picks, after all - it's Trade week.  And us trading for a ruckman this year is not about saving  butts, it's about enhancing a team structure that still has a few steps to take on it's climb up the ladder.

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »

I still can't see where Wallace has said he is going for Kerr or Warnock.  I can see rumour and innuendo being used by the media and other forum devotees to embellish their opinion but nowhere have I seen Wallace say we are going for Kerr or Warnock.  All he has asked for permission from the board to do is go to the marketplace.  As always, I am happy for someone to find me the source and I will change my opinion but fwiw, I think we will be chasing a ruckman as our priority and this does not necessarily mean Warnock.  There may well be a number of other options come trade time but if there are none then he will need the security of having the board's permission to get involved in the Warnock trade and even then, that doesn't necessarily mean losing our draft picks, after all - it's Trade week.  And us trading for a ruckman this year is not about saving  butts, it's about enhancing a team structure that still has a few steps to take on it's climb up the ladder.

wallace has said a few times now that because we are still very young and on the up, this yrs draft is not that important. he has said we are locked and loaded and its time to top up with big fish. he has said it more than once, i dont understand why or how u have missed those comments

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »

wallace has said a few times now that because we are still very young and on the up, this yrs draft is not that important. he has said we are locked and loaded and its time to top up with big fish. he has said it more than once, i dont understand why or how u have missed those comments

I keep asking, where was it quoted or said?  Locked and loaded - yes, asking permission to go to the marketplace - yes, top up with big fish - no, chasing Kerr or Warnock - no.  Given that he has the reputation of being a media tart that gets his every spoken thought into the press it's reasonable to expect that just one of these statements would have been quoted into an article but I haven't seen one.  As I said earlier, I have seen rumour and innuendo placed strategically around his comments to make it appear that this was his thinking or intent but the guy has not, ever, to my knowledge said that we are chasing either Warnock or Kerr, yet many internet forums are spending a lot of energy discussing 'what he said'.  Have an opinion by all means but don't accuse him of something he hasn't said or done.  And please, it will be so simple to prove me wrong (and I will be more than happy for you to do that) with just one piece of evidence, just one.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 02:16:40 PM »

I keep asking, where was it quoted or said?  Locked and loaded - yes, asking permission to go to the marketplace - yes, top up with big fish - no, chasing Kerr or Warnock - no

I re-read a number of the articles and its the journos that are implying that we are after Kerr, Wallace certainly hasn't said that.

What I read was that Wallace said he'd like the opportunity to go to the market place.

I dont see anything wrong with that, go to the market place and see what is available.

Funny in business I think it is called due diligence and is seen to be being responsible ... no harm in looking around the market to see what's there
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »

you are right on the money, just as Wallace asked last year and year before :whistle

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Wallace and March head for a showdown - Caro
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2008, 02:49:42 AM »
Caro said the situation between March and Wallace has been blown out of proportion. Really just Terry feeling a bit nervous given some of the things that have happened (Miller sacking and how it was handled, Tony Free upseting people, the 5/10 remark by March, etc) and dealing with an inexperienced Board.  She hopes they just sit down and sort it all out between themselves. Hopefully they sat down today and did that.

Caro said March's 5/10 is reasonable mark for the year given Richmond finished 9th.

Healy said that's a laughable mark given the side has gone from 16th to 9th. That's rising up the ladder like a rocket.

Caro rebutted saying oh so you're asking for an improvement mark instead.

Healy said the club is surrounded by negativity as shown by March's 5/10 ranking. Compare that to Carlton and it's fans who are positive about the future and talking about a premiership next year. A Blues fan rang in saying they'll be happy with finals next year.

Caro said we're not negative and she'd give Carlton's year a 4/10.

Healy and Russell laughed at her saying it's one of best 4/10 years they've seen. They then asked Caro why Carlton fans as so positive and she replied they've got Judd.

Good work Caro.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
For those that went last night to the B&F, how was March and Wallace's demeanour towards each other and did they mention each other in their speeches?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »
For those that went last night to the B&F, how was March and Wallace's demeanour towards each other and did they mention each other in their speeches?

Neither mentioned each other that I can recall. Both seemed a little uneasy. March did his best to talk up 09 in an attempt to show coach support. It all seems a bit odd
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »

Neither mentioned each other that I can recall. Both seemed a little uneasy. March did his best to talk up 09 in an attempt to show coach support. It all seems a bit odd

Would be extremely difficult for March to show some decorum/ diplomacy after what hapenned.
Any person who has had their performance questioned publically like that would naturally feel that the sharks are circling. Just makes the pre season the draw for next year and the first half dozen rounds critical to Wallace and whether he will see out the season.
Any continued animosity may impact on membership and proposed sponsors for next year so the club needs to shut up and focus.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »

I thought March ended up talking up 2008 as well  :P ;D, the way he spoke about 2008 you could argue he was giving it mroe than 5/10 :rollin.

Wallace, in his speech thanked everyone at the Club from the "top, the Board, CEO, admin staff and everyone in the the Footy Dept" but did not mention March directly

Personally, I thought Wallace got the "warmest" welcome from the 1000 folks there  :rollin :rollin
 :gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »

I thought March ended up talking up 2008 as well  :P ;D, the way he spoke about 2008 you could argue he was giving it mroe than 5/10 :rollin.

Wallace, in his speech thanked everyone at the Club from the "top, the Board, CEO, admin staff and everyone in the the Footy Dept" but did not mention March directly

Personally, I thought Wallace got the "warmest" welcome from the 1000 folks there  :rollin :rollin
lol all very diplomatic.

March must have changed his ranking to a high "5" once he dope remembered that the club needs members and sponsors  :wallywink
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »

lol all very diplomatic.

March must have changed his ranking to a high "5" once he dope remembered that the club needs members and sponsors  :wallywink

stuff u have a small memory MT.

I wouldn't be throwing stones at March, lets not forget that Wallace came out and said we will fight for a flag in 5 years time or 2011 whatever it was.

Yes ur stuffin right the club need sponsors and members and that will go down as the most stuffed up comment i have ever heard from a coach.
whether it was true or not, it remains to be seen but one thing is for sure those comments should be kept in house not blurted out.

I have never heard a Malthouse or Sheedy type saying that. positive thoughts is what we need and i can bet you 1 million dollars the stuffwit wouldn't be repeating comments like ever again.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »

eff u have a small memory MT.

I wouldn't be throwing stones at March, lets not forget that Wallace came out and said we will fight for a flag in 5 years time or 2011 whatever it was.

Yes ur effin right the club need sponsors and members and that will go down as the most stuffed up comment i have ever heard from a coach.
whether it was true or not, it remains to be seen but one thing is for sure those comments should be kept in house not blurted out.

I have never heard a Malthouse or Sheedy type saying that. positive thoughts is what we need and i can bet you 1 million dollars the effwit wouldn't be repeating comments like ever again.

Here are the facts of what Wallace said.  When interviewed in late March 2007 he presented a detailed vision of the club's planned (and likely) on-field track.  In many reports stemming from this "Tuesdays With Terry" (one quoted below is from an article by Damien Barrett and Michael Stevens http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21460858-23211,00.html) it was reported widely words to the effect:

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says opportunity will knock for the Tigers in 2009, with a "decade of opportunity" to kick in from 2011.

"What opportunity that is, no one knows, but, certainly, it will be a time for us when two age brackets (of players) meet," Wallace said.

Wallace yesterday revealed detailed planning relating to Richmond's current and future playing list.

He said successful clubs needed many of their good players in the 22-26 age group.

"That's the age bracket that wins premierships," said Wallace, entering his third year as Tigers coach.

And more from that same article:

The club's future looks bright with its finances improving yearly.

Chief executive Steven Wright said he expected a $1 million profit this year and debt to fall to $3.5 million from $5.2 million in 2004.

With a $7 million redevelopment of Punt Rd to begin soon, Wright said the mood at the club was buoyant.

That was only 18 months ago and I would think that this type of presentation and vision would do nothing to scare off potential sponsors - much more likely to do the reverse and encourage them to come on board with a club that was following a strong and bold plan in getting it's on-field and off-field act together and become successful once again.  The club had demonstrated it was capable of sticking to the plan and that in almost all measurable areas, the plan was working.  Since then we have seen the football department continue it's efforts and presence of mind in sticking to the plan and lo and behold - here we are 18 months down the track and staring at - yes, thats right, "opportunity knocking in 2009", exactly as planned.  The board however (not the paid administrators or employees but the board and mainly through the president), have decided for reasons known only to themselves to take on (in public) a destabilising stance that has placed the club in the spotlight for the wrong reasons at a critical time of trying to secure key personnel and sponsorships.  Wallace's comments were neither blurted out, unreasonable, mis-timed, negative or counter-productive however the same can most certainly not be said for most of March's or Free's.  Poorly timed, ill thought out, counter-productive and potentially damaging - the club has a right to expect much more from it's ruling council during this hard and long journey back to respectability and success - not the continuance of ego-driven factional power plays.