Author Topic: Tom Hislop [merged]  (Read 23319 times)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Tom Hislop [merged]
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
Hopefully he takes Farmers spot.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Tom wins promotion (RFC)
« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »

Ox

« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »

Farmer- what a shitman.

He could have played in Terry and Spuds all stars

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
Serious question:
Does anyone think that Hislop could be a decent inside mid?
I think we could use another  ball winner seeing as our contested game is way down and Tucky's output appears to be on the decline.
The general consensus has always been that he is tough but too scrappy with his disposal, but i hear that he has been playing well at Coburg.
Is his contested work/handballing good enough to potentially fill this role?

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
Serious question:
Does anyone think that Hislop could be a decent inside mid?
I think we could use another  ball winner seeing as our contested game is way down and Tucky's output appears to be on the decline.
The general consensus has always been that he is tough but too scrappy with his disposal, but i hear that he has been playing well at Coburg.
Is his contested work/handballing good enough to potentially fill this role?
that is the exact reason he has been elevated & named

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
I dont believe that a player could even make it onto an AFL if his disposal as what we have seen from hislop in recent times.

The claw actually rated him as junior, which i doubt would happen if his disposal was that poor.

My suspicion is that his dicky knees and associated problems made someone with average disposal look like a retread.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Good luck Tom. :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »
I dont believe that a player could even make it onto an AFL if his disposal as what we have seen from hislop in recent times.

The claw actually rated him as junior, which i doubt would happen if his disposal was that poor.

My suspicion is that his dicky knees and associated problems made someone with average disposal look like a retread.
agree thing is im totally over any player who cant use well.

for me three things with tom have spelt trouble. kicking, pace and motor. if he plays as an inside mid pacxe and to a lesser extent kicking  are problems that can be tolerated.

as a junior and i have to say there were a fair few people who liked aspects of hislops game, tom was a very good mid really big bodied really hard at it strong in tight and packs and he won heaps of ball. he shone at u18s and in the vfl.

one thing for sure if tom is to ever make it at afl level he has to play in the midfield, imo he just doesnt have the attributes to play anywhere else at afl level. if he can play inside kicking and pace are not so important but motor is.
for me ive given up on him with the weaknesses he has.  i think we hang onto borderline players for too long and have complained about it bitterly over the yrs. few of those that we have hung onto have ever really gone on with it.
 tom may well find his niche i hope he does but if i was in charge he would be finding that niche elsewhere. as it is hes with us and good luck to him.
imo he needed to desperately find a yard of pace imo he needed to take of some bulk i think this yr hes done that if his fitness/motor is up well who knows.

the claw

« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »

Farmer- what a pooman.

He could have played in Terry and Spuds all stars
yep farmer is a strange one.
we got him as a small defender but he has one glaring weakness for this role its called pace.  so we now play him as a small forward and one of the attributes you really need for that role is pace.
in a lot of ways srtrengths weaknesses  hes in the same boat as hislop.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
Call me crazy but I actually think Hislop will make it.

If he can stay fit I just think he could be a gun tagger or inside mid or even defensive forward.

Call me crazy, I dunno I just have a feeling.
Go Tigers!

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
Good luck to Tommy, I hope he kicks arse! Unlike Farmer Tom's had some really good VFL form.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
I think he can play the role that Brad Miller has been playing lately, a junior CHF, CHF-lite, a Claytons CHF if you know what I mean. Bust a couple of packs.

Offline Shiner

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »

I reckon a huge part of whether players make it or not, is obviously fitness.
Lack of stamina makes fast footballers slow and good kicks sloppy ones.

You may be fast... but if you don't have the motor... then each sprint gets slower, kicks shorten, targets get missed and you come back to the pack.
To be consistently fast... all day, you have to be extremely fit.
Same with disposal, decision making and of course the ability to gut run and make 2nd and 3rd efforts (1%ers), link up play and so on.

The reason why Robbie Nahas has improved so much is because he can now run hard and fast all day.... and be involved more than once in a passage of play.
It's the key to Dane Swan's rise to elite level.... his incredible fitness. It makes the good players great and the great players the best players.

I know when I played as a midfielder.... my mantra was to run hard all day and I would get into the flow of the game.If I didn't run hard enough... I played like crap.
Same when I boxed.... when unfit I looked great for about the first five combinations i threw... after 2 minutes, I looked more like a drunken bum than a boxer.
Until I was fit enough, then I could throw punches all day and do what i wanted my body to do.
When you are at peak fitness, you are mentally strong and you can push your body to it's limits trusting it to be able to serve your will.
Then you talent and skills can come to the fore.

Footy isn't just getting to where the ball is.... it's knowing where it's going to be and getting there as well.... fitness.
Fitness builds confidence, then skills and decision making improve and a player can then reach their true potential.

The key with Tom is fitness... and if he can get the fittest he can possibly be... then I believe he can surprise and become a very good player for us.
He has the ability.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »
I think Claw has made some very valid points. Good luck to Tom.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »
agree thing is im totally over any player who cant use well.

for me three things with tom have spelt trouble. kicking, pace and motor. if he plays as an inside mid pacxe and to a lesser extent kicking  are problems that can be tolerated.

as a junior and i have to say there were a fair few people who liked aspects of hislops game, tom was a very good mid really big bodied really hard at it strong in tight and packs and he won heaps of ball. he shone at u18s and in the vfl.

one thing for sure if tom is to ever make it at afl level he has to play in the midfield, imo he just doesnt have the attributes to play anywhere else at afl level. if he can play inside kicking and pace are not so important but motor is.
for me ive given up on him with the weaknesses he has.  i think we hang onto borderline players for too long and have complained about it bitterly over the yrs. few of those that we have hung onto have ever really gone on with it.
 tom may well find his niche i hope he does but if i was in charge he would be finding that niche elsewhere. as it is hes with us and good luck to him.
imo he needed to desperately find a yard of pace imo he needed to take of some bulk i think this yr hes done that if his fitness/motor is up well who knows.

Agree with all that. I don't give Sloppy much hope at senior level even if he's over the injuries.