Author Topic: Tom Hislop [merged]  (Read 23370 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 58. Tom Hislop [merged]
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »

compared to them eff of course we are but in my life time we are pathetic.

So nothing else matters or counts if it didn't happen in your lifetime?

i dont accept mediocre

Mediocrity - and none of us do Daniel, even those who have been lucky enough to see success in our lifetimes.

until we regulary make finals and win flags in my eyes we have failed

That's the problem with judging something - you can only ever be right in hindsight.  Only courageous people will stand up for the present and attempt to forecast the future.  It is soooooo easy to be critical on the past.  Yes we have failed in the past but for the past few years we have not done anything the same as the past - look through the woods of prejudice and find the trees of reality.

we had it all in the 70's and 80's and blew it away with pathetic trades. Guess what nothing has changed.

Guess what.  I lived through it and soooooo much has changed.  See above.

The supporters are the ONLY reason this team is still alive today. 30 k supporters with no finals tell me which club would have survived as we have.

I could mention the Swans or the Bulldogs or the Saints here.  They had/have a smaller supporter base, have spent far longer 'in the wilderness' than us, and yet they survive just as well as us to this day.  Don't get carried away by the concept of the 'almighty Richmond supporter' carrying us on forever.  We are just as exposed as most other clubs to the hardships and uncertainty that lack of success brings.  If you really want to make a difference and support a club worth supporting then look for the good and promote it - shout it from the rooftops, sell it on the street corners, wear the colours with pride and a positive outlook.  I promise you - it will be far more uplifting and life enhancing than always seeing a glass half empty.

Ramps

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2008, 10:36:10 PM »
Bring back Baghdad Bob  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
Went for a drink last night and met a massive Bomber fan who provided some insight into Tom Hislop.

Firstly he suggested Hislop has some drug and alcohol related issues but the final straw was after the Bomber B&F this year when Hislop went to Bar 20 with his own mates and had an altercation with a guy and glassed him.

It was then Matty Knights sent him on his way.

Now i cant cant confirm if this is true but this is what he said. He seemed to know a lot but as i said who knows.

Can someone confirm what this guy did?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »
Went for a drink last night and met a massive Bomber fan who provided some insight into Tom Hislop.

Firstly he suggested Hislop has some drug and alcohol related issues but the final straw was after the Bomber B&F this year when Hislop went to Bar 20 with his own mates and had an altercation with a guy and glassed him.

It was then Matty Knights sent him on his way.

Now i cant cant confirm if this is true but this is what he said. He seemed to know a lot but as i said who knows.

Can someone confirm what this guy did?

Yeah that's the main rumour although I think the whole glassing thing has been skewed a bit as I have heard/read many different version of events on what actually happened in the altercation.  Also it's all alcohol abuse issues as far as I'm aware, I've never heard him related to drugs whatsoever.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
If he glassed anyone then he'd be charged with assault or most likely assault with a deadly weapon and it would be all over the news.
It still didn't stop Essendon offering him a contract for next year.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »
If this is the case then i was wrong by comparing meyer to Hislop.
Meyer is an outstanding guy compared to this thug.

it makes peeing on a wall seem like a joke compared to this carry on.

One thing this Essendon supporter said is he aint affraid of a fight. Thats all good and well but he needs to play footy not be a thug which i expect him to be.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »

One thing this Essendon supporter said is he aint affraid of a fight. Thats all good and well but he needs to play footy not be a thug which i expect him to be.

No doubt he needs to iron out his troubles but lets not hang him out to dry on chinese whispers we dont know are true.  We know he had an altercation but there are many versions of events about that night that doesnt involve him glassing someone and actually says that he was victim of a glassing in the altercation and ended up at the emergency department of a hospital.

So victim or villian?  We do not know.

Same age as me and went to school not too far away from me.  Never came across as a thug and played footy with no aggression that wasn't about winning the ball despite him being monster size in school footy that he couldve flattened nearly everyone, and never seemed a bad bloke when I came across him.  But I never came across him drunk.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »
I'm glad we are back on topic again.

Interesting what you report daniel. I hope you are wrong about the drugs issue. If it is just alcohol then this sounds like a maturity issue rather than a terminal problem. This could be the making of the lad - a fresh start. If he seems to be heading down the same path once again then we tie him up with an air tight behaviour contract and if he stuffs up again we cut him free. I don't think it will get to this though.

Hislop sounds like a speculative pick to me - he could go either way a bit like when Buddy was chosen. I think he will end up being a real find.

Stripes

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »

No doubt he needs to iron out his troubles but lets not hang him out to dry on chinese whispers we dont know are true.  We know he had an altercation but there are many versions of events about that night that doesnt involve him glassing someone and actually says that he was victim of a glassing in the altercation and ended up at the emergency department of a hospital.

Same age as me and went to school not too far away from me.  Never came across as a thug and played footy with no aggression that wasn't about winning the ball despite him being monster size in school footy that he couldve flattened nearly everyone, and never seemed a bad bloke when I came across him.  But I never came across him drunk.
I heard from a friend of a friend that Hislop actually shot JFK and not Lee Harvey Oswald is good friends with Osama Bin Laden and actually flew one of the Planes and survived :lol

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

I heard from a friend of a friend that Hislop actually shot JFK and not Lee Harvey Oswald is good friends with Osama Bin Laden and actually flew one of the Planes and survived :lol

He was also the one that planted drugs on Schapelle Corby and was the one who supplied David Hicks with the RPG he was photographed with.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »
Have you guys been posting to Bomber Blitz?  :o

Wow, what an eye-opening experience after spending a couple of hours of my Sunday following the links in one-eyed's post.  I thought we had some 'challenged' types supporting us that posted to various forums but boy, they don't blow wind up the backside of many on the BB site.  Some of the comments and opinions are actually a bit scary from the perspective of "these people actually exist".  They have spent nearly 3 months and over 80 pages dissecting and arguing the merits of Tom Hislop and his move (eventually) to Richmond.  Aside from the saturation of 'bogan-esque' comments, what I was able to glean is that he is a 20 year old kid with potential who has stuffed up a few times, although never in a 'public crime' sense.  He might make it, he might not, but he appeared to have a fair number of supporters who thought he was worth persevering with.  Many others felt he had been given enough chances and was not 'salvageable' from a football perspective.  How much of this was attributed to his 'defection' (as many saw it) I can only guess.  End of the day it seems we have drafted what we thought we had - a kid that needs (a) to grow up and (b) the support of his new club, while he finds his place in the bigger AFL picture.  He might not ever make make it but we certainly appear to have something to work with.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
Yep they are a funny lot over there at BB. According to them their young KPPs are all stars in the making because they haven't played an AFL game yet while ours are crap because they are playing senior footy and not dominating every week  ??? :rollin. Yep Jack Riewoldt is a dud because he only kicked 1 or 2 goals against Essendon and not 5 like the week before against the Eagles :lol.

Back on Hislop, the B&F incident did put him on the outer at Windy Hill but if he had done anything criminal like assault it would've been in the papers and he would've been charged by the cops and off to court. What he does need to do from now on is stay off the booze.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »

Wow, what an eye-opening experience after spending a couple of hours of my Sunday following the links in one-eyed's post.  I thought we had some 'challenged' types supporting us that posted to various forums but boy, they don't blow wind up the backside of many on the BB site.  Some of the comments and opinions are actually a bit scary from the perspective of "these people actually exist". 

Yep, when I get bored I have a look over there to see what the wild animals are doing in the zoo.  Usually they have been let out of the cages and are going hammer and tongs at each with a few carcasses strewn on the sidelines.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

Wow, what an eye-opening experience after spending a couple of hours of my Sunday following the links in one-eyed's post.  I thought we had some 'challenged' types supporting us that posted to various forums but boy, they don't blow wind up the backside of many on the BB site.  Some of the comments and opinions are actually a bit scary from the perspective of "these people actually exist". 

Yep, when I get bored I have a look over there to see what the wild animals are doing in the zoo.  Usually they have been let out of the cages and are going hammer and tongs at each with a few carcasses strewn on the sidelines.

Maybe one of these guys ended up in some Barney Rubble with Tom Hislop? Can't say we could blame him.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”